Agnostic.com

20 17

I have a T-shirt that says "Science doesn't care what you believe," and the word science is spelled with the periodic table.

I live in one of the most conservative counties in the country, in Texas. I'm very careful when I wear it, but occasionally, I forget. The reactions are entertaining, especially when they're positive.

Is my shirt obnoxious? I don't want to be obnoxious for the sake of it, well, most of the time. I bought it because that thought gives me comfort, that Galileo would out every time, that black holes do exist and that we would find some answer for HIV. But I get that some people just read it as a fuck you to religion.

So is it obnoxious to wear it around my town?

AuntieMame 6 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would consider that shirt enlightening.

Any religious person who would consider that shirt a "fuck you" to religion needs to be reminded that reality doesn't care about their god.

We all know how the bible thumpers feel when someone displays something they don't like! I was given a bumper sticker for my truck and wouldn't attach it because I thought it was too confrontational. Then I saw a sticker (on the mainland) that said" Obama may be Christian but he is not Christian enough" so I posted it. My sister, who lives in Dall ass Tex ass, who is not religious, saw it and got upset. It went against her coexist mentality.

I think people will read into it whatever they're already inclined to. While some people may see it as anti-religion, others may see it as exactly the opposite — that science is for everyone irrespective of religious persuasion. Some people are looking at every turn for opportunities to be offended, but that's their problem, not yours.

I have the same shirt and love wearing it, along with some of the nasty looks that I get. That saying is even on my profile here.

You need to feel safe but ultimately what your shirt says is about as basic a truth as you can get. Fuck 'em.

I have the same shirt, I think you have excellent taste!! Wear it with pride. It isn't obnoxious IMHO. You may give hope to someone struggling.

I want that t-shirt!

With head held high.
It is not at all offensive, and we need to let each other know we ae around.

I was not able to quickly find a postable image but I have the SC license plate at the link below.
It says - "In Reason We Trust" the letters FT for Free Thought and then the number.

Not immediately obvious to everyone, but a definite signal to someone who knows what they are seeing.

[lowcountryhumanists.org]

Plano!! My late partner lived there and now so does my sister (she hates the conservatism). I am from Dallas (White Rock Lake area) and most of my family still lives there.

I once pointed out a Darwin fish to my aunt. She said she had never seen this. later she told me she was seeing it all the time. It was kind of out of sight out of mind. I think too many of us are overworried about being confrontational. Don't.

I’d wear that shirt everywhere. It’s not obnoxious it is accurate.

I don't consider it obnoxious. But, as we know, some people are very easily offended. Consider that their problem.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

I don't think it's obnoxious as it states the obvious. I have a similar t-shirt that says Science Fiction with the letters comprised of the symbols of major religions. I do tend to be careful where I where it (not a work for example).

I have a shirt that says "Science Bitch," from Breaking Bad. That's a bit obnoxious. LOL!

I have this one. heh

Says nothing about religion? I wouldn't worry about it.

Wear it proudly. You aren't the one harboring delusions.
I'm tired of tip-toeing around the "delicate sensibilities" of believers.
They can't be respectful of other people's beliefs, or lack of, they get
what they get.

Only obnoxious to the delusional. Wear it proudly.

I don't think it's obnoxious. If you wore it into a church, well then maybe. A lot more obnoxious tee shirts are worn by others. I wouldn't worry about it.

Great! Where can I get one?

[cafepress.com]

@HippieChick58
Thank you.

@Anonbene Truly my pleasure!

Being selective as to where you wear it is a good thing.

Post a picture of it?

It's the truth. The truth is not obnoxious. An obnoxious t shirt would be:

E-MC2 (this happens whether Jesus wants it to or not)

Some would "take it" as an insult; and in truth, this is. However, some insults are needed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42488
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.