Agnostic.com

60 16

Could you consider someone a real friend, if you've never met them in person?

Have you ever had a long-distance friendship? If so, did it last long? Can someone really be a "friend" if you've never really met them?

silvereyes 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (51 - 60)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have lots. I don't see why it would be less real. I still care way too much.

Yes you can. It takes a connection and effort on both ends to stay in communication and reach out. This helps if either party is not too busy with work and/or kids and has time for this. My best friend lives in the USA, we have visited one another over the years. But our friendship remains long distance. I think even if we had never met, he'd still be my best friend because he has all the great values and the similar positive traits I have, that I look for in people. I have found it is harder to remain close friends with people that are struggling with health or mental health issues or with people that have a poor work-life balance, aka they work so much that they barely have down time and are too exhausted to engage with others.

I am sorry to hear that you lost your friend .

That depends on your definition of friendship and your and their expectations. But it is really a question only you can answer. If you have the feeling and you are not packing too many expectations as to the reciprocity of these friendships.

There are different types/levels of friends, 'real' is a term one must decide on an individual basis imo.

This electronic interaction is new for me so I can't say yet.

It would be difficult. While the ability to communicate and tell people about yourself would create some from of intamency (assuming all parties are being honest about themselves) there has to be a certain lack of trust when compared to a freind that you can look at, listen too, interact with in real world enviroments. People can control too much of themselves when you are not with them in the real world.

NO!

Sure, people can be friends despite having never met - I’ve had a few long distance / internet based friendships over the years that were enjoyable and that didn’t end dramatically. I think the rub lies with people who try to make more of it than what it is - when they try to make something platonic romantic. Guess the same could be said for “real life” situations as well.

JMA88 Level 2 Mar 25, 2018

I think you got to meet really more so than a lover/partner

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.