Agnostic.com

15 0

When a religious person says I’ll pray for you.

How does it make you feel when a religious person states, “I’ll pray for you.” while fully aware that you don’t believe in prayer?

becktammy666 3 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not a thing that bothers me, provided prayer is not used to replace more practical assistance that would have a more positive influence on the given situation.

For example, if someone were to say they'd pray for me to be offered a better job, I'd just say thanks even though I know their prayer won't make the slightest bit of difference. If however, someone claims to pray for the homeless, I'd suggest that they perhaps donated money to homeless charities or volunteer at a shelter as well as praying, and point out that not doing so makes their prayers look rather meaningless.

Jnei Level 8 Nov 6, 2019

I don’t pray, however I do meditate and contemplate, which are a sort of communion with ones self and potentially with universal consciousness if such there be. For that reason I would not be offended in the least by someone offering to pray for me.

If they are just trying to irritate you, take a second or two to see it for what it is. You could say nothing, or something trivial and non-confrontational. My favorite is “Perhaps you’re right”. If they see that you are not flustered they’ll leave you alone.

Of course there’s that third option that I mentioned before. Hit’em upside the head with a baseball bat. That’ll teach’em to keep their damned mouths shut.

Very happy that they feel moved enough to do what they consider to be a kindly act.

The Kindly act of asking their loving good NOT to send me to a pit of eternal fire, which they think I deserve for not loving the bastard who is threatening to send me there?

one from tv - I don't know the show, never watched it, but sheldon said 'and I will think for you'

Instead of praying for me how about thinking good thoughts about me instead.

It makes me realise that this person actually believes that I DESERVE to burn in hell, because their foul deity is a capricious petty and jealous infant... and that I don't want to know such an immoral person anymore.

I usually respond with thanks I'll think for you too with a fat smile on my face.

I once responded to a snarky "I'll pray for you" by saying "And I'll eat a baby for you. Have a nice day."

I don't have a problem with it. Their intentions are good and it doesn't hurt me in the slightest.

What do you mean their intentions are good?
They are praying for their god to intervene in your own free will so that he will not HAVE to burn you for all eternity in hell for the sin of eating fruit, committed by a distant and non existent ancestor.
A fate they believe you fully deserve because to fail to kowtow to a tyrannical monster who sacrificed himself to himself to create a loophole in a law he made.
That they "love" and worship out of sheer terror this monster who will do the same to them give half a chance leads them to think that your being subject to involuntary brainwashing is your only hope for escaping eternal torture for the crime of thinking for yourself.
How is that in any way a "Good Intention"?

@LenHazell53 Since he doesn't exist it doesn't matter. They are basically wishing me the best as they see it. If that bothers you, fine. It doesn't bother me in the least, and that is really all that matters to me.

@Sticks48 from their point of view they are not wishing you the best, there are trying to do their best to save you from deserving the worst.
I know I am a glass half empty sort of guy, but having been deluded by religion for many years and then escaped, I find the idea of deluding myself any further abominable, and so choose point out the toad of truth squatting the stinking swamp of Christian hypocrisy. (apologies to sheldon Cooper for mangling his metaphor)

@LenHazell53 I'm not deluding myself I know what I believe and I do know they think they are doing me some good by praying. It does not affect me in any negative way. It is like all the different people who tell me they love me. I know they don't really love me. They might like me a lot, but really love me. I doubt it, but I am not going to call them out on it.

@Sticks48 I understand where you are coming from, and why.
Doesn't work for me though, I value truth too much.

@LenHazell53 Everyone's truths are not always the same.

It makes a difference if the person is sincere.

No it doesn't, it just means they are so completely programmed by their death cult that they really do think you are both hellbound and hellworthy.
It just means they are sincerely warped.

@LenHazell53 it makes a difference TO ME. If they are sincere I take it as a "get well". If they're not sincere it pisses me off.

I'll put in a good word to satan for ya...so lets just call it even, shall we? 😉

I tend to believe that there is little else more evil than religion. And I try to not encourage it in any way....I do not believe that people are inherently evil......and I try to allow everyone the right to be wrong...and allow that some are mis-led into thinking they are wishing well, when not realizing that the way they are doing it is nonsense....and I will give them that its the thought that counts.....

I think when they say that knowing you're an atheist, they're trying to trigger you. In my opinion, it's the same thing as saying, fuck you to them, knowing that they're Christian. Just like for example, when they know someone's an atheist at a dinner get together like thanksgiving, they'll make a super big deal more than usual about praying before the meal. They think it's their right to rub salt in a wound, so to speak. It's a real shitty way to be with another person.

They are being condescending and douche-y.

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 7, 2019

They are attempting to be kind here no condensation

I pass it off, if it is someone that know I don't believe, I'll tell them money helps more.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:422981
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.