Agnostic.com

35 5

How do you deal with religion with your kids

I from the moment she was born decided my daughter would be taught about religion, ALL religion, because I firmly believe the best defense against indoctrination is education. That and I was competing with her mother who had a renewed interest in religion when she became a mother.
Now her mother has since gone over the edge and become ultra religious, we are unsurprisingly no longer together, which is doing more than I ever could to push our daughter to non-belief. But when she was young I would read to her books about different religions and would read bible stories written for kids and he mother hated it. WHY? because not only was I introducing her to the idea that there is not one religion, I would explain the bible stories to get at what the kids version left out and even the adult version kind of glosses over.

So how do you do with your kids?

• 1 vote
  • 13 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 27 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 3 votes
ThomasLevi 6 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When my kids were growing up (they are now 27 to 34) we went to church, I was a bible study leader, director of VBS, and active in committees and lay leadership. I was a "church lady". 15 years ago we moved to Omaha and I could not find a church I was comfortable with. Nebraska is way more conservative than I liked, but we ended up in a conservative church because the kid still at home knew kids there, and I had plans for the future that I wanted her to have a good support group. I chose divorce about 10ish years ago, my ex had grown way too conservative and way too invested in his xian website. He put the website above family. I moved out with the youngest, and she and her dad continued going to the church. I drifted, and then moved further and further away from religion. My mind cleared and I saw the light. The two older kids came out as atheist/agnostic, and the youngest still goes to church to keep daddy happy, and her social group, she is now the pianist for the church. It might change, she just moved further away from the church and I think the drive in will be too much with her family obligations. We were a military family so we moved frequently, and military at the time was so inclusive of other faiths and backgrounds, my kids were encouraged to learn everything. My ex is more alarmed that the middle child is atheist than that she is gay.

They are born atheists. Just leave them where they are!

We learn about all religions they can practice whatever they wish.

We need more parents like you!!

I became an atheist by the time I started High school despite living in the Bible belt. My mom was a "seeker" and explored different christian denominations but never really found one that fit. My Dad was a non practicing Catholic. At times it loomed large in my childhood life but never consistently so. Once I became an atheist my parents accepted it and didn't pressure me.

So based upon my experience, I'm letting my wife say and do what she wants to now that they are young, 4 & 6. One they get old enough to start thinking critically I will explain to them what I believe and why. And if they choose to follow my beliefs then, I hope, my wife will be ok with it and let it happen. I also have a 19 year old with her and I did just that and now he is not religious at all, although he's more agnostic than atheist. But religion is not really part of our lives anyway, except sometimes my wife will get the little ones to say a prayer together. My 6 year old has asked me questions about god and I just let him know that people believe different things and some people don't think god is real. He's on the autism spectrum and I'm not sure what I want him to believe anyway (being a xtian might be an easier life). But I will treat it the same way with him.

I have told my wife that I will not interfere with what she teaches them, but when they get old enough I will tell them about my beliefs and that I expect the same respect from her.

There's a social aspect to it that might actually be good for them in one way by providing comfort and a network. Of there are many negatives as well. However, honestly I did experience prejudice when I was younger and one always wants to minimize the struggles his children will face. Although these days, at least in the big city I live in now, it's not that big of a deal.

I do want my kids to have similar beliefs to mine. And I will make that a possibility for them. But honestly my first priorities are that they are happy and kind and can take care of themselves. There's definitely a benefit to being "well adjusted".

I didn't have kids. Simple solution to a complicated problem.

My personal ethos depends on self determination. Therefore I would answer all questions concerning religion thoroughly, accurately and honestly. Barring harm, if their interest is still in tact then it is their road to follow.

I am agnostic so my wife also concurs. When there is death my wife and I still kinda instil the concept of heaven. Yet I still teach everything can be explained by science.

Religion... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

Outsiders looking in call biblical text religious studies, those that study biblical text learn things like helping widows and orphans etc. Is the religious actions. And if someone studies deep enough they would find biblical text points to Jesus character as being Angelic lord of host Lucifer the devil.

Word Level 8 Nov 22, 2019

I just tell him that some people think this happens when you die and others think this happens and that no one really knows for sure. When he was very young however, I had to tell him the heaven thing because he got upset and that calmed him down but since then he is happy with having many different possibilities.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:429901
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.