Agnostic.com

36 1

Do you believe that life is mostly about luck?

DarwinistOne 7 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, it is mostly by chance...by circumstance(s). Life is far too random for there to be such a thing as luck.

I will take luck over skill any day. Yes, skill and practice are important, but nothing beats dumb luck.

Luck is for most people comparable to the 'god of the gaps'. In absence of knowledge about how others came to their positions in life, 'luck' is often inserted as the accountable element. Notice how often luck is described in an ascending direction. Those who achieve things in life have so much deeper understanding about the relationship of workiing smart and the relationship beteween what some call luck and working one's arse off.

Many are obviously, born into financial independence, a fantastic set of genes, an intellect that soars, seductive talents, etc. I guess those thigs can be caled luck no matter how much or little they're improved and expanded.

Being born with congenital disorders or experiencing permanently damagiing tramas seem to be most closely related to luck. Fortunately, as luck relates to life at large, these are exceptions clearly out of the mainstream. Quanitatively, I'd give luck an unevenly occuring life score of about 20%.

Yes

Do you find it hard to say that you don't believe in God. I always back down in Company and fudge it.

I considered myself very lucky because otherwhise I would had been murdered over 30 years ago. That Lucky, I am still here... alive!

I hate to say it, but... I think so.

Fortune favours the prepared mind, "luck" does not exist.

I see it as chaos.

Million to one chance for sure but not sure its called luck.

"Luck" is a label; a better word, imho, would be chance. You can also say that's a label, but it hasn't got a qualitative implication to it. Luck is typically either "good", or "bad," while chance is, essentially, neutral. And as I see it, when your talking about something that is random and not in one's immediate sphere of influence, I have to go with chance.

I made this comment in a similar post about luck.

I use it as a simple one-word figure of speech describing an advantageous situation or coincidence. 😉

I believe we make our own luck through our actions or inactions that bring us closer to a desired end state.

You are luckey if you have luck. It is always good to have a plan for the future. Then let luck fall where it may.

Initially, yes. What sort of human you are determines your future life..which culture, race, religion, gender, and time era you are born into. For instance, no matter how talented you are it won't do much good if you were born a crippled, blind, black woman in the South during the early 1800s.

Maybe I would use the word 'odds' and we're the dice. Or are we the ones rolling the dice? Both? Anywho I'm a big ol' 20 sided die!

You make your own luck, or so an old friend told me. Mine is mostly not very good and it can't help affecting my general optimism. The distribution isn't fair, but neither is life, so we take what we get. Ocasionally good fortune shines on me enough to make the down times more palatable.

There is a high degree of randomness associated with life. For humans, the randomness can be dealt with, but not always satisfactorily. From the way the question is worded, I have the feeling you meant 'fate'.

I think we have different words for different situations. 1-To me, luck is having a bad accident and coming out of it without a scratch. 2-than there is chance, as in you meet someone who may bankroll your great idea. 3-Then there is, being in the right place at the right time when you buy your winning lotto thicket. After all said and done, if you are a good, decent, considerate and hard working person, you may not need any of these with the exception of no. 1.

Luck, crapshoot. Semantics.

You can be lucky and win the lottery and then squander the winnings . Life is the same

Always think that I make my own luck, by rational decision though out plans improving on what mistakes
I have encountered the past and logical deduction,

No such thing as luck-luck is for those who want to give away control from their lives. To blame bad descisions in life on luck. The latter is akin to a religion to me and to be honest I disagree with the concept.
🙂

No. Part ofit is being at the right place at the right time, but part of our "fate" is due to what we think, do, and create.

Partly. But luck favors the prepared.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.