Agnostic.com

31 8

What defines a good person to you?

I say, "to you" because I believe that while our society likes to paint the picture that we are all on the same page as to what makes someone good or bad, it may actually be entirely subjective. We have our own individual morals and values and those are what we ultimately use to determine a person's goodness/badness on a case by case basis. I believe it to be a grey-area, gradient type scale. So to you, what makes a good person? Is it their words, their actions, or a combination of both? And if it is a combination, does that then mean that someone isn't as good of a person if they do not practice both?

• 1 vote
  • 42 votes
  • 58 votes
TingleMuffin 4 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You can be a good person by practicing honesty, being equitable and fair, without talking about it.
You can’t talk a big game without actions to back it up.
The “words and actions” option leaves too much grey area for empty wind address; talk is cheap.

Voted for "primary actions".

Do you know how to tell when I'm spouting BS? When I speak. 😀

Actions are all that matter for any evaluation.

A good person has ethics, a conscience. A good person has respect for self and respect for others. A good person gives a hand up and listens, but is not a pushover. A good person is considerate, respectful, reliable and trustworthy.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 27, 2018

This may sound flippant but it's not. As best I can I try to not be a dick. To cause as little harm as possible and to help as much as possible.

Honesty is a very important quality for goodness in my eyes. But it has to be tempered with tact, sensibility and love I suppose. There are some other good qulities of course. Integrity, which is close to honesty. Loyality - which could be in conflict with the other two. Responsibility. Caring. Respect. If I could just use one word? Intgrity. But then people could ask what do you mean by that, just as the question asked what is good?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42705
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.