Agnostic.com

3 12

Robert Redford: A Race Against Time to Undo Damage Caused by Trump

"Earlier this week, Donald Trump notified the United Nations of his intention to pull America out of the most significant climate effort in history, the now-famous Paris Accord. It's a decision that has shocked millions with its short-sighted foolishness. That he chose to do this on the first day he could legally do so under the UN's rules for withdrawal simply reveals his immoral dedication to isolating us from the world community by willfully ignoring the biggest, most urgent threat facing human civilization.

"Now begins a possible one-year extrication countdown that could become final on November 4, 2020 -- just one day after Americans decide whether to grant Trump another four years in office, or to hand the reins of government over to someone else (I'm rooting for the latter)."

"A newly-sworn-in future president, one who cares about America and its future, could immediately request re-entry into the agreement as a first order of business, and after 30 days our country would be allowed to rejoin as a full, participating member. By that point, other world leaders would have every right to be concerned about the depth of our commitments. We shouldn't even risk it -- we shouldn't even be facing this horrible reality.

"We can't allow one unqualified authoritarian's depraved indifference to the climate crisis define Americans' commitments or the character of our nation. The clock is ticking so loudly, the rest of the world can hear it. With enough outrage, enough action, and enough voices rising together, we just might have a chance to compel a reversal of this nonsense.

"I'm not sure if it will work, but I know without question that we will all suffer if we don't try."

• Robert Redford

[cnn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Americans can ignore this and can still continue to do whats right and ethical ,Like producing enviromental consenous products and preserve nature the way it should be and not start mining in places where he has openned up,,Up to each individual . There may come to a point where other countrys will insist manufactured products are done in a complete enviromental way and the companys will have to prove they are doing this,So if they start now ,then they will be on the leeding edge for the future thru out the worls

Isn't posting the entire text likely a copyright violation, not fair use ?

@FearFlys

Most importantly, I credited the author:

1. Used quotation marks around direct quotes; and

2. Credited Robert Redford twice, in the title and at the end.

With a master's degree, I learned how to properly credit authors in my thesis. In high school papers, as well.

Robert Redford published this essay for it to be disseminated widely. If he wanted to keep his views secret, he would not have published it.

Please read his essay (the link is provided.) For brevity, I didn't quote the entire thing.

@ToolGuy [copyright.gov]

@LiterateHiker [copyright.gov]

@ToolGuy Tell it to the judge, or your congresscritter. 🙂

Very well stated

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 10, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.