Agnostic.com

60 16

Could you consider someone a real friend, if you've never met them in person?

Have you ever had a long-distance friendship? If so, did it last long? Can someone really be a "friend" if you've never really met them?

silvereyes 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely! One of my best friends I met online . We knew eachother from playing video games about 10 years ago, and have chatted and been friends for a long time. Finally went down to Nevada to meet in person and we had a very drunken good time. So definitely can!

Absolutely. I've got one that's going on 9 years. We've talked on the phone, skyped, and mailed each other things countless times.

I have a number of "friends" I met online on a social platform built around wordplay. Though I seldom login on that platform, I have remained connected with the friends I made there, and look forward to meeting some of them IRL.

Of course. It's all about trusting yourself and your ability to assess others.

Yes, with some limitations. The communication part is pretty easy with messaging, video chats and phone calls. But it's hard to meet for dinner or a beer and a good talk (visual cues and environment can be pretty important). For me it is likely to be a deeper friendship if I can at least see the friend in person from time to time.

It's easier for me to talk with people on the internet than in real life. I don't read body language or facial expression well because I'm Autistic. If I'm communicating in text, I "just" have to be careful about people misunderstanding the intent behind my words.

Additionally, it's easier for a lot of people with disabilities and chronic illnesses to interact online.

Yes. I have friends that I have met through work and on-line that are friends (some men, some women) that I have never met face-to-face. Some of these people I have spoken with over the phone. One lady has been a good friend for the past 30 years.

Why not?

If you and that person enhoy the dialog, if they have been helpful and loyal to you in difficult situations -- even from a distance -- then they are friends.

Absolutely! I actually know several people whom I've only ever met via the internet. We've Skyped but never shaken hands before. Still, we've spoke enugh and kept close enough communication that I totally consider them friends. I can't speak for them. Maybe they feel differently, but I'd like to think they feel the same.

I currently have three close friends who are from the USA. I've never met them in the flesh, but we talk every day and we know far too much about each other.

Yes, my best friend became my best friend long before we met in person. We met playing EverQuest together. I miss him dearly; he died what he loved doing; hiking.

Yup. I made many long term friends from playing an online game. Most I never met in person. Some, I did.

SamL Level 7 Mar 28, 2018

A friend of mine e-introduce to his friend whom he believes shares same interest with me. We (me and the guy I got introduced to) have been talking for three years via phone calls, text, chats, without actually meeting in person. We have done many deals that involve huge sum of money. I could trust him with the last money I have. Actually, I met him in person for the first time less than two weeks ago, when I went on crazy trips across the country and stopped by his house for a night. So, yeah, you can have real friends you've never met in person before.

obis Level 6 Mar 26, 2018

Sure. There is a group of women I've known for 15 years now, whom I met on a website. I've met a few of them, but not all of them, and they are absolutely my friends. They've been with me through everything.

It depends on your definition of a friend.....I happen to define friend as someone who supports,encourages and inspires me ..
So online friend for me is a real friend .

Oh absolutely! I have many real friends that I doubt I will ever meet in person.

I would say yes absolutely, there's skype, talking and texting. There are ways of actual communication.

People aren't always what they seem (on-line). Maybe I've seen too many ID shows. Chances are, your friend is the real deal, but then there's always that tiny percent.

For everydaypeople, that's hard to say. If you met someone like Steven Hawking in person, wouldn't that be like meeting him online? Responses would be delayed, etc. Distance doesn't have to be a roadblock to friendship. And who is to say you won't meet in person someday? For politicans, fuck no. They should be near enough to strangle at any given point in time.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

Oh absolutely! I have many real friends that I doubt I will ever meet in person.

yes, I have friends taht I wll never meet, at times I have finally met some I thought I never would.. Still friends.

I don't think it's impossible to be a friend with someone you've never met in real life. Here's a philosophical way of looking at it. All one ever knows about another person is through their senses. Everything we have ever experienced in life is really just a simulation in our heads of the real world outside. So have we truly ever met anyone in real life or is it just data?

My point is this: there's no fundamental difference between being friends with someone online and being friends with someone in real life. Because in either case it's all in our head.

Not that I would deject them, a lot can be seen with the words a person chooses. However, there are semantic cues put off by a person that would inherently on a subconscious level, that would tell you if you wanted to trust that person. Body language to be simpler.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.