Agnostic.com

7 1

I think this interesting. Thoughts?
Atheist Symbol
It is increasingly common to see atheist symbols in our daily lives as more and more people abandon the religion of their childhood. Symbols provide a way to unify communities of people and communicate shared values, visually and concisely. Our logo is an atheism symbol that was crowd-sourced as a means of representing the values of the Atheist Republic community.

The Atheist Republic logo was designed and based upon the collective input of the Atheist Republic community. Here are the meanings behind the two different elements of the logo and what they each represent.

Lion: Strength (strength from unity, strength in logic).

Horse: Freedom (freedom of speech, freedom from oppression).

Unlike other crests, our symbol contains a horse rather than a unicorn and the lion does not bear a crown. The ring used in our logo is one of the oldest atheist symbols and has connotations to symmetry, peace, harmony and parsimony (the selection of a hypothesis with the least number of assumptions, a principle known as “Occam's razor&rdquo😉.

Adorkable 6 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Um ... symbols? Really? Let's see here. If I recollect correctly, all religions have symbols associated with them in some way. Also, all sorts of organizations. Masons. Shriners. USA. NRA. DoJ. You know, I'm not so sure we even want to think about becoming so cohesive as to justify the use of symbols for branding purposes. Why don't we chew on this for a while longer? Say, a couple of hundred centuries?

Symbols are irrelevent.

I prefer just the atheist "A" sign - simple, non-confrontational, and can easily be mistaken for something else! I like that. The symbol of Atheist Republic is too much for me - getting a bit too like old English heraldry and rather aggressive and exclusive.

This was interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

Thanks for the history of this group.

To elaborate on @marga 's comment:

Atheism is not a uniter nor a place nor a thing. It's simply choosing to not believe.
In cases like this it would make more sense to say something like Reasonable Republic, Rational Republic, Think before we speak and act Republic, Choices based on evidence Republic and so on.

I don't see the point in having a symbol.

marga Level 7 Mar 24, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42435
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.