Agnostic.com

50 5

Do you give to beggars?

If yes, why?

If no, why not?

If only to certain beggars, why those beggars and not others?

• 28 votes
  • 25 votes
  • 26 votes
Jnei 8 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was homeless and living in a shelter for 18 long months..for the 1st six months I carried 25# of clothes on my back..Not a fucking one of you Understand Exactly what it is to be Without a Home..you post your Happy questions about what it's like to be Atheist..Fuck You and your sorry ass White priviledged life..I survived Homelessness And cancer..a the same Fucking time..to read your sorry excusses to people begging is at best ..pathetic..at worst inhuman..The day of awakening is looming..you best know someone that can beg and live on the streets..cause it's about to fall on you're sorry asses..

Having been homeless myself..yes I do..gladly.

I do. I only hope that I am never in their situation. I have given as much as 20$, and never less than 2$, and that was only because I was flat broke.

I rent a room to a friend who was homeless for a while he taught me how to spot fakers. Lot more fakers than needers.

What were the signs of fakers?

@BlueWave Hair for one, fakers hair short, regular looking haircut, real needers maybe almost to the shoulder. Needers have long straggly beard, untrimmed, about 1 to 2 inches long no more. Needers clothes are a bit worn, slightly dirty but not filthy. Shoes are a dead give away, needers shoes, dirty, worn, laces if any might be to short or broken and retied together. Needers carry all their possessions with them, look for over stuffed knapsacks, totes or similar baggage. Bicycle nearby that has seen better days. You can't see all these signs at once but you can catch one or two at a glance. Hope this helps.

I used to give to beggars because I felt lucky not to be on the street like them. However, over the years, I began to realize they need to help themselves (if they are able bodied). I also think maybe half of them use the money for their addictions which I don't want to be a part of. I think most people can find a job doing something if they try hard enough.

I didn't used to, but I've gone soft over the years. I won't stop traffic to give a handout, but otherwise, I'll usually slide them a buck or two. They can get food at shelters, so I know they're going to use it for ciggs, alcohol or drugs. But who can blame them for that, really?

Absolutely not. It is far better to give to organizations that help the homeless than to the individuals. To me that is enabling.

Years ago, at our companies annual holiday event the United Way asked that question. They also said not to give to beggers as there were plenty of programs in the city to help these people.

Did the United Way also tell you that 80% of all donations went to paying the board members?

@Charlene There is always overhead. The thing is that United Way was not soliciting for homeless programs. They were only saying that the city of Seattle had ample programs to help those who really wanted help.

I had a friend in Germany who was young and homeless. He would do odd jobs (he was a master at plaster work) and find places to sleep. He would use his money to get drunk. I spoke with him and he said he just wanted to be left alone to do whatever he wanted. He disappeared and I asked another what happened to him. I was told he hoped on a tramp steamer and made his way to Mexico where he got drunk and got into a bar fight and got stabbed to death. Many people have this feeling of complete independence (read "The Stranger in the Woods" ) and don't want to conform to any social norms. Diogenese of Sinop, who is considered the father of cynic philosophy, said that if one wants to know true life one must live in a barrel with the dogs on the street!

When I see and read about the needles and other drug paraphernalia I don't give because it doesn't help.

I give to those that I perceive are honest, but there are a few scammers in my town that I shun.

No, but I've taken food to beggars, though.

Near where I live by the freeway there are always people standing out with a sign, homeless etc. I don't. I always think are they are going to buy booze or drugs with the days money. Now I understand the concept it's not my business, just give but its my money. Going and buying crappy fast food is no better. They need to go to Health and Human Services and get help. They can get them help.

Absolutely not most of those people use the money to get high with.

What's wrong with getting high?

@tymtravler When there are people genuinely in need of food everything.

The area I live in has a real problem with panhandlers... The local government put up signs on almost every intersection asking people not to donate to them, and includes phone numbers to call for help. Hard to feel sorry for someone sitting under a sign with instructions on what to do if you're homeless.

Totally depends on how I’m feeling that day and if I get a good feeling from them.

The last beggar I gave money too I found later fucked up with a needle hanging out of his arm. I normally get them something rather than money.

Some homeless people don't want to stay in shelters because they aren't always safe. I'm not casting aspersions on people who volunteer at or work in shelters. They are too often underpaid, and shelters are often underfunded, at least in the US.

A dear friend is a social worker who works in a big city shelter for men recently released from prison. Some of the men being released shouldn't be. As far as I know, there's no way to reform a violent psychopath. A burly co-worker's arm was broken by one of these men, and more passive men are often bullied by them. There are more humane ways to incarcerate those who can not, at this time, be reformed. It doesn't help that the US prison system is broken.

Many shelters don't allow companion animals. A cat or dog might provide the only emotional support and regular companionship a homeless person gets, and might also provide protection. Most subsidized housing doesn't allow companion animals, so even if someone would get off the street and into their own place, they'd have to "surrender" their pet.

Why would someone with a pet not jump at the chance to get into housing and send their pet to a shelter? Many animal "shelters" in the US are more like death row. There may be an assessment/holding period, but if the animal is too old to be deemed easily adoptable, or a kitten under 8 weeks, off they go to be "euthanized" unless there are rescue organizations willing to foster. Euthanizaiton sounds painless and peaceful, but it often isn't.

It is impossible to fill out job applicatons without an address, and many businesses won't hire people wthout a car or telephone. If you don't have a place to wash, or facilities to wash your clothing, that's another impediment to getting a job.

"According to the 2010 SAMHSA report: 34.7% of all sheltered adults who were homeless had chronic substance abuse issues" That would seem to contradict the sentiment of so many who will not give to panhandlers or beggars because "they're just going to go spend it on drugs or alchool".

The Wikipedia article on homelessness in the US is accurate, as far as I can tell.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Causes of homelessness in the United States include lack of affordable housing, divorce, lawful eviction, negative cash flow, post traumatic stress disorder, foreclosure, fire, natural disasters (hurricane, earthquake, or flood), mental illness, physical disability, having no family or supportive relatives, substance abuse, lack of needed services, elimination of pensions and unemployment entitlements, no or inadequate income sources (such as Social Security, stock dividends, or annuity), poverty (no net worth), gambling, unemployment, and low-paying jobs. Homelessness in the United States affects many segments of the population, including families, children, domestic violence victims, ex-convicts, veterans, and the aged."

So if I can afford to, I always give to beggars/panhandlers. When I had a working car, I picked up hitchhikers, too. Mass transit is nonexistent or has been gutted in many parts of the US.

Sometimes. I think I do it because I can and my life really won't be altered by doing it. I get frustrated at times though because my life isn't always great.

I was recently deported from London England with 3 British pounds in my pocket and the clothes on my back. That really hasn't changed much but more money in my pocket and a job that beats me bad. The people that hit me up for change or cigarettes on my way to work have the very same chances as I do.
Sometimes I carry new guys at work but then I watch them buy weed or something useless with the little money they've just earned and it makes me furious. Not that they owe me because my gifts are gifts but the total disregard to their own circumstances.

I may give to street entertainers if it is real enjoyable and not intimidated but not to pathetic bludgers!

What is a pathetic bludger?

I tend to look at them. The other day there was a guy begging that rode a $2000 bicycle to the spot to beg. It makes me mad that people who don't need help make it worse for those who do. If I think there in actual need yes.

I look at their shoes.....it's evident who needs some financial help......

jasen Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

When I see them smoking I realize they don't really have money problems.

Almost never carry any cash to give away.

Honestly depends. So many people out here hustling, it’s hard not to feel taken sometimes. There was this one guy who walked up on me leaving an atm. He gave me a sob story about just leaving a halfway house and not having a job and whatnot. I didn’t have anything to spare (it was rent money and I struggle myself) but I was trying not to be rude. Then he hit me with the “I’m not drinking anymore” line... and hit me harder with his alcohol breath. I lit his ass up I was so pissed! Anecdotal, I know, but it sums up how it sometimes feels like you’re getting played.

I would give to beggers but the only ones we get in my area are false. They want to come inside for a drink of water or to use the bathroom. Often a child is with them. They use this child to help gain entrance and then case the joint, also stealing all your meds from your bathroom. Since they have been inside your home you could be robbed in the future. This is the way of dopers in my area of about 1200 people. Sorry! I'm not your mark.
But if I do get a real begger and I can see they are real I might help them. They still cannot come inside. I will serve them on my porch instead.

When this happened to you, did you confront the person? Call the police?

@BlueWave What I am saying is that I am streetwise. This is how people do today. I'm aware of what I'm reporting. It did not happen to me personally.

I gladly offer food/beverages....mostly earn "fuck you" from it because they want cash for drugs........sigh.

And you know they're only begging for mobey how?..is it because you assume they're saying fuck you because they want drugs?.. How about they want more than a McDonalds burger or maybe to get a a room with a shower over night? Or maybe just maybe real food for their kids..

@Charlene i offer them up to $20 in food/ beverage, wouldn't feed McD to myself or my worst enemy. They want cash only, that's why they give me such nice comments. WHY do you assume i or anyone else would offer crap? I have been as poor as it is possible to be for a lot of my life......

Explain me... what kind of beggars? Professionals? Needy? Homeless? Alcoholics? Drug addicts? Organized? Hungry? Unemployed? On welfare? Just plain lazy? Amateurs? Dissabled? Gamblers? What kind you talking about?

Let's just say people who ask you for money without providing a service or goods in return.

@Jnei around capital beltway is the franchise of some russian ladies working in shifts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.