Agnostic.com

38 9

Board Games

What are your favorite board games and how often do you get to play them?

Donotbelieve 9 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rummikub! No down time, makes your brain actually feel fatigue after about 2 hours.

@Donotbelieve played that often as well.

Not often enough:

Pandemic (with expansions)
Flash Point: Fire Rescue (with full expansions)
Elder Sign
Wurhful Bonhanza (and I am sure I have the spelling wrong)
Carcassonne
Catan (though I reburn out on this quickly)
Qwirkle
Ticket to Ride
The Eurorails series (any of that type rail game, but burnout again)

Oh, and scores more. Most of which are in storage.

Cut my gaming eye teeth on D&D as well as "Melee, Wizard and Deathtest" and war games (SPI Middle Earth war games, the favorite was the siege of that last major city at the end of the trilogy, whose name escapes me). Because of this I bored of 'normal' board games way back when.

Moved to Arizona, met a bunch of great guys (not a lot of gamer gals back then, sadly, was truly the 'nerd' culture you see in the movies) who introduced me to a WIDE variety of games: Roleplay (D&D, Champions, Morrow Project, Chivalry and Sorcery), Board games, card games and... more.

We were actually a game design shop (Blade) making T&T materials (Tunnels & Trolls).

Helluva time... and I'd still play any of the above with the right crowd. Can't seem to break the ice locally.

I like to play Backgammon and Chess and Majhjong. A late and good friend was a game theorecitican and a chief design consult for the former Parker Bros. Another friend has designed a game and is seeking investors to bring it to the market. He expalined the rules of his new game and we played four games and to his amazement I won all four.

OK, I confess. I like an occasional venture into Mahjong. But don't tell anyone.

...and I got addicted to playing Yahtzee (spelling?) on the computer about 15 years ago. That lasted a few months and I broke up with it.

I have no favorite board game. I hate board games. I have never been really challenged by any of them, even though I mostly have been quite lucky. I even don't understand why people like them. I don't like gambling either. Does that mean that I'm a boring guy? I guess so although I don't feel it that way.

Gert Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

@Donotbelieve Love to be abnormal.

...it’s no doubt just me.. But as kids we were ‘forced’ to play board games in a cabin with no TV. I hate them! And, that’s been a problem ..cuz apparently everyone else loves them… Card games, too. Shit - I’d rather watch paint dry.. I’m no fun with ‘bored games,’ but pretty creative when others are willing to step outside 🙂

Varn Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

I use to play Scrabble a few times a week, but since my grandchild was born I've been spending time with him. I always liked Risk, Monopoly and any Trivia. Disney trivia was always a favorite of my kids. Funny how a subject can bring back memories and put a smile on your face.

@Donotbelieve thank you

Ticket to Ride, Clue, Monopoly. Trivial Pursuit, Parcheesi.

But so many I want to try.

Ticket to ride is a good one!

I've been learning some of these games over the past year and have been having a blast doing so. I then return here for more ideas. This is a great thread.

Haven't played in ages. Was quite partial to Scrabble and Risk. Still enjoy my Yahtzee app. That damn robo-player is good!

Was enjoying my free bowling and Wheel of Fortune apps, but they wanted to charge me when I ran out of credits. F that!

I need a drink.

Scrabble, Pictionary trivia pursuit. Have not played in a very very very long time

Ditto.

Risk. I'm old school.

I've many hours at a Risk board over the years. The sci-fi version is pretty cool Risk 2210 A.D. My oldest so DMs for us on Thursday nights so that's mostly what we play currently. We used to play MTG a lot and I'm sure we'll go back to it, mostly Commander. Here's a pic of a chunk of our collection.

Gaming is a huge family pastime! Off the top: Cards Against Humanity, Exploding Kittens, Really Bad Art, Telestrations, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Meme or Die, Apples to Apples, Gloom, Uno, Clue, Sorry, Parcheesi, Yahtzee, Trvial Pursuit, Science Trivia, Mexican Dominoes, Mastermind, Euchre, and numerous Solitaires

Zster Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

I detest board games. We have to follow enough rules to follow as it is. I'd rather spend my time creating my own art rather than being sucked into some mindless, pre-arranged crap that someone else wants to sell me. Is that too blunt! No wonder I'm single, huh?🙂 But, here's something everyone ought to check out-Google 'Nazi Board Games' and see what you find. It'll turn your stomach. (personally I think 'Board' games have been mistitled. They should be called 'bored' games. They're so very predictable and boring. And I'll shut up, now🙂

Loving some Catan. What is this big poker table with a chess pieces thing?

I probably enjoy chess and monopoly have not played for years

dc65 Level 7 Mar 23, 2018

masterpiece .... rarely

I play scrabble a few times a month and have recently added monopoly to the arsenal

Does D&D count? Then there's all those chit and hex games by Avalon Hill. Zombicide is fun. But all in all, the most normie game I appreciate is Euchre.

We do many, Dune seems the mosr popular.

Splendor. Dominion. Or if we've got all day for a single game, the old classic Rail Baron.

It's been ages since I played. Monopoly, Las Vegas were two favorites.

Solitaire when I am bored. Or, are you limiting the games to old style (e.g., Monopoly) board games? I'd choose Civilization, except it was not played on a real board. As a teenager, I played chess.

Monopoly is still good but I haven't played it in over 5 years. I'm not much for board games, cards, games in general or on an app or a computer. I'm usually doing something else.
Every now and then I find somebody smiling and jabbing their thumbs at their phone in an excited way and I ask them what they are doing. "I'm playing a game" they say. Imagine that in a sci fi movie.

I love to play chess. I play almost everyday on the internet.

I play scrabble (mainly Words w/ Friends now), and Pursue the Pennant.

Pursue the Pennant is a baseball board game that I played with friends when I grew up in NY. Every visit up to NY, me and my friend set aside an entire day to nerd out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42220
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.