Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I consider myself solidly pro-choice. I would never consider forcing someone to have an abortion but honestly think more women should have them than do. Too often parents boast about how strong they are and how well they're dealing with the torture they are inflicting on their children.

I'm an advocate of "ounce of prevention", as in the use of birth control. Abortion is a last resort, but better than an unwanted and likely rejected child.

Excellent answer.

Bodily autonomy. We don't own people, regardless of Hayek's work.

I am a hardcore advocate for a woman's right to choose. Until I was about 25 that was my emergency back up plan. At this point in my life, I wouldn't do it myself, but I still believe that until the fetus can survive outside the womb (with or without medical intervention) it is a parasite incapable of surviving outside the host and that host has every right to rid it from their body. I am against "partial birth abortions" but those tend to only happen these days in back alleys because legal and healthy avenues have been blocked. During the first trimester, there is no baby to kill- merely ejecting a collection of cells from the body.

Pro Choice all the way. Keep your politics and beliefs out of the bedroom and away from a woman's body. No one should dictate how or what they choose to do with whatever situation arises.

I used to share good Atheist time with Polly Roinstein; she was the head of the Westchester Coalition for legal abortion. Polly always mentioned her chat on abortion with a very well known local senator; he told her "We don't care about the fetus...but we don't want to give women so much power and, at the same time, to lose a campaign issue.

@DUCHESSA What, one of them actually admitted the truth? That it's about power and control? Photos or it didn't happen 🙂

@RobAnybody That answer was given to Polly -who passed recently- in 2004.

@DUCHESSA Not disbelieving it, stunned that he'd be so blatant.

@RobAnybody And he said so to Polly about 35 years ago. See, it was very difficult to fool / shut up Polly. great lady.

If men could get pregnant abortion would be free and there'd be a clinic on every corner

It should be legal, and all women should have bodily autonomy to make decisions about their own bodies. So sick of religious men making decisions about what I can and cannot do with MY BODY!!!

Realistically, until the foetus becomes a viable baby, able to live independently of the mother, then it is none of my business. I cannot insist that a female should be used as an incubator against her will.

I do genuinely believe that in the interest of both mother and unborn child that there should be a point after which the pregnancy should continue to full term.

This is, however, my rather simplistic view, and as ever, there are lots of variables and other subtleties that require consideration.

Ladies choice.

Women should definitely have the right to have an abortion.

I believe in a woman’s right to choose. ... ... !!!
... religon nor science has nothing to do with my position.

Tomas Level 7 Aug 26, 2018

In theory, I think it should be entirely a woman's decision. However it really isn't that simple. In a perfect world, all children conceived would be wanted and would be free of physical defects. That's not the case. If she chooses to continue the pregnancy, there's going to be a child to raise and support. I was lucky, when I got accidentally pregnant I was happy (he wasn't) and had the resources to go it entirely alone. His name isn't even on the birth certificate. But I was lucky in being able to handle it this way.
I do think that whatever the relationship or lack of one between the potential parents, it's the woman's body and the woman's life that are going to be most affected. Therefore it should be her decision.

My position on abortion is my body my choice. My first pregnancy was ended by abortion because the fetus had neural tube defects that were not compatible with life outside the womb and may have been threatening to my life. Yes I wanted a baby and I was heartbroken to end the pregnancy. And because I was so far along I had to go through labor and deliver that baby. When the baby was born there were more defects than they realized. The baby had anencephaly, spina bifida, front line didn't close, cleft lip and cleft palate. 20 years later the father of my children told those children he believed we made a mistake ending that pregnancy. WTF. Which is why we are no longer married. He was at the delivery, he saw the baby. I consider that a betrayal.

My position on abortion is my body my choice. My first pregnancy was ended by abortion because the fetus had neural tube defects that were not compatible with life outside the womb and may have been threatening to my life. Yes I wanted a baby and I was heartbroken to end the pregnancy. And because I was so far along I had to go through labor and deliver that baby. When the baby was born there were more defects than they realized. The baby had anencephaly, spina bifida, front line didn't close, cleft lip and cleft palate. 20 years later the father of my children told those children he believed we made a mistake ending that pregnancy. WTF. Which is why we are no longer married. He was at the delivery, he saw the baby. I consider that a betrayal.

I'm sorry! That sucks! What an ass!

Women always have to right choose, it's their body! I don't judge those who have had an abortion. i think the reason for abortions very greatly and it's no ones business other than the patient and the doctor.

I am not pro abortion, but I do not think that the choice belongs to me.

This is a simple thing to understand...until a human is born, they have no sensory input. And without that you have no thought processes. Also, you have to be born to be a citizen of any country. Without citizenship, you have no rights.

I agree with your words...but to make them understood is a job that I rather leave to others; the ignorance engulfing mankind is too large / thick.

I completely agree with your sentiment but according to livescience.com ""The science shows that based on gestational age, the fetus is not capable of feeling pain until the third trimester," said Kate Connors, a spokesperson for ACOG. The third trimester begins at about 27 weeks of pregnancy.

I believe that the soul, or whatever makes a person sentient and aware and unique, does not enter the physical body until the baby takes its first breath. Therefore, I have no moral issues with abortion. And I think that it should be a choice made by both partners.....but when it comes right down to it, I believe the woman has the final decision.

marga Level 7 Mar 11, 2018

I'm in favor of abortion. Hitlers mother should of had one.

None of your business!

My body, my business. Just that simple. I'm not asking anyone else to have one or not have one, especially since I don't know nor need to know their health or life situations. Treating people like criminals for taking care of their life as then need is far more wrong, It's their business and they are entitled to conduct their life as they need to.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 5, 2018

I believe it is entirely the woman's business. Personally I am against it. Good thing I will never need one. And if a friend decided to have one, good thing I would be too busy being a supporting caring friend to worry about it.

If only more felt that way. Taking care of eachother should be a higher priority than degrading someone in a position to need one.

Since you seem to be the only even marginally dissenting opinion here, can you please tell us more? Why are you against it? Are there time constraints on if or how wrong you think it is?

I am against it as a personal choice. Thus "I" would not seek one. It is none of my business if others want to however.

@SCOTT63 I know, I was asking why though. Is it because you think it's a person, because you think it has a soul, etc.

Oh, sorry. I am not sure I buy that souls exist. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be here I guess. Nor do I believe that life begins at birth. But, the part of me that believes a potential life begins at conception makes me not fond of the practice of abortion. I also know there are many legitimate reasons for abortion. My ultimate view is that abortion is a medical decision and the only people ultimately involved are the woman and her Dr. Politicians absolutely have zero authority to get involved in my worldview.

Abortion is a condition that exists because the pregnant woman either is uneducated regarding birth control or does not have access to birth control. In the event that she became pregnant even though she was practicing safe sex, abortion is her decision; hers alone and nobody else's. If she respects the father, the next option is to include him in the decision making process.

A woman's right to choose is paramount. I question the morality of ANYONE who would grant more rights to a blastocycst, zygote, or fetus than to the living breathing SENTIENT human being in which it resides.

Ibelieve the woman has the right to choose. My first daughter Becky was born 3 months early with cerebral palsy when I was 29, It was advised I not get pregnant again or I would be early again.At 42 I was single and learned I was pregnant. My family wanted me to abort-afraid of another premature birth, downsyndrome, or some other medical crisis. It was my decision and no one elses. I could handle a child with special needs I decided. Jesse was born on time-9 months with no special needs.It should be the Mom's decision.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.