Agnostic.com

7 2

What do you all think about reincarnation?

I've seen a lot of reincarnation stories on YouTube and they seem very convincing. Could it be real?

Biblebeltskeptic 6 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This doesn't specifically deal with reincarnation, but you'll see at the end how it kind of relates.

I have a pagan friend. A lot of ghost stories seem "convincing."

See answers below 😉 I concur.

Anything could be, but I'm happy to wait for the evidence.

skado Level 9 Nov 9, 2019

As long as I don't come back in North Dakota, I am all for it. Evidently if you are born there you can't leave, otherwise why would anyone be there?

@rsabbatini It would be a toss up. 🙂

Genetic memory is a possibility, as is quantum entanglement of two beings over time and space.
But since I do not believe in souls, reincarnation in the traditional sense is a none starter for me.

Quantum entanglement of macro objects is a thing? Also, can you explain genetic memory?
Also, I'm assuming the fact that you don't believe in something implies that you've seen the evidence shows virtually no possibility of that thing?

@Auty89
Really? The you cannot prove it does NOT exist therefore it does argument ?

All macro objects are made up of quantum level objects that can be entangled, genetic memory does exist as inborn instincts in humans and animals therefore at higher levels it is at least possible through as yet is still untested as far as I know
My post simply postulated alternatives that are possible in the light of modern physics over the transmigration of "souls" a postulation that first requires the establishment of the existence of a none material incorporeal object the soul itself.

Provide proof that there is such a thing as a soul and I will consider the possibility.

@LenHazell53, don't get your panties in a wad. Especially when that first part after "Really?" made no coherent sense. I am not much more convinced of a soul than you are. I merely asked you to clarify what you mean by "believe" and gave you the benefit of a doubt. Lay off the bath salts, man.
Also, giving an alternative hypothesis that sounds scientific, doesn't necessarily make that proposition possible. If you're going to give an alternative possibility, at least give credible reason why anyone should care about it in any sense other than in a context like Stranger Things. You said it's been untested, is there a legitimate reason for that other than the possibility that it doesn't have any merit worth a care. Please enlighten me

@LenHazell53
Could that memory be the soul or part of the soul? Maybe the question should be.. what is the soul and from which perspective I am observing it....

@magnoliarosada we cannot presuppose the existence of a "soul" since there is no evidence for such an entity, any more than there is for a gods, ghosts and any other supernatural being.

@LenHazell53 How can we prove the existence of this genetic memory (not hair color or deseases but beyond that, like behaviours when grandfather and grandchildren never met for example?
I saw last week an interesting Netflix documentary with Morgan Freeman ¨The story of God¨, an experiment was done in a NY Hospital and they weight the patients exactly in the moment of death. In all cases the dead patients weighted less.
The concept of soul should not be connected to religion or gods.

@magnoliarosada You are referring to the March 1907 MacDougall’s experiments as published in The New York Times and the medical journal American Medicine, which even at the time concluded that of six tests, two had to be discarded (because there was no drop in weight), one showed an immediate drop in weight (and nothing more), two showed an immediate drop in weight which increased with the passage of time, and one showed an immediate drop in weight which reversed itself but later recurred.
Since the equipment used was basically a large kitchen scale the alteration in weight is largely thought to simple have been death convulsions and the shifting of the subject.
The experiments were debunked at the time and have never been taken seriously by anyone except the the fundamentalist churches.

The experiments are most famous because they were used as major the plot point for the 1967 film "Frankenstein Created Woman"

@LenHazell53 NOT from March 1.907. As I said, I saw it in this documentary, and some scientists were doing this experiment but it was in within this last 5 years aprox.

@magnoliarosada Oh for goodness sake ¨The story of God¨ is not a documentary it is a sensationalist series comparable with "hunting Hitler" with which it shares producers and writers.
It is only a passing mention in episode one (2016) that you refer to and it IS talking about the MacDougall experiments.

@LenHazell53 Dr. Sam Parnia is head of a multidisciplinary team at Southampton University (United Kingdom) who published a study in the Oficial Journal of European Resuscitation Council, with the title “AWARE—AWAreness during REsuscitation—A prospective study” (DOI: [dx.doi.org] (3) which included more than 2,000 persons who suffered a cardiac arrest and successfully responded to resuscitation treatment, in 15 hospitals in the United Kingdom, United States and Austria. This is the largest study of its kind to date, using rigorous methodology, in order to exclude all those cases that could be based on individual impressions that are worthy, but which hold no scientific interest.
“Consciousness may continue even after death¨ Consciousness in Science = Soul [bioethics.georgetown.edu]
You are right about passing mention 🙂

@magnoliarosada What are you going on about? Parnia's paper is about a possible explanation for near death experiences, it has nothing to do with "the weight of the soul"
I'm sorry I have nothing more to say to you.

Why not, there are a lot stranger things toted around about an afterlife, like everlasting horrors of hell or persistent praying and singing to a Jewish apocalyptic prophet

hears Stranger Things intro

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424144
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.