Agnostic.com

14 2

Is it me or does it seem some religious people are obsessed with death?

It just seems like many I've met have this obsessive fascination with dying. It is almost as if thy live only to look forward to die, which I understand that happens to everyone. It just seems they have an unhealthy obsession with wanting to die to go to this place thy can't be so sure even exist and it really breaks my heart someone with have that kind of mentallity . It's kind of like just live the life you have here while you are currently alive now and make your life have meaning here. I understand that life is complicated, which it is, but there is also another beautiful side to life when considering being alive. What does anybody else think?

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have noticed this. I have also noticed they are obsessed with the devil. When people try to label me to comfort their inability to approach or relate to me, they usually do so by trying to guilt me. I typically respond with, "you are the one who is always talking about the devil; I think you may be closer to the devil than your god." Usually shuts them up or they "disown me" entirely. Either way, win/win.

Death is just Nature's way of saying you've got to slow down.

I have heard Christianity described as a death cult, and I agree. Most followers are so concerned about the "riches in heaven" that they forsake happiness in things on Earth. Personally, I find that pretty sad.

Might be true. As for me, the older I get, the less I fear death, though I certainly don't look forward to being dead. Somebody was talking to me about how she "lives for the moment," even though she's a theist. I guess that I do, too, but I don't feel like I have to do risky things just so I won't regret not having done enough risky things when I'm dying.

No, it's not just you, Emerald. Many of them are so caught up in this end times crap that they are looking forward to the rapture in their lifetime -- like right now. Many others are terrified of dying because they're not so sure they're going to move to the upstairs room and they'll wind up swimming in the Lake of Fire. Still others are afraid of dying because they're not so sure of their beliefs. There are other approaches too, but the fact is that a large percentage of them are in one way or another focusing on the death issue. It is ... disturbing.

Ugh I've had to hear about the end times crap it's ridiculous. I can't believe people are that convinced. It's almost insane to think Jesus is going to return any time soon when the rapture was supposed to happen so many times before.

Yes: it terrifies them. Instead of understanding death as a natural part of life and something we need to make peace with, they fight it and deny it and pretend there is an afterlife. It's tragic, really.

I couldn't agree more!!! I also feel that religion to a degree has kind of robbed humanity of being able to accept that death is a natural part of life.

It is not surprising that religious "true believers" are obsessed with death. They believe in eternal life and both heaven and hell. Death is the dividing line, and most true believers fear that there is a chance that they will be going to hell instead of heaven.

Almost all religions dating back through history have been obsessed with death. Whether it was the Egyptians preparing for death or the Incas sacrificing to promote tribal health, death seems to be the next step in life.

That , and they also seem to be preoccupied in trying to contr ol the lives of others..

Those believing in an afterlife are obsessed with death. Imagine wasting the time one has on this earth for something unknown. Heard from my religious neighbor that now heaven has seven levels. Wha? ? ? ? ?

The notion of 7 heavens and 7 hell comes from the Divine Comedia iirc, inspired from Greek mythology, where Dante travels through hell, purgatory and then heaven.

Not obsessed with death, obsessed with their heaven.

I've definitely seen this. They even look forward to the return of jeebus so they can join him as soon as possible.

Here's some copy pasta:

Jesus Will Come Again
The Bible presents God's work of redemption as an ongoing process. Throughout the Old Testament, He leads His chosen people toward truth and righteousness. The final phase of the process of redemption began with the first coming of Jesus and will culminate in the events surrounding His Second Coming. There will be a final judgment of all people, living and dead. The faithful will receive new spiritual bodies for eternal life; the wicked will be cast into hell. There will be a final defeat and destruction of all evil -- Satan, sin, suffering and death. The kingdom of God will come to its fulfillment at last.

Yea right.

Some religions are absolute death cults. The promise of eternal Paradise is a fetish, and some theists merely endure this life only because they believe it's mandated by their God as a requirement for everlasting life.

Remember the sect known as the Order of the Solar Temple? They actually went into their temple, closed the doors and then put it on fire, killing pretty much all their members (and, unfortunately, many of their children). At least there's no chance of the cult growing again.

They all think they're going to heaven. Believing in god should qualify as a mental illness. IMO. They all share the god delusion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4346
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.