Agnostic.com

135 12

How do you deal with Christmas?

Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.

AgnosticJeff 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We celebrate a typical holiday and we have a blast!

It doesn’t have to be about Jesus. I have a blast every Christmas with my atheist family. We exchange gifts, watch football, laugh, eat and drink. To me it’s about celebrating life & family in the midst of the coldest days.

I get invited to "holiday" parties. I can't remember the last time I was invited to a "Christmas" party. If they have food I go.

I participate in the celebration and ignore the religion.

Working with the public for over 2 decades has sucked most of the fun out of it. It's good time to spend with family and friends. I just ignore the religious part of it these days and glad when it's over.

I haven't thought of Christmas as a religious holiday for a long time. But it is still a problem for me, It reminds me of my parents, who are gone, of my late wife and my good friends, The incessant calls from signs, stores and television to be happy, happy happy, while buying all sorts of crap I can't afford bothers and depresses me.
And then there are the Christmas Carols.
I am fortunate this year to have somebody to spend it with. This helps a ,lot.

That is about the same as I feel...except being alone doesn’t bother me anymore!

Fortunately my people don’t bother too much just have a family dinner and a few gifts for the children.

Now I’m in Australia from the Northen Hemisphere it seems just wrong celebrating in 40C so it doesn’t seem like Christmas anyway!

I travel. Anyone is welcome to join me. Petra, Jordan, Morocco?

I handle it with food and presents!

I wish that I could leave the Country at Christmas time! In the past, just before thanksgiving.,.a horrible depression would set in and would last past New Year. At least I haven’t had that in the last few years!
I have learned to take that holiday period with a ‘grain of salt!’ I might display some tiny reminder of the season and if I am invited to functions with family and friends, I just enjoy myself, without even thinking of why! If I have my family over, I am afraid it want be ‘tinsel and tree’ ...as I don’t do that! Maybe, I would think twice if I had small children! I have lost most of my guilt over why i am like this about Christmas!

I hate the feeling of raining on other people's parade so to speak. I truly wish I could "fast forward" through all the commotion. Like you, I might display a reminder of the season. This year I've collected some lovely black beach stones and my rosemary is overgrown. The stones will line the bottom of a vase which will hold my (rosemary) greens and maybe some foraged berries for color. My gift list is small, however I still struggle with meaningful gifts. I don't feel guilty, just kinda lonely at heart and disconnected. Small favor: my husband is pretty much of the same mind as me. On a curious note our daughter is not baptized or otherwise connected to formal religion, yet she embraces the holidays full throttle. But by the same token she opens her heart and home to all who may need a place to stay. That warms me. I don't like this expression but "it's all good."

@MissOakley that sounds like a holiday I could be festive in! Happy holidays!

I made a compromise with my ex--she could have a christmas tree if I didnt have to have lights on the outside of my house

lerlo Level 8 Nov 8, 2019

Personally, I enjoy xmas... it’s never been a religious celebration to/for me. I have great memories from my childhood... my children, family, friends... of course I hear the baby Jesus stories... yeah, yeah, yeah, I just smile, say cheers, have another cocktail. I still decorate a tree (fake) and all the other junk, good excuse for a gathering of friends, less decoration in recent years... thinking about it, I do much the same every day, just don’t do all the silly decorations.

Tomas Level 7 Nov 9, 2019

Take your days off. Do fun stuff. Go back to work. Nothing else applies.

The history of the holiday, which was actually a pagan holiday . . .
[historytoday.com]
Christmas is used to sell christianity, just like a whole lot more of their paraphernalia - I do not celebrate it, I consider it nothing but one more tool in their long list of tools to gather more sheep.

Well, I used to celebrate it when my daughter was alive and as a reason for giving gifts and having a big feast, etc, NO REligion in it of course, but stopped it when she passed away in Jan.2001 until my nephew, Henry came on the scene in 2013, since neither his parents nor I are anything remote close to religiously inclined in any way, we simply do it for his benefit MINUS any references to religion.

I don't deal with it, I enjoy the party time. Who doesn't like to party???

It is mostly a secular holiday in the UK. although I believe that some churchgoers still attend a Christmas eve service.I doubt if even the kids at school enacting the nativity really know what it is supposed to represent, so eat drink and be merry.

By buying myself some treats, being glad the days are getting lighter and avoiding my parents’ offers to go to church. This year I’m going to the pub for an extortionate dinner.
I believe there is some fun to be had at work with days off and gifts.

About the same way Christians celebrate Halloween . Had a Halloween Party awhile back , and my Christian neighbors came as a witch and a vampire , and had a fun time . Yet no one ever asks Christians about celebrating Halloween. Christmas is a family celebration , whether you are a believer or not . It's what we grew up with . Just like Halloween , there are traditions and stories , and no reason we can't have fun , without taking things seriously .

This

I largely ignore it. If someone mentions it, I ignore it or steer the conversation away. I consider it a success if i get people to not think about it or talk about. If someone "merry xmas"s me I say, "Inshallah!" LMAO!

To me Christmas is a day for family. We treat it as a non-religious holiday. A lot of aspects of Christmas are non-Christian anyway so there you are. I also think the debate on how to greet someone for the holidays is silly. I say just be happy they are greeting you in a friendly way. Making a big deal about them not being "politically correct " is kind of childish. I say greet everyone how you want to and smile when they return in kind or however they greet you. It's supposed to be a time for peace and warmth and families.

Yes, yes and yes!

I celebrate the Winter Solstice as it was intended. It’s the darkest (shortest) days of the year and early humans made up celebrations to get them through it. Yule log, decorated trees, lights, songs, drinks, evergreens, presents, all to distract from the darkness. Religions of the book try to steal the season from the pagans but I don’t let them. I say happy winter solstice or happy holidays. If someone gives me christian bullshit about it, I ask where in the Bible does it talk about decorating a tree and drinking eggnog?

I look at it as a family day, like Thanksgiving but with presents instead of food. 🙂 I enjoy Christmas music, even the songs with religious lyrics; I just enjoy the melody and the memories rather than giving any weight to references to "Christ" or "angels"

I wake up, get out of bed, drag a comb across my head. That being said I attempt to take a photograph of the solstice sunset over Lake Erie some years that works and sometimes it doesn't, we still put up lights we still put up a tree it brightens up the house, is there any Christian stuff there? no, I think not, we eat we party we have fun. And then on New year's I change all the batteries in the smoke alarms and remotes that way they're ready for another year of excitement. Everyday is what you decide to make of it. PARTY ON GARTH. 🌞

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.