Agnostic.com

13 18

Wolves are back in Washington State after being nearly exterminated. Hooray!

"That's a wolf track," Karen said, pointing beside the snowy trail. She is great at identifying animal tracks.

Last Tuesday, we were hiking near Blewett Pass. The wolf track looked huge. I thought it was a bear because of its size. But bear tracks have a round pad in the middle.

"There's a wolf pack that travels between Blewett Pass and the Teanaway," she said. The Teanaway has a large elk population. We often see elk tracks while hiking.

"Last week, a friend of mine heard wolves howling from her house at Forest Ridge," Karen said. "At first, she thought it was dogs because she never heard wolves up there."

"Now, gray wolves howl in the night across broad swaths of eastern Washington, thrilling naturalists and spooking ranchers. The population has grown by an average of 28% a year since 2008, said Staci Lehman, a Fish & Wildlife Department spokeswoman in Spokane."

[phys.org]

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I prefer evolution.

My favorite memory growing up was spending time in the Northern Minnesota Boundary Waters and on rare occasion hearing wolves howl late at night. I was once lucky enough to see one trot across the dirt road returning from a remote blueberry picking trip. Up here in Alaska wolves are not uncommon - but rare to see since they are reclusive by nature and they avoid human contact. I have seen a small pack from a distance in Denali Park and there are rare reports of wolves attacking dogs on remote hiking trails even near Anchorage. The sad reality is that wolf trapping is still allowed up here and in other states. Not for any justifiable reason except that the trapper can get several hundred dollars for the fur - and that is very sad...

I have only seen one (single) wolf in all of my years.

It was 8 years ago in the Michigan UP on a small state road.

It was standing at a cleared area looking up and down the road, nearly hidden.

Went a few 100 yards before turning around. He/she was not there or anywhere to be seen by the time I got back.

Excellent !

Interesting, just been studying the release of wolves in Idaho.

Excellent post, however, take care in revealing the location, there are 2 legged beasts in the shadows who love to destroy wonderful creatures down the barrel of a rifle just for kicks! A dear friend of mine in England has a Badgers sett on his land where they live in peace, he has set up trail cameras to monitor them and emails wonderful pictures to me, he would never make public the location because of the afore mentioned!

@Austin-Cambridge

Gray wolves are protected in Washington State.

@LiterateHiker there is nothing in this world so beautiful that some human will want to destroy it

@LiterateHiker As all wildlife should be but only from us, very sad really! Badger baiting as they call it is considered a sport among a few "redneck assholes" as you would call them, it continues nevertheless, heartless brutes is my humble opinion! Still, a nice and interesting post, thanks!

good for the wolves

They are lucky they got in before Trump decides to build a wall around Washington!

wolves are slowly spreading down from Canada and into California ... a male timber wolf, well fed as a pup, can grow up to 150lb, maybe more .... awesome dogs, but unlikely to approach humans ... course you never know

Get ready for lots of controversy.
Although there’s no documented cases of healthy wolves attacking humans, they will feed on livestock.
Having wolves back in the ecosystem will do amazing things in terms of restoring the landscape, but there will likely need to be hunting or trapping to manage the population.

There are multiple packs in the Bitterroot Valley where I used to live. A veterinarian working at the NIH lab there felt that there would likely be a point where there would be a confrontation between wolves and someone out walking their dog.

It’s a mixed bag, personally I like having wolves back on the land but there are difficulties in terms of livestock sharing the same habitat.

[ravallirepublic.com]

sounds of nature , lot of people love wolf howls We have a large park about 3 hours from me Algonquin ,has large work population and they have guides to take people to places where they can safely listen for wolf howls at night

You may want to lobby your congress critters to stop this, then.

[npr.org]

Excellent, they are not predatory on people or livestock,very shy in fact. It's good to see nature restoring itself

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 25, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:418116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.