Agnostic.com

28 1

How open are you about debate?

Are you sensitive to having your ideas challenged?
Do you like to hear other perspectives?
Does it feel like arguing or comrade re when someone disagrees?
Does debate feel like an attack- or an act of respect (that someone would value you enough to bother)?

• 57 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 11 votes
silvereyes 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I gotta be in the mood, though.

I'm an open book but you might be offended by my answer so make sure you are before you ask.

In order to know and grow one has to get involved in non-judgemental, rational talk. I find I often learn as much as another when sharing information.

I prefer peace of mind

Healthy debates are always welcomed.

Some people don't debate they just argue. iykwim

I'll debate, but only so long as I can see debate coming from the other side - but nowadays, it usually turns into a preaching/ condemnation/ I'm right, you're wrong argument & at that point, I don't give a shit whether you agree with me or not .. you're an idiot & the debate is over.

As an Atheist with a ThD (PhD) in Theology and Comparative Modern Religions I am pretty well open to debate at most times.

If I am going to have a debate with a theist- it just proves I have nothing better to do with my time than to waste it.

I like to respectfully debate with people on occasion. Not to say it can't get heated, not angry but impassioned, but if there is respect on each side, then there shouldn't be any hard feelings once it's over.

I am conflict averse. I realize debate is not necessarily combative, but to a peacenik like myself, it can feel surprisingly so. Lively discussion where people exchange ideas and are open to revision of theirs can be pretty stimulating.

Zster Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

I've never done formal debate. I wonder if I would be any good at it. I like politely arguing and having open discussions.

Is this a specific debate u have in mind? Or just generally debating stuff?

I don't 'feel' like I know enough to debate anything. There are people that would destroy me by pulling up all sorts of resources and blah. I love a lively discussion though, metaphorically speaking.

I’m fine with debate but think it’s largely a waste of time. These days I tend to simply turn my pretty head and walk away.

Debate or stagnate.

No 'like' button. Thumbs up!

I enjoy debating a topic. But, one cannot reason with irrationality. All one can do, in that case, is to point out the irrationality and ask how and why a person would engage in it?

A good debate gives me juice, forces me to sharpen my pencil, make me consider arguments I hadn't thought of before, and forces me to consider the truth and accuracy of my own opinions and beliefs.

So, bring it on. But if my opponent insists on using points that are illogical and flawed, and uses immature behaviour, I'll tell them to take a hike.

I voted other. It depends on the opposition.

If they're mostly honest I'll at least give it a go. If they're someone who tries to shrug off direct questions posed to them or are constantly moving the goalposts, I want nothing to do with them.
Ad Homs are a conversation killer too.

How it is done is very important. Respect, Bro... and Sis!

I used to be eager for debate, and when I was in college I would sometimes take a position I didn't even agree with just for the sake of argument. Today I don't care as much. I'll debate a little, but I think for most people debate isn't about exploring issues so much as trying to paint someone into a corner. I prefer simple discussion, though: tell me what you think, I'll share my views, I'll ask questions to better understand your perspective, and hopefully you'll ask followups as well, and we both come away with a better understanding of the other without feeling an adversarial need to convince each other.

Best answer

I want the truth, so i like debates. But debates end when someone begins name-calling and displaying pointed anger.

It is fascinating to learn how other people use their minds, but i am immediately turned off when someone decides that a word can only mean one thing, or that anything is certain and absolute as opposed to highly probable or commonplace (OR and this is huge, when a party doesn't read or listen to the whole statement of the other party and decides to twist their words), because at that point you're seeking validation, you're not discussing. Anger is sometimes a barrier to be negotiated, but if it arises and one party refuses to soften or doubt themselves and remains unmoving, again, they're looking for validation.

Intelligent debate, one based on factual information and not beliefs, is always illuminating. And fun.

Debating is one of life’s little pleasures.

I see debate as a matter of learned opinions. Im open to debates. I learn as i go. If i see anger, it tells me something about that person. I may continue or stop depending on the behavior of the person challenging me. I like knowledge. I may not agree with a person or a group of people. I don't make it a face to face challenge. I know when to back up and out of a conversation. Example: i use to chair step study with new young people at NA. After awhile a couple of people put in the suggestion box that i was trying to teach the program. The owner (guy that pays the bills) ask me to tone it down. He didnt want to loose money by people going to another NA group. The new people decided to change the program and explain how it works. I was to hard in my explainations of the steps. I decided that it would be better that i let someone else give the Tuesday night meetings. Hey... i was only explaining experience, strength, and hope. I also told the people outside smoking that i wouldnt sign their papers if they didnt come inside. I was committed to help them. They just wanted me to sign their paper from the court and control the meeting. Hmm.

Debates is the best way to shine taughts and ideas

uzair Level 3 Nov 19, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.