Agnostic.com

13 2

Are There Any Non Believer Humanitarian Activities?

Food Distribution, Medical Care Internationally is a major part of many Religious Organizations. Are their any NB groups or organizations involved similarly?

alon 6 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In San Diego there is a group called Sunday Assembly. They regularly feed the homeless.

Heifer International has no religious overlay, has the highest ratio of money into deeds vs. "overhead" and it is really fun to browse the myriad animals/bees/seeds you can choose to send! And not too much begging for support.
Smile Train (volunteer doctors go worldwide to fix cleft palates) is another i support...so laid-back they seldom send out literature!

Jerkin' off!

Rotary is overall non religious, some clubs say grace, it’s up to the individual club. They do some great work and charge no admin fees for doing it; as they are totally volunteer run.

Most of them are secular non religious in nature.

I have a friend that runs a pagan food pantry in Richmond, Va. Yes, it's sorta of religious (being pagan), but they require nothing. They don't ask for a reason why you're there, they just want to help.

At the moment it's the only charity I give money to. At least I know she's trustworthy and does what she says she will do.

I'll a little local promoting here, out in the local area of the presently VERY arid Outback of Australia, we have a little group of retired, Atheist Aussies who put their minds and skills together, invented, built and have patented, at their own expense btw, a new device for drilling bore-holes for water.
It costs less to run and operate,etc, than a conventional drilling rig, is far more mobile, uses only the water it carries around with it and can drill through very hard rock layers down to a present depth of 310 metres in approx. 4 to 6 hours.
They call themselves " The Bush Bores, " a kind of pun/joke, they charge little or nothing for their services except coverage of the costs of diesel fuels and so far, unpublished, have drilled an approx. total 47 successful Bore-holes within a 600+ kilometre radius of their 'home-base.'

Congrats!!! Outstanding!!

@alon Thank you, I'll pass your kind congratulations on to the Bush Borers Crew next time I'm speaking to them.

I did a search and found quite a few, so my question has been answered.

alon Level 6 Nov 27, 2019

The answer is yes. And there are many.

You may want to contact the Unitarian Universalists [en.wikipedia.org] nearest you. They are a good place for agnostics and atheists to fellowship and do humanitarian activities together.

What about the 'White Helmets' in Syria?

Funded partly by the UK but allied to the rebel groups fighting the Govt forces.Not the humanitarian force they claimed to be.

Why should it matter or be separate?

@alon

Another unanswerable question. Look it up.

It's quicker to let others look it up and respond.

@alon

Lazy pants.

@alon You sound like a lot of my facebook friends (and my sister). They post some ridiculous meme that is very obviously false, and expect me to spend five seconds to research it and post why it's false (not my words, theirs).

Most every question can be answered in a 5-10 second search. This was found in less than 5 seconds: [freethoughtpedia.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:431925
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.