Agnostic.com

7 3

Did you grow up in an emotionally abusive family??

I did. I learned very early the mantras of the Dysfunctional Family, "Don't talk, Don't trust, Don't feel" & "To get close is to get clobbered"

Did you have a similar experience?

Remiforce 7 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up in a dysfunctional family. Neither of my parents had any siblings, so they had no opportunity to observe parenting.

The trouble is many parents have observed misparenting. Child abuse & neglect flows down through the generations, being passed on from parent to child. Hurt people hurt people

Yes. Physical, verbal and emotional. But--know what? I survived. And I'll admit I was glad when my mother died. (Never said that publicly before...feels good!)

I refused to attend my father's & mother's funerals. Hate follows people into the grave

@Remiforce I went to her funeral because I had to drive other people. But I sat alone, in the back. And I've certainly never been back. There's a kind of ''victory'' in that, isn't there?

My mom, but I was "lucky" according to her. My grandmother was worse.

My dad just sat back and let her do or say anything to and about me as long as she wasn't yelling at him.

He was worse. My mom didn't pretend to care about me until she started hanging with the church ladies. By then I was old enough to realize her concern for me was a show

"My god, what will the neighbors think"

No

Good for you

No . I am sorry u had to live this . But u survived it . " alive "

Only half alive. You never forget

No, thankfully.

skado Level 9 Nov 4, 2019

Good for you

Mine was physical and verbal.

I understand. Have you ever attended ACOA (Adult Children of Alcoholic & Abusive Parents) or the ACA groups associated with Al Anon?

Physical and verbal. No alcohol or mental illness.
After both parents died, I learned my ancestors were serfs in feudal Germany and taught if they were talking they were not working or were plotting an uprising. Denied speech, they had only violence to control children. To avoid repetition, I resolved to have none and married a woman who for similar reasons wanted none. In six years we parted but kept in touch. After ‘street therapy’ (hardball politcs) and talk therapy I found Adult Survivors of Child Abuse. It all helped and I am happy.
Four sibs fared less well. Providing for children precluded therapy and they remain silent.

@Remiforce No, and have not heard of them before. I’ll google it.

@Annaleda Please do. I've also found CODA (Co-Dependents Anonymous) quite helpful. The problem is many of these groups use the 12 Steps of A.A, ,which gets quite goddy, but there are anonymous groups growing up based on Smart Recovery (Smart Recovery.org)

@Annaleda, @yvilletom I'm glad you found help. Child abuse goes from generation to generation. Many victims of abuse choose to remain childless

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.