Agnostic.com

85 7

How old were you when you got married for the first time?

"For many people, regardless of sexual orientation, a wedding is no longer the first step into adulthood that it once was, but, often, the last. It is a celebration of all that two people have already done, unlike a traditional wedding, which was a celebration of what a couple would do in the future.

Consistent with this shift in meaning, different-sex couples, like the many of the same-sex couples who have married recently, are starting their marriages later in their lives. According to the Census Bureau, the median age at first marriage—the age at which half of all marriages occur—was 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men in 2017. That’s higher than at any time since the Census began keeping records in 1890."

[theatlantic.com]

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

21 and 21 -- two lonely nerds who met in Calculus class - both far far away from home ... decided to get married when we realized we were probably never going to find "anything better" - calculating, but ... She carried us for the first 10 years, we had 20 "salad years" -- then she invoked the "in sickness and health clause" and passed after 20yr of grief. What would I change? -- don't honestly know - good times/bad times -

I was 21. Jesus that was a long time ago. I feel ancient.

I was 27 and she was an older woman aged 30

I was 23, he was 24. We had twenty great years, but cancer ended it. I did not feel young or immature. I now look at my 21 YO daughter and wonder how things changed so much. She's at 21 like I was at 19.

Zster Level 8 Mar 25, 2018

Me, too. Cancer is a monster.

I was in my early 30’s

I was 24. I didn't have the inner security, maturation, experience needed to make it a good one.

1. btw the date was 07/07/07 and it didn't last 5 years, so much for 7 being a lucky number!! Although perhaps it was, I got two amazing daughters and it didn't last the rest of life 🙂

Glass half full I guess lol

I was married at 18 years far too young but our marriage lasted 30 years so not too bad...Difficult at first for me being on my own after we seperated but have learnt alot about myself and am happy in my skin..

I was a teen bride-married two weeks before my 20th birthday.

@VictoriaNotes, wow, so young (for you both)! I don't know if this is one of the "social stigmas" but my BFF's mother told me that I'd best get married before 30 or people would think I was a lesbian. I made it under the wire by three months. 🙂

I was 18. He made me laugh. And was my first best friend. He had drinking issues and I was a happy naive just want to belong to somebody kind of girl and anxious to get out of south Dakota. It worked . A long strange trip but two great kids out of it.

Jayne Level 2 May 19, 2018

25 the first time. 32 the second.

Seventeen -

My wife turned sixteen, fifteen days after our first child's birth. I was also in the Army by that time.

22 fresh out of the war 1974 second marriage for both of us 1993 blending families all 4 of my relationships were 8 years each @ 66 my love should last 5 decades but being single 1981 1991 2002 and 2013 was painful longing for shared living with tender joy

1. You'd think I would've known better.

Nineteen In a registry office .

23....way too young imo

24, like the TV show

jeffy Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

I was 28 and we made it 15 years. It was really good until it wasn't.

32, I would not have gotten married then, Were it not too relieve a third parties mind rather than Hers. Foolish choice. Once was more than enough.

20 the first time. I thought I could change a person's colors. Serious error in judgement.

27, lasted 19 years.

25 yrs old In 1995. My wife was 24. Married only once, 22 yrs. I think the trend toward marrying later is smart. It may also be a consequence of harder financial times, student debt and caution based on learning more about the legal consequences if that marriage should fail.

I was 30. Thought if I waited it would last forever.

26 when first married. It lasted 13 years

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.