Agnostic.com

7 0

My kids(11 and 15) becoming religious

My kids live with their mother and she became very religious once I left. My kids now have to go to church twice a week. My son firmly believes. My daughter still has doubts. I went to one of their bible studies. It is full of indoctrination. I believe it is bad. It stops them from critical thinking. My son has build a firewal and said he does not want to discuss anything about religion with me. My question is: Does anyone have experience with this? How to handle this situation?

dversluis1972 4 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My dear son, whom I brought up to be a free-thinker married a "believer". She is a great manipulator and she has managed to convert him, and of course the children have no choice. I don't blame him - and he's happy. Luckily the religion concerned is christianity, which at the moment is not in one of its bloodthirsty phases. But who knows, with that Trump of a president you have in the usa.

Yes, I have experience, having 3 sons ... don't tell them what to think, just teach them how to think - critical thinking and the like. They may still end up with a religious belief but that's their choice and you will have been part of their lives in coming to their conclusion, and that's fine. You still love them and they still love you. Don't try and force your belief system on them since that can easily backfire.

Two of my sons are agnostic, and one is religious, and that's fine by me.

At least agnostics / atheists are accepting of anyone with a religious belief, in my experience.

leave him
Maybe the religion gives him Tranquility

What you resist persists, especially with teenagers.Keep chances for discussion open and trust their reason and intelligence

read them "sapiens" one chapter at a time . should clear it up for them

You know... i think i like what @gearl said. Get them to sit and read through the bible by themselves without church, that might actually convince them. Also you may want to point out a time or two that it is silly to think that this book was penned by an invisible man, 2000 years ago, and he has never once come back to check on it or make sure anyone got the right translation.
I want to point out, as a disclaimer, that i do NOT have experience and I full of hatred 😀

OH! You could also do a little research and find at least a couple of the other myths with the same birth and resurrection story, that'll confuse 'em. Dionysus, Zoroaster, Horus. Zoroastrianism is the oldest monotheistic religion.

Right on. Tell them about similar myths in other religions. Let them know that if they want to choose a religion, at least know what else is out there. Show them videos of massive religious rituals done by other faiths. Like the Muslim hajj pilgramage. For me, one of the ways out of Islam was to see how just how equally certain the followers of every other religions were.

It’s tough. I lost a son because I didn’t try hard enough but knowing what to do is the problem. When I remarried and my wife sent our daughter to CCD and myu daughter then asked me questions I gave her a Bible and told her to read some each day starting with Gen. 1:1. She got to Lot’s having sex with his own daughters and that did it. She had little to do with religion after that. Your ex is pounding doctrine into the minds of the kids and it won’t be that easy for you. All I can advise is to subtly sow seeds of doubt and bits of reason without coming on too strong and hope for the best. If you can still reason with your daughter do so gently. Good Luck.

gearl Level 8 Nov 19, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4231
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.