Agnostic.com

85 7

How old were you when you got married for the first time?

"For many people, regardless of sexual orientation, a wedding is no longer the first step into adulthood that it once was, but, often, the last. It is a celebration of all that two people have already done, unlike a traditional wedding, which was a celebration of what a couple would do in the future.

Consistent with this shift in meaning, different-sex couples, like the many of the same-sex couples who have married recently, are starting their marriages later in their lives. According to the Census Bureau, the median age at first marriage—the age at which half of all marriages occur—was 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men in 2017. That’s higher than at any time since the Census began keeping records in 1890."

[theatlantic.com]

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments (76 - 85)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Married at 53 so that my Nazi family wouldn't get my porfolio when a near death experience jumped me. I would never have married & really dislike having to say I am, cause it is open save for the finances. He is a house mate not the other kind of mate.

@VictoriaNotes Thanks. But my current situation is fine other than having a house mate. He has his own bathroom so it is all good.=0}

25 and it was a mistake

43 and still single. I can't even get a date. Too shy and when I do force myself to speak to a lady I like I'm every kind of irritating awkward. A familiar story.

Bad mistake except for my daughter. She didn't cry when she was born - she growled.

Only one thing we agreed on: When the vicar came round to arrange the date for her christening we both agreed that we would wait until she could make her own mind up. My daughter is a fervent atheist.

About 32 I think and naively I thought it would save our relationship which is ridiculous and I don't believe in marriage.

Married at 19, divorced at 22, did not marry again until l was 41.

I was 28 in 1989.

First marriage I was 19.... Waaay too young. That marriage lasted 24 years, alhtough most of the last decade of it we were just going through the motions. Second time around was I wa 46, and that one only lasted just shy of 5 years. Complicated stories surrounding both. Four kiddos with first marriage, none with the second. Last of the four will enter high school this fall.

Ohub Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

Being such an introvert (and social misfit) it took me 28 years to get married (the first time - did I mention I am also a slow learner). She was 22.

What about you?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.