Agnostic.com

91 2

As an atheist, I think Homosexuality should not come into mainstream. What's your take ?

No offence, but my opinion is homosexuality is psychological. I'm straight turned from homosexual, it all happened accidentally. I went through the studies, none had a proof that it's genetic. I've only one explanation to what happened with me & i.e. homosexuality is psychological.

• 0 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 172 votes
sourceofdesire 6 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

91 comments (76 - 91)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whether or not homosexuality is considered “mainstream” (e.g. Acceptable to the majority of a society) is cultural. Many societies in history have recognized/ accepted same sex activity as being on the spectrum of normal.
Behaviors/personality traits are the result of a combination of nature and nurture. Most behaviors and characteristics do fall on a spectrum, with people being more or less of different qualities. That includes sexuality.

What do you mean by 'mainstream'. could you give me an idea whether you are against homosexual couples being able to adopt, or against gay marriage? Is there something specific that you have an issue with, with regards to an openly gay person?

You are dead wrong. I, a straight female established one of the first LGBTQ introduction services in the world over 20 yrs ago. None of my gay friends/business assocates would agree with you.

It certainly doesn't affect me one way or the other (except that time I got punched in the mouth by a big ol' scary lesbian for politely explaining that while her interest in me was flattering, I simply am not sexually attracted to the ladies. I still consider myself straight but have never turned down a lesbian since.)

Over the years (I am in my 60’s) I have had many LGB friends as well as hetero, and have come to the opinion that at least 1/2 of the human race is bi-sexual, 1/4 is Homosexual, and 1/2 Heterosexual.
Now I realise this is a generalisation, but being the extraordinarily complex beings we are, our capacity for adaptation and evolution is enormous.
Yes our sexuality may be psychological but the way we think cannot be separated from who we are in a physical sense.
Yes SOME people may choose to be homosexual due to abuse (sexual or not) by members of the opposite sex but it is understandable and is the exception rather than the rule due to environmental factors.
I think it is important to remember that we have had 2,000 years of christian/islamic/Judaistic indoctrination to combat on this issue and evolution takes time!
Should we not focus more on being loving and compassionate rather than who we do/don't have sex with or love for that matter.
Variations in sexuality are perfectly normal, if humans can be considered normal, are are only an issue because religion has made it so

Oh I just hate the natural tendency to to try to pigeonhole people into what befits a certain set of cultural conventions. I rather enjoy the new varieties of sexual identity that have sprung up in the last twenty years or so.

I don't care what a person's orientation is. I want all people to leave their romantic/sexual lives in their personal space. So I guess what I'm saying is not only should homosexuality not become mainstream, but heterosexuality needs to become less mainstream as well.

Well, now that I have looked at your profile, I see some of your viewpiont on "bars" and "holes" is also probably skewed because you live in India, not the United States.

With a caste system in place, I am surprised your viewpoint is a open as it appears to be.

Atheism does not equal Intolerance.

I always presumed that homosexuality was natures built in form of population control since gay people don't tend to pass along their DNA.

Not much I can add to the responses to this post other than what has already been said. What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom is none of anyone else's business, so I'm not sure what you even mean by "mainstream".

Why are you trying to press your morals here? What are your morals even based on if you are on an agnostic/atheist site? Why does it have to be normal or not? What if it's purely choice??

I find this whole discussion deplorable. If I want to sleep with men, women, or donkeys it's none of your business unless I am hurting you. Leave Frank N. Furter alone.

What ? Seriously , What ???? Are you having a giraffe ?

Wait, a giraffe? Is this a common euphemism to haven't heard yet? Here, we have only cows.

I find your choices to be dividing. I don't think homosexuality should be "mainstream " but not necessarily taboo either. Maybe just as uninteresting as the color of your hair

Would you agree, or consider that perhaps you are a bisexual who has chosen to repress your homosexual urges?

I was going to be particularly scathing and probably offensive to you with my initial reply, but a quick look at your profile may has tempered my response somewhat now I have seen where you are from and how old you are.

You say in some of your replies that you do not want homosexuality to become mainstream in case it becomes normal and people are 'encouraged' to be homosexual. This appears to me to be a very nieve view that has been implanted by your social norms. People don't become homosexual because it accepted as normal. People come out as homosexual (or bisexual) because they feel safe to. Gay pride and other parades raise awareness and challenge the stereotyped perceptions of those less educated. In Europe, public perception has been changing over the years and there is less discrimination against LGBT groups year on year. There is still a long way to go, there are still people out there that think you can catch homosexuality or that it is a choice. Until we live in a world where people have equal rights under the law and are treated by their peers as equals, then marches and demos to bring this inequality into the mainstream must continue.

You are 19 years old and probably still exploring your sexuality. You live in a country where I believe the rights of the LGBT community are still in their infancy and culturally unacceptable - certainly if you were further north in Pakistan. Without protests and marches, women still wouldn't have the vote - feminism has been around for far longer and women still struggle to be treated as equals. Could you vote for No discrimination against women - but it shouldn't be in the mainstream?

Hang around the forum, listen to the sane and the crazy, and look at alternative sources for evidence. And keep asking questions.

All that Roman and Greek wrestling.........

gymnasium: exercise naked.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4245
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.