Agnostic.com

66 7

Does online dating actually result in long term happy relationships? What is your personal experience? Iā€™m just finding it horrible for my self esteem.

BookishAngel 4 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

66 comments (51 - 66)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been on a few dating sites and they were all a waste of time, nobody appeared that serious about even having a conversation. Most of the women had a list of prerequisites that were so long I'd lost the will to live before I got to the end, the one that pisses me off the most is that I'm not tall enough!!! Tall enough to what, play basketball #FFS
All that being said i did have one relationship that lasted 6 months and it was delightful but there were other factors that got in the way so all I would say is don't take it too seriously, be very careful when meeting up, applies more to the girls than the boys, and stay on here, at least we talk to each other šŸ™‚

It turned out great for me and my girl. I think what matters most is keeping an open mind and weighing goods/ bads objectively.

You are pretty by 5he way

After breaking up with my second partner (96'šŸ˜‰ I joined some dating groups (not online) and met quite a few interesting women. One was a former nun who decided that, that life wasn't for her and I was the first guy she went out with. I was a mild atheist and she was a 40+ year old Catholic/virgin and totally inexperienced with men. Another woman (who didnā€™t respond to my interest but who I met later - she didn't recognize me but I did her) was a PhD in toxicology. She was petit and it was at a Sierra club picnic. She was with some big, dumb guy and she was ordering him around like a puppy dog. That sent a big, scary message. Another was a Psychologist who had a chain of offices along the West Coast (needless to say she was wealthy). She had no children and was looking for a mate to babysit a child she was going to adopt from China. Nothing came of a year of that experience and I actually met my perfect partner through an introduction from my sister. Now I am with an online group (and here) as, to me, it gives more choices than if one looked on their own. It is also better to get to know someone before meeting them as sometimes chemistry can actually get in the way. But, as with life itself, luck plays a big part.

You only get those things written on your birth guarantee. What? You didn't get a birth guarantee? Well, then nothing is guaranteed.

One of the greatest of life's lessons is that there is no certain way to get or accomplish anything. That life is what we make of it and how we respond to the randomness of the whole process. That self esteem is an internal process that can be coopted by external events only if we allow it to happen. That much of what we think of ourselves and about our world was generated in us before we were old enough to form strong, independent thoughts of our own.

Time now to cut that cord, open the cage door, stretch out the wings and fly away. Anything less gives up your power to the before world.

For me, I find meeting in person to be a better fit. A lot of the guys I met online were not very much like their online persona. I get a better read on people in person, so I've decided to stick with that.

The problem for me is that I'm a liberal atheist in a conservative location. The odds are slim that I'll run into a romantic match. At my age, though, friends are enough. I'm not wondering about raising kids with someone or things like that anymore.

I'm sure others have had it work, but I find it rather lame and I've given it several tries. Probably because I'm very particular, jaded, picky whatever you want to call it.

I should add that I actually married someone I met online. We were together for six years, married for 4. I finally came to the conclusion he possibly pretended to love me to get a green card. He says thatā€™s not the case of course. Unfortunately now when anyone messages me who is originally from somewhere else I am on guard. This is my one online dating ā€œsuccessā€ lol

I met a woman like you (not online but a dating site) who looked completely different than her profile. She admitted she had met her husband with the group and it was a happy relationship for 10 years. He died suddenly so she simply resubmitted her original profile!

Let me point out a problem I deal with daily. Women promising NSA sex. I followed through to a certain point to see how their scam played out. They are usually attractive, live nearby(they claim), they just need you to join a website to prove your not a sexual predator. After pointing out that is free "she" insisted. What it comes down to is they want your credit card number. So beware. šŸ™‚

I've tried it with very little luck. The bright spot was running across my ex-wife's online dating profiles. She had 3 of them. Lied about her age and vocation in evry one of them!!! I suppose it's rampant. The lying, I mean. So she hooked up with a loser and moved him into the house and he can't stay out of the hospital or hold a job. Now she's having to take care of a dead-beat and I'm loving it. That's my experience with online.

@okiestache Yeah! Looks like that's how it worked.

Online dating isn't something I'll attempt anymore.
If it's harming your self-esteem, stop doing it.
You're more important then anyone you'll ever meet online.

Dating online leaves a lot to the imagination šŸ™‚
Imagine finding your 'soul mate' online.
You'll probably do it šŸ™‚

I met my girlfriend through someone I met on a online dating site does that count lol.

How long is a peice of string?

I come from a generation that still finds it distasteful to use online dating.
A general sense of being desperate or pathetic. I'm betting the percentage of my age group that is digitally savvy is much lower than it is for the under 40 crowd

Hmmm..... We're the same generation. I've never met anybody that looked down upon online dating.

@BlueWave Lucky you. Most of them just make a face but Ive had a few actually say that they would "find someone on my own". Another said, " I will never be that desperate"

@SherryMartin Wow. Rude!

As long as men and women are inovlved , probibly just a few . No matter how you meet , there will be those who adjust the trueth about who they really are and what they want , and what they plan to do in return , in order to attract another . But eventually , the trueth will come out .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.