Agnostic.com

16 24

At long last, my articulate daughter speaks clearly on the phone.

I have been laughing because it occurred to me that Claire's speech is now clear as a bell. In her early 20s she spoke so rapidly, she was impossible to understand on the phone. An unintelligible blur: "Gowatmbyad."

"What did you say?" I asked. "Gowatmbyad." I thought I was going deaf. Thought seriously about getting a hearing aid.

Claire, 29, was articulate at a young age. People were amazed. She talked before walking.

In her early 20s, she spoke like a machine gun. With two part-time jobs and in college, she was always in a hurry. I could only understand Claire when she was in front of me: saw her facial expressions and body language.

Yesterday Claire called and I understood every word. Perhaps working remotely three days/week has trained Claire to speak more slowly and clearly.

This morning, I called her dad. Terry experienced the same thing.

"Claire has more confidence," Terry said. "She has grown tremendously. People at work appreciate her. Claire talks with customers all day." Bravo!

Did you experience this with your child?

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've always loved fast talkers. My ex is one. All my kids have the fast talkers gene. Keep up or miss out.

Do claire and terry work together? 🙂

@demifeministgal's

Terry is my ex-husband. He is the father of our daughter Claire.

@LiterateHiker no I know who he is... just the comment he made "People at work appreciate her. Claire talks with customers all day." made me wonder how he knew that.... unless they worked together. 😕

@demifeministgal

Often Claire calls Terry while she's driving home from work. He hears how her job is going.

When I can't understand my two, my revenge is I make up bizarre words and ask them what that word means. My daughter often says that is not what I said, my son just gets mad and says never mind. That is IRL to boot.

@azzow2

Hilarious!

Beautiul pics Thanks for sharing

@RoyMillar

Thank you. I love the picture of Claire and me talking.

Didn't know the elephant was so close. Yikes! Watching the circus, Claire looks worried.

She stretched out my shirts by hanging onto the neckline.

well that is a stretchy memory you will remember or ever

YES! And that, compounded for my daughter by 4yrs of univ. in Orange, CA, with the "upspeak" patterns that drove me mad! The following evolution was her study abroad and relocation to New Zealand, where it now takes my brain 4-5 days to start translating the kiwi accent along with their rapid speech patterns. Fortunately, my dear grandies and I can always understand one another!

@tinkercreek

I appreciate your kind and wise reply. Had no idea this is a widespread problem with young women today.

In high school, I took debate classes. Learned to speak clearly and persuasively and think on my feet.

@LiterateHiker It is my belief that the instant-gratification electronics culture has something to do with it. Speech, and the social skills of communication, are experienced as time wasted in their world. Sad, indeed, but in maturing into their 30's with the typical life and work experience seems to balance that out for most.

My son 12 ....sometimes I have a hard time understanding him. Sometime too fast, sometimes weird accent that he has. Actually it's a cute little voice

twill Level 7 Nov 3, 2019

I would also talk so rapidly that I could not be understood

It's pretty common with young women I think. We had a couple of 20 year old part time workers at work a few years ago. They talked so fast, I swear I couldn't understand a thing they said.

@Eazyduzzit

Thank you! Thought I was going deaf.

Baby J is only four months old tomorrow.. She doesn't speak yet but im totally looking forward to it!

Praise 1 or more of the 2500 gods from around the world throughout history.

My daughter had the clear-speaking metamorphosis at about 35.

No butpeopletellMe ItalkToofast.

And my L.A. accent is hard to understand.

Omigosh, yes. I’d say what a couple times and then an I don’t understand you talk slower and would get ‘whatever’ from her and she’d walk away. She’d be mad and I’d be whatever and forget about it. She’s not too bad now.

@lazylee

Thank you! Thought I was alone.

Glad to hear it. Often my daughters or the granddaughter will be answering me in FB texting or texting anywhere and I get "Gowatmbyad" or something similar to it. I have no idea what they mean.

I'm happy for your breakthrough moment, at a young age my daughter and I often had talks as we still do of shoes, of ships, and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings. Not to mention what the next upgrades will be on our old AT clone, or where to take the dirt bike next. 😁

My daughter was articulate and understandable from her her first complete sentence at about 2-1/2 - “No Kieran! My bagel!”
(Kieran was our Golden retriever, with an affinity for bagels🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:421808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.