Agnostic.com

29 2

What made you change from believer to non-believer?

For those of you that were devoutly following & committed to your faith as an adult, what fact, experience, or thought, etc. started you on the path away from your faith?
For me, a dramatic mind shift had to occur first, including questioning many of my assumptions. And that took me over a decade to process because my psyche couldn’t handle or “see” certain things honestly until many many layers were peeled back first.

MichaelJay 4 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was a believer only in that I accepted the existence of a rather involved but somehow overseeing god who had no demands, nor any active role in my life, more of a silent observer, until I was 15 and realized how unlikely that was. I was never a believer in any other sense, never went to shul except for bar mitzvahs and weddings, got and gave Chanukah gifts (still do that) and had a strong sense of Jewish cultural identity (still have that). But when my folks said long-haired boys were dirty I just figured they knew what they were talking about, and yet when the monkees TV show came on the air, ghetto had long hair and obviously were not as my folks had described long-haired boys. So I decided to examine everything I took for granted. God, who had barely been there anyway, went right out the window. (liberal politics stuck around.)

g

I learned to think, coupled with of Karl Popper's "The Logic of Scientific Discovery".

And well done you!

My Mother was a slightly observant Jew, and I was packed off to temple on weekend mornings. I resented having my valuable weekend time wasted on weird/dopey holidays and Bar Mitzvahs (I did like the wine in paper cups...) Also, my classmates seemed far from being the bright kids their parents believed them to be. I just didn't like their company; I couldn't form friendships with people I only saw on weekends. The instructional material felt bogus. If it were valid, it would be taught in real school. A small part of it might have been the disenfranchisement of both Judaism and Christianity from the Holocaust. Neither religion could be valid, given it was Christians who enacted the Holocaust and the Jews who were murdered by it. Some Chosen People! Bull shit! After protesting, I was released from this torture.

I did respect how the Jewish community seemed to be progressive. Only later did I find out that only the Reform Jews aligned with Humanist values, all the rest were closer to the Republican mind-set. Later, I rejected Judaism for a couple of reasons: One was how it disrespected women. The other was the dishonest claim to seek truth. As one devoted to learning science, I couldn't understand how scientific discoveries (especially the very profound ones) received no recognition within the religion.

While Judaism was at odds with Christianity, Christianity was also actively attacking science. I was shocked at some of the vitriol I heard on the radio as I crossed the US. While Judaism endorsed the academic side of studying science, Judaism had no comment on Creationism. Maybe that's because some Jewish sects believe their own form of Creationism.

So, I rejected Judaism out of a desire to gain control of my free time. Then, acquired knowledge and reason revealed the contrast between reality and religious PR.

Define... "believer", Define... "non-believer", Why you want to know? Will any answer change you?

Believer in a faith or not. And that was really just for the simplified title for my more specific question written underneath it:

"For those of you that were devoutly following & committed to your faith as an adult, what fact, experience, or thought, etc. started you on the path away from your faith?
For me, a dramatic mind shift had to occur first, including questioning many of my assumptions. And that took me over a decade to process because my psyche couldn’t handle or “see” certain things honestly until many many layers were peeled back first."

And the question wasn't raised to get answers that would change me, per se, but to help connect with others that were also heavily involved in their faith as adults that are now atheists/agnostics/etc. Plus, I'm curious what information or experience helped them punch through that seemingly impenetrable wall when you're in that deep. Helps me better understand other people's experiences, which in turn help me see my own experience within the context of other people's experiences. And see other perspectives helps me with my own perspective.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:430717
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.