Agnostic.com

70 11

Why are we hated for hating xmas?

Every xmas and easter is the same, mostly since I have a child:
People who normally do not have strong opinions about anything criticise me when they find out I don’t do xmas and easter because I’m an atheist and for political and ecological reasons.
Suddenly they all start having strong opinions, calling me a Scrooge and other names. I try to make them understand the logic behind my reasoning (like what’s the point in celebrating the consumerist bastardisation of a religious event I don’t believe in, that along with ideas like degrowth and over-production and over-consumption) but they dismiss it all and say I should celebrate for the sake of my daughter.
If I told people I don’t celebrate because I’m Jewish or Muslim or any other religion, they wouldn’t bat an eyelid. I tell them it’s for political or any other reason, they get offended!
Does it happen to anyone else?

(I do do something for my daughter to not deprive her of joy and happiness but, at 4.1/2, she’s still doesn’t know what santa is)

SergeyCornwall 4 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

70 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can see your point. Both holidays are very overly commercial but that is one of the reasons I have no problem with celebrating them. Instead of celebrating christian reasons I simply use them to mark the changing of the seasons and enjoy the older pagan trappings that have been wrapped into the holidays.

I find the mindless commercial aspect as revulsing as the religious one. Producing and buying unnecessary goods that nobody even wants and thereby squandering already scarce resources at a time when we should be busy making up to the planet is pretty low and thoughtless!

@SergeyCornwall are you accusing me of being greedy and thoughtless because I disagree with your point of view?

@Donna_I is it a “point of view” to acknowledge that we’re all (me included) over consuming and thereby being a threat to the planet and all future generations?

@SergeyCornwall nope just hoped for a clarification.

I can't imagine catching flack over Easter. It's never happened. Maybe in some Bible Belt outpost where it's more of a community consensus thing, but not anywhere I've ever lived.

Christmas ... that is such a secularized holiday that is enjoyed for such a variety of reasons, I can't see it as a problem, either. We celebrated it in a low-key secular way when we had young children, but have not observed it even with so much as a gift exchange in years. Partly this is because my children are long since out of the nest and don't particularly observe it either; partly this is because my stepchildren traditionally spend Christmas with their father and Thanksgiving with us.

In my experience if you just go on about your business and don't make an ideological matter out of it, you'll be fine. There are ways to [not] address or to deflect inquiries; after all it's not really anyone's business how you [don't] celebrate holidays, and it's really rather impertinent for people to want to know and then turn around and censure you for it. Since it's clear that people can't handle your reasons, consdier just not offering them up. It is obviously TMI, and you're not going to change their minds.

Consider also whether you have a need to crusade about this and debate it. Most people will not share that desire, and many will take it personally. If you really want to promote your views, look for "kindred spirit" organizations and groups and for ways to participate anonymously with respect to your local, personal life.

Not that it isn't a legitimate choice to be "loud and proud" and open in your personal real-world life about this -- but if you choose to do that, make sure you have the requisite thick skin, coupled with realistic expectations.

“What?! You don’t go egg-hunting with your daughter?” Is one I’ve heard already. School and her cultural environment will teach her all about it and I’ll take part next year if she asks.

As for a crusade, well I do like to share and spread ideas of economic degrowth as I REALLY do believe it to be a cause worth pursuing. The idea that economic growth is a good indicator of a country and its people’s health is outdated. Now it’s all about producing for the sake of producing, consuming for the sake of consuming, all with the help of planned obsolescence. But infinite growth on a finite planet with finite resources is sheer madness.
Now isn’t that a cause worth arguing/debating for?

@SergeyCornwall As the peculiar child I apparently was, I always found coloring easter eggs to be a mind-numbingly boring waste of time. I believe I did it a couple of times with my own daughter, at her request, and I'm given to understand she does it with her own children. In fact we're visiting her over Easter Fool's Day and will probably get a chance to do it for what I hope is the last time in my entire life 😉

As to your cause ... since the planet is finite, growth is by definition finite. It's just a question of whether that finiteness will be imposed in very unpleasant ways via resource shortages or ecological breakdown, or would be more of a "soft" landing. My personal guess is it's more consequential for our mental health and subjective happiness than for the survival of the species; however, I think it unwise to test my theory, too.

I find myself bewildered by the array of urgent matters I could take up an activist stance about. The cause you have chosen, environmentalism generally, gun control, healthcare reform, anti-authoritarianism generally and anti-Trumpism specifically, the list goes on. I'm rapidly getting too old for this shit, honestly. But I tips me hat to ye, so I do, and to all who are trying to make this a better world.

I think further improvements are going to consist mostly of people learning to push back on their natural intuitions and instincts, which tend to be very tribal. This requires a level of self awareness and a shift to other-centeredness and humility that way too many appear to be utterly incapable of. Despite being a technologist, I now wonder if the accelerating advances of technology doesn't put too much capability in the hands of the unenlightened. Maybe this is the developmental wall all sentient species run into and seldom get past. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I hate to say this but it seems like you are provoking these encounters. I don't do xmas either and can't recall anyone getting worked up about it.

Only with those who know me, friends, workmates, family. I don’t just pick fights with random people on the streets or anything.

@SergeyCornwall right so you are provoking these fights. You really can't pretend to not understand why you are hated for something when by your own admission your are baiting someone on an issue.

No one bugs me about this stuff.

I hate Christmas more than ever before. My nephew was shot and killed on 12.23.11, I dread the holiday and can't wait til its over. So they can call me a scooge because I am one and don't feel I should have to explain myself.

I am so very sorry, Presley1209. My son was born on Christmas Eve, and he died suddenly, ten years ago. Since then, Christmas has been dreadfully difficult for me; but I would not say I hate it. You see, I cannot hate it, because his son was born on Christmas Day. Can you even imagine the mixed emotions I have at Christmastime? I am grateful that I have my grandson but at the same time I grieve for my son, his father. I think it will take the rest of my life for me to work this out. In the meantime, every year, like you, I can't wait for the holiday to be over. Hugs and love to you.

@SnowRain Oh wow, that would be difficult to deal with every year. I too am so sorry for your loss, how tragic. Many people tell me that my nephew would want us to celebrate, which I'm sure he would but I don't want to celebrate Jesus because I don't believe that story. Its good you have a grandson from your son, a part of him is still here! Sadly this will be something you have to face each year the rest of your life. I don't know how my sister does it each year. It takes a strong person for sure. ?

I don't hate Christmas. The Christians stole it from the pagans. I rather enjoy lights and I respect the pagans. So I don't hate Christmas, I hate Christianity. Just like I'm a lesbian, but I don't hate men. Sometimes I also hate men, but in addition to photography I also work part time in a tool store in the deep south, so it's understandable. Lol Why does one have to be 100% against something mainstream to be respected? Christmas is a time of joy, family, and traditions that to me, especially in 2018, have nothing to do with Christianity. Jesus wasn't even born in December.... They straight up stole a holiday and said it celebrated the birth of someone that facts (Christians' loose interpretation of facts, anyway) say was born in July. It's no more their holiday than mine and I celebrate it joyfully with my friends and family and cats.

Nice! Reminds me of the wonderful song by Dar Williams, "Pagans and the Christians sat together at the table, Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able..." Check it out on YouTube.

We are now in the year 2018 AD (Anno Domini) Does that mean Jesus had THREE birthdays??

For those who hate x-mas, you are hated for two reasons.

First. The religious aspect.

Secondly. What is morre Norman Rockwell Americana than Christmas.

Hating Christmas is viewed as Un-American.

I’m not American, I’m a Frenchman living in Scotland. But this is the West, the McWorld so some sensitivities are very similar.
There’s actually a yearly debate in France, a secular country, about the growing number of town halls and other public buildings that put nativity displays up. Some say it a bid to preserve our heritage in the face of the march of islam. I don’t buy into it. No nativity display for moi!

Hate begets hate. Stop hating. If you don't like something, you are free to ignore it. You may even find that this is much easier on you than hating....less stressful. There's no need to explain to those who know you, and those who don't know you, well, they actually do not care what you do. So my advice is to just lighten up and go with the flow. Be who you are and let others be who they are. Life is too short to be comparing notes all the time. Peace out.

Just how can one ignore xmas and easter when it’s in all our faces?

I'm an athiest and I love Christmas, actually. I guess it's more to do with how special the holiday was as a kid, and we love the tree and lights and stuff. There's no religion involved at all, obviously, but still fun. The kids and I have been sticking up a Festivus pole in addition to the tree for the last few years for kicks, too.

Awesome!

I would say it’s the two most important events in Christian history and we hate it because it’s been turned into a capitalist hell while there are people still chanting and preaching that it’s abour Jesus. If there’s one thing we atheists hate more than God, it’s hypocrites. In the case of Xmas and Easter, it’s people who preach about the goodness of Jesus while simaltaneously endorsing an economic system that they are supposed to hate. Christians who get this pointed to them either get a disappointed look of agreement while going about their daily lives like they never heard it or defend the holidays as religious when their capitalist bank accounts say otherwise.

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

well said Adam!

I don’t hate Christmas. I don’t hate Easter. I don’t celebrate the religious aspects at all. But I love family and friends and food and lights decorating and Easter egg hunts with little kids, and for years I enjoyed spoiling my niece and my daughter with things that they wanted and more things that they needed. I also get all of the major religious holidays off, including good Friday this week! ? I don’t have any regrets.

My feelings exactly. For me (even back when I considered myself a Christian), neither Christmas nor Easter were primarily about religion. Christmas especially was a fun time for all sorts of reasons, and still is to some degree.

Christmas is hated? ... it must be by some, perhaps knowing the full story of Christmas and Easter might make those not keen on so called christian recognised dates a bit more accepting of the festivals as more a family time to come together, thing is, Christmas is as far from christ as a thing can be, the 25th of december was the date the Pagans worshiped the sun, and the presentation of a tree decorated comes from the worship of Tamars, a pagon god who died and came back as a fir (pine) tree, Ishtar is the god of the moon and fell to earth in an egg according to the pagans on the full Moon that Easter is always celebrated on, her son was Tamars, the Roman conquered the Pagans and adopted these rituals, eventually the Roman Empire morphed into the holy Roman Empire or Chatholic church, many of the churches diates are from the ancient Roman Empire ... so in essence these festivals are Pagan, a system spoken against in the bible, why can't we just come together as a people and use the time to relax and be with the ones we love, cause it sure as hell aint no christain thing in reality!

I knew all that but I was living in the present time (at that time) and it wasn't okay. These days I ignore it if you can bring back all those other pagan times well done you

If you're going to continually rain on someone else's parade you're not going to be well liked. Why bother telling anyone you don't celebrate? Why bother explaining if you're asked? Lie to their faces and giggle hysterically knowing the truth of your real feelings.

SamL Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

I can’t lie, I’m a follower of Emmanuel Kant!

I can't wait until my last kid (15) is out of the house so I can stop doing anything for those days.

In answer to your question I can not and will not answer for others but for me no I do not have this happen to me. I do understand your reason behind not wanting to celebrate Christmas. I however do celebrate the holiday. Granted not for the reasons that Christians do though. I celebrate several things for that holiday. I explain to my children where the symbolism of each part comes from, the solstices the heathen festivals and such. They also learn the real histories behind them. For us Christmas is not about Christ, rather it is about the people before and after the church.

Ldox Level 4 Mar 24, 2018

I don't hate christmas or easter. I actually really like them and celebrate non-religious forms of them.

I think if everyone could respect everyone else's beliefs we could all enjoy everything.

I understand your antipathy toward money-grubbing holidays that have lost any real meaning except to merchants. I'm more free now, since my children are grown and grandkids will be soon. While I still get gifts for the grands, I don't pretend for anyone. I just grin and say, "I've gotten back to my roots; I celebrate Solstice!" Or, "Yes, I love hunting the brightly colored eggs provided by the goddess Oestara's rabbit consort." It might annoy some people, but the ones who matter love it. So give wee gifts to your wee girl and tell her the tradition behind the tinsel, including support and love to the forest creatures.

I celebrate all the seasonal holidays without shame....I love Yule and Samhain the best.

You do you and they do themselves. Their problem not yours.

I don't hate Christmas and celebrate it in a very secular way. I don't hate anybody for choosing to to celebrate it, and I don't hate anybody for celebrating it in a religious way. I don't celebrate Easter, but when my sons were little, I did the egg, basket, chocolate bunny, etc. thing for them. Live and let live, or die and get resurrected... whatever ignites your sparkler.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 24, 2018

In situations like that I try not to be in opposition with anyone. The way I choose to celebrate life doesn’t get in the way of others’ view. A respectful dialog is always the preferred route. Someone once told me that people do not change their mind, but can make a new decision based on new information. When I start from a defensive position, there is very little chance the conversation will end well.

The basic idea I think any holiday is to get together with family. If you start to look at it as honoring some myth it loses all the true meaning which should to celebrate life and make memories.

I celebrate both I just leave out the religious bullshit. But to each their own you do what you feel is best.

Meet it with aggression, I do. Works for me.

It has happened on occasion, but honestly I don't care, and I make no attempt to jusify or explain. I prefer to let it be their problem !

I don't hate any holidays - I simply ignore the religious ones .

I don't hate it. I think it's good to sit back and reflect on things and do a little sharing of gifts. I don't like the whole competition mind set. Even the false religious aspect doesn't bother me.
If people feel good about it then so be it. I'm not one to wreck that. In the end I stI'll know who I am and how I feel about things. If you just look at the concept of it, it's not a bad thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42783
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.