Agnostic.com

46 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are fast entering into an era when many of us will have wrong answers because of current nonsense. A recent poll showed that 47 % of people claim we have no proof of what to believe. This is what Trumps and the Kochs hoped for as they continue to dismantle everything. Before long we will be said to be that "Christian Nation" that so many have claimed from the beginning. Then the "Museum of the Bible" will have significance and 2 plus 2 will equal 5. America will be where they want it.

In the end it will weaken the U.S. and another super power will emerge. What worries me is the most likely candidate is China, which is still totalitarian

I give you graduates who think the Earth is flat and is only 4,000 years old... We never went to the moon... Contrails are actually chemicals sprayed by the government to keep us in line... 9/11 was a hoax (Pick which one as there are many!)

I'd like to have Anthony wish all religious people away to the cornfield! 😉

@BookDeath Idiots know no boundaries... Which is partly why I moved to 12 acres in the woods. I need a wider berth around these people.

The GOP evangelical right is against H.O.T.S. (higher order thinking skills), they see critical thought and the skills which underpin it as "detrimental to the family structure".

There are probably mullahs in Saudi Arabia thinking how backward America is.

A few years ago in southern California, a graduate of a religious high school gave the high school's religious answers to a state college's admissions test. The college refused to admit him and his parents sued. The court told him to apply for admission to a religious college.

My daughter, raised by her mother while I was overseas in a Fundie church, had to retake two years of HS work in order to enter university.

She is now a surgical nurse.

So I could say God- is everything and it's because of God and only God knows. Perfect score.

So everybody gets a perfect SAT score in Ohio???

How can I get a piece of this?

My sincere belief that pi=3 gave me these answers on the math test. Go ahead, flunk me out- I dare ya.

People have been giving wrong answers for religious reasons for thousands of years, whats new?

I’m so tired of living in a state of perpetual shame of my own species. We are just wallowing in a festering pit of our own ignorance and stupidity. Won’t someone invent warp drive or fusion power or immortality pills or something? Please?

There was another post talking about talking in tongues, I asked if I could use the fact that I can hold my tongue and talk as learning a foreign language. I could move to Ohio and get a PhD, in a week. Need a better reason to move, perhaps I could just write a letter and lie my ass of and get the degree.

The education system in this country is broken. Every day there is something new I can add to the growing list of reasons the US is in decline.

I'm not going to argue too much. There are pockets of hope. That said, I'm never returning to teaching.

From the report:
Bottom line: The Ohio House has passed legislation that would allow students to give wrong answers and not be penalized if those wrong answers are based on the student’s “sincerely held religious belief.”

The kids will have a field day with this. They'll make a game of it trying to see how ridiculous their answers can be while still getting credit. I wonder what they'll have to do to prove 'sincerely held religious belief'. What a farce. Somebody has decided that education is useless and meaningless. 😥

Wow. What are their plans for their kids' futures? Are they waiting for the second coming of Jebus to end the world so nothing will matter?

I've got news for them. Just like with all the other predictions over the last however many thousand years -- nobody's coming.

Because I adore Calvin and Hobbes, and you made me think of this one (hope I do this right):

OK, would it make a difference if I said that this is not precisely what the law actually says?

I mean it's not great, but it doesn't permit students to substitute the religious answer and get marked "correct" - the law says that the student will still be held to the academic and pedagogic standards, but cannot be marked wrong for introducing religious belief into the their answer.

Hence, a T/F question asking if the Earth is 4.5 billion years old would still be correct if marked true and wrong if marked false.

But if the question is in the form of an essay and the student states that "science and the textbook says 4.5 billion years old, but my church says 6,000 years" - they can't be marked wrong as they did get the "correct" answer according to the academic standards.

Like I said - this still paves the way for shenanigans, but it's not the soundbite to which everyone is reacting.

Your point really doesn't change the perspective here, for me, considering this is still a church interfering with secular, governmental state education and instruction. If they want their kids to get "credit" or an educational "pass" for absorbing and retaining woo instead of what they're being taught at school, there are any number of educational alternatives; religious schools and home schooling being a couple that quickly come to mind.

This requires the teachers to become "trained" in recognizing correct or incorrect religious responses in a vast variety of religious doctrines in addition to scoring test responses for scientific fact like they're supposed to. Inappropriate.

Teachers are there to instruct from a secular educational perspective, irrelevant of what differing religious beliefs are being fostered in the home. If little Johnny is to be brainwashed into thinking woo is true and facts are false, that's his parent's job, not the public schools. This should be a child's introduction into realizing there are differing points of view in the world, and maturing into learning to analyze and decide for themselves.

And THAT'S what the fundies are hoping to stifle.

@LisaFultonave - I agree with your assessment. In essence, in response to my "would it make a difference", your answer is "no".

However, my point was not to evaluate the potential impact of this law. After all, the future will need those qualified in the menial arts and if they hail from Ohio, I have nothing against that (my litter box doesn't clean itself!). And law is always in a state of being perfected - changing and refining.

I merely point out that if we are to engage in discourse, the least we can do is actually read the law to pick apart its faults instead of running with the snackable headline. Histrionics do not become us.

Pfft is all that comes to mind regarding that! Lols.

Ummm, that would be drumpy's world of "alternate facts" and W.R.O.N.G.

Insane

dewine will likely sign it too, since he is a republican. and yes, kasich would have too, if he were still there. i don't understand people who think he's like "the good republican." he's NOT, and i would not count on dewine's earning that label either.

g

No education to see here, move along. Another example of our Cultural self-destruction.. . .No progress comes from "wrong."

Islam anyone?

Ohhhhh, no, Muslim answers to those questions will put this law to the test for sure. Those won't be acceptable Ohio ignorance answers.

@LisaFultonave It is about the enforcement of stupid. No difference among the religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:426449
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.