Agnostic.com

6 10

LINK Cards and letters for incarcerated Humanists

Throughout the year, the American Humanist Association supports incarcerated people who identify as humanist, atheist, agnostic, and non-religious by providing them with AHA membership opportunities, literature, humanist pen pals, and assistance in forming humanist groups.

Help us also spread some season's greetings to them by sending secular holiday letters. You can help in 5 easy steps:

Volunteer to send letters by emailing HumanismForAll@americanhumanist.org by December 18 to be matched with one or more of our incarcerated humanist members.
Print one of our secular holiday letters (or use a white sheet of paper) and add a nice greeting from a you, a fellow humanist. Due to facility rules, cards and colored paper are often not accepted, so please only send letters with no attachments or glitter.
Mail to recipient's facility with AHA office as return address: (Your Name) 1821 Jefferson Place, Washington, DC 20036.
Email HumanismForAll@americanhumanist.org when the letter is mailed. If you aren't able to send a letter, please let us know.
Let us know if you want to join our humanist pen pal program.
In the DC area and want to prepare letters with AHA? Great! RSVP on Meetup to join us on Tuesday, December 10, 5:30-7:30pm.

Thank you and have a great winter solstice!

HippieChick58 9 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wonder is this Jail or Prison the letters go to? Jails can oft be worse due to crowding and criminal type mixture (traffic violators with assaulter ect), however it is a very common ploy by criminals in prison to use letters as a means to exploit the kind instincts of others (whom a criminal may see as a mark)

Which brings up my boggle on this.
YES, this is a nice, kind thing to do
BUT
are there are protections for the kind person, or are they opening themselves up to be scammed by a criminal who sees an easy mark in the kind hearted?

What 'protections' would you expect, from people who might accept nice gestures you made willingly? Im really not sure youre being rational with your concern.

The point here is to make a nice gesture while expecting nothing in return. Maybe just try not to live life frozen by irrational fear?

And you posted this twice.

@BryanLV Not frozen by fear, familiar with criminals. Prison is full of criminals who want nothing more than to exploit the gullable.

By protections I mean, who is screening which inmates can participate?
Are they allowing any and all prisoners to, including those convicted for frauds and cons?

From an inmate
"I can tell you that prisoners serving long sentences would probably LOVE getting letters. They do a very public mail call and when their bunk is called and they get to walk up and get their letter, it’s like Christmas for many of them. Due to the atmosphere in which they are confined, however, many inmates adopt a “hustling” lifestyle. Often looking for a way to gain something."

And A Guard
"First let me start off w/ my credentials; yes, anyone can type this but for me it's actually true: 14 yrs Law Enforcement w/ 7 of those years in Corrections.

Writing an inmate isn't dangerous as long as you keep in mind that you are writing an inmate. They literally have all day to write the perfect letter. They tell you everything you want to hear. They will consult other inmates on what to say and how to phrase things; some have asked guards to proofread the letter. Sometimes other inmates will write the letter for them.

Also, keep in mind that you aren't the only one writing them. I've seen some inmates get 5-8 letters a nite and yes, it's very public who gets letters. It's kind of a status symbol.

I'm not going to say that every one of them is a scan artist, but many are. The guy with 5-8 letters, guess what? All those girls are also sending him money also. Remember, you won't be "the only one."

Any kind hearted person who decides to do this SHOULD use a PO box.

Yep bu accident I posted twice

After spending 8 months in jail due to the inability to pay bail, for a crime I would later be exonerated of, I learned a lot about our criminal 'justice' system. So much so that while I was still in church, I became a part of our church's 'prison ministry '. I missed that when I left the church. This is a great idea. In fact, it will tie in perfectly with my recent Pastafarian ordination.

I wonder how a Pastafarian/agnostic prison outreach would be received by the prison system?

I wonder is this Jail or Prison the letters go to? Jails can oft be worse due to crowding and criminal type mixture (traffic violaters with assaulters ect), however it is a very common ploy by criminals in prison to use letters as a means to exploit the kind insticts of others (whom a criminal may see as a mark)

Which brings up my boggle on this.
YES, this is a nice, kind thing to do
BUT
are there are protections for the kind person, or are they opening themselves up to be scammed by a criminal who sees an easy mark in the kind hearted?

@Davesnothere What 'protections' would you expect, from people who might accept nice gestures you made willingly? Im really not sure youre being rational with your concern.

The point here is to make a nice gesture while expecting nothing in return. Maybe just try not to live life frozen by irrational fear?

@BryanLV Not frozen by fear, familiar with criminals. Prison is full of criminals who want nothing more than to exploit the gullable.

By protections I mean, who is screening which inmates can participate?
Are they allowing any and all prisoners to, including those convicted for frauds and cons?

From an inmate
"I can tell you that prisoners serving long sentences would probably LOVE getting letters. They do a very public mail call and when their bunk is called and they get to walk up and get their letter, it’s like Christmas for many of them. Due to the atmosphere in which they are confined, however, many inmates adopt a “hustling” lifestyle. Often looking for a way to gain something."

And A Guard
"First let me start off w/ my credentials; yes, anyone can type this but for me it's actually true: 14 yrs Law Enforcement w/ 7 of those years in Corrections.

Writing an inmate isn't dangerous as long as you keep in mind that you are writing an inmate. They literally have all day to write the perfect letter. They tell you everything you want to hear. They will consult other inmates on what to say and how to phrase things; some have asked guards to proofread the letter. Sometimes other inmates will write the letter for them.

Also, keep in mind that you aren't the only one writing them. I've seen some inmates get 5-8 letters a nite and yes, it's very public who gets letters. It's kind of a status symbol.

I'm not going to say that every one of them is a scan artist, but many are. The guy with 5-8 letters, guess what? All those girls are also sending him money also. Remember, you won't be "the only one."

Any kind hearted person who decides to do this SHOULD use a PO box.

I think that is a super GREAT idea. People marginalized for
thier beliefs is so rampant- yet under sited. Glammer issues
garner attention !!! Society would never take a HARD look
in the mirror-if left to it's own devices.
Thanx

That has got to be an incredibly tough situation.

The worst part is that there are no throw away humans. Most people in prison learned their behavior from this very sick society. Most were ruined by their parents, if they had any. The rest are mentally ill, desparate for something that could be free if there was not so much waste, or shouldn't even be there.

Then the very people who claim they can keep us safe, can't even keep drugs, violence, weapons, corruption, out of the prisons they control.

We can do better.

SCal Level 7 Nov 25, 2019

I’m glad that someone recognises the proportion of people that are in prison due to circumstances and risk factors in society.

Mental health in the criminal justice system and especially juvenile justice system is one of my main studies and yes, we can do better.

Since the late 90’s though we seem to be wandering back to the dark days of retribution instead of rehabilitation and consequently recidivism is not reducing.

Let’s hope we can start to understand what people experience from the policy making department again.

My apologies for my lack of understanding, but why?

You know,, I totally get where you're coming from, and agree for the most part.. I guess if I were an atheist in prison, I wouldn't mind getting something in the mail from someone that related to me in some way though.. The time of year alone brings on a sense of togetherness that is usually geared toward those that are believers, and being left out,, once again, would be really depressing.. I can just imagine being in prison for some stupid shit like getting caught selling some pot and being fucked with for being an Atheist would be bad enough, but to witness everyone else getting some kick out of the 'Holiday' while I sit there not getting any love at all just for being a non believer would really suck. So I can see how getting a sarcastic "Happy Festivus" card would bring a little joy to someone, and I'm all for trying to make someone happy. Maybe that helps you understand what they're trying to do here. I think I just may send some 'Happy Festivus' cards out to some folks in the slammer this year, because I can, and it may make someone feel good. 😉👌

Possibly because there are a lot of well meaning Christians going into the prison system and offering their support. so non religious people miss out if they cannot accept the religion with the support?

How about educating/ instead of profiting a broke system
that is getting worse !!!

Thanks

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 25, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:431296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.