Agnostic.com

12 16

Today's hike with micro-spikes on one foot. Needed two.

Our plan was to climb to the summit of Mission Ridge Ski Area. When we arrived, we discovered we needed snowshoes. None of us brought snowshoes. I forgot my micro-spikes.

"Kathleen, you have to carry my micro-spikes," Karen said. "We both can have them on one foot." I gladly accepted the extra weight. "That's my penance," I replied. "Thank you."

Susan, Karen and I decided to hike to nearby Clara and Marion Lakes instead. Much of the steep trail was covered with ice. We hiked five miles with 1,236' of elevation gain.

Golden Larch needles covered the ground. Beautiful! At the highest lake, the temperature dropped and it began snowing while we ate lunch. I stayed warm in a dry shirt (crucial), ski pants, down vest, down sweater, hat and mittens.

Descending, 90% of the ice had melted. I slipped on black ice twice where I thought the ice had melted. Grabbed a Cedar branch to keep myself from falling. The second time, I landed on one knee hard. The boot without micro-spikes slipped, of course.

"That's the last time I'll forget my micro-spikes in the winter," I told Karen. She laughed.

Photos:

1. Lake Marion, 5,000' (upper lake).

2. Golden Larch needles covered the ground.

3. Lake Clara. What caused straight lines on the ice on both lakes? Windblown snow?

4. Rocky lunch spot above the highest lake.

5. Winding stream in a meadow.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

These are Snow Trax. They’re good on running shoes on icy streets

Great writing and gorgeous photos as always. Thank you for sharing.

@19dacar52

Thank you so much. We're spoiled on the sunny east side of the Cascade Mountains.

"This picture would be better is if the sky was blue," a professional photographer said. eye roll

@LiterateHiker I have to disagree with the professional photographer, the mountains and lake make that photo. I like the sky in this one because it makes it a winter scene in my mind.

@19dacar52

Agreed. Here's another at Ingalls Lake with Mt. Stuart (9,416 feet) in the background.

Terry, 32 and me, 28, in 1982.

Breathtaking. You are lucky to have access to hike those amazing trails!

It wasn’t it long ago since your foot was in one of those big boots. Do remember.

@Jolanta

Here I am on June 10, 2019 with a broken toe. Lovely, eh?

After five weeks in the medical boot, I wrapped a bungee cord around the boot ankle, and hooked it to the heel of a rowing machine footrest.

Then I rowed to my heart's content by pushing with my heels. I felt victorious!

please post a picture of microspikes

@ADKSparky

Here are my beloved Lowa hiking boots with microspikes. I made the Velcro straps for Karen and me so they don't fall off in snow.

@LiterateHiker Thanks for posting! Those are heavy duty, industrial grade.

@ADKSparky

Micro-spikes are lightweight compared to heavy crampons for ice climbing.

These micro-spikes cost $86. That's why I made the Velcro straps, so I don't lose them in the snow.

@LiterateHiker I'm totally getting these for my dad since he had his hip replaced a while ago and still hobbles, and worry about him this up coming winter. What is the brand name of the micro-spikes?

@MarcusMethod

They are Kahtoola micro-spikes. Make sure you get the size that fits his shoes or boots.

Don't get YakTrax with cables for traction. If you step inside a store (linoleum) BAM! immediately your feet slip and you hit the floor. Cables don't work on ice like the points on micro-spikes.

@LiterateHiker Thank you for the tips!

as a hiker, you might like Death on Katahdin by Randi Minetor

a lesson in how demanding and how unforgiving Mother Nature is

Great pictures and description. I’m glad you were able to figure an option, and didn’t get hurt when you fell

@BudFrank

Thank you. You're right.

With osteoporosis diagnosed last June, I'm lucky I didn't break a bone.

My grandmother had terrible osteoporosis. Thought I prevented it by hiking, running and weightlifting. Yet exercise immeasurably improved my heart, muscles, lungs and LIFE.

By taking Fosamax that builds bone, I should be without osteoporosis in one to two years.

@LiterateHiker Great !

Thank you for another amazing virtual outing!

More beautiful scenery ,An amazing area for diveristy for your hiking and another fabulous narrative of your hike,like we are there with you πŸ™‚

@RoyMillar

Thank you so much! I felt like an idiot for not grabbing my micro-spikes from my car trunk. I was so excited to see Susan after months, I overlooked them.

lol What would an outing be if we did not forget something πŸ™‚

You should publish a book. Illustrated with your beautiful photos, of course. πŸ™‚

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:428749
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.