Agnostic.com

9 0

I've discovered something about people and it is quite confusing to me. Many people may be incredibly intelligent in one specific area, for example: maybe this is a man who broke world records for weight lifting, yet they still believe in God (CT FLETCHER) (daddy beat him up to make sure). Another example: Ben Carson, able to do brain surgery (yet he thinks black people came from Africa looking for a better future for their children, when they were forced here). I've seen people incredibly successful in their lives, making 450 million net worth, yet believe in Jesus Christ (Janice Bryant Howroyd). So, there are also many atheists who are not very successful in life. So, the question is: if we as atheists are "smarter", then why do some people who are religious seem to have more success in their life? Success would be defined as being wealthy, having a family, being physically fit, and able to achieve the goals that they set for themselves.

jwm03h 6 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it is true that lot of time devoted to a particular vocation distracts from being a more well rounded individual.
Success is a personal goal. defined by each individual.
Success is related more to opportunity/positioning and social network than to any particular belief system or lack thereof.
lip service faith is often a veneer.
smarter does not mean less gullible or measure the tendency to go with the social crowd

mzee Level 7 Nov 20, 2017

Success, value, intelligence and goals are not necessarily related

Ben Carson: any black man that would suck up to the likes of Trump, is worse than a white person doing it, because he should know better- especially if he is educated- he is a neuro surgeon (supposedly). Apparently he suffers from profound stupidity.

"Success", to me, would be knowing what this trip is about. Certainly this experience is not "just"; it is not a level playing field. But maybe this is just a test for the 'next adventure'---- if Nature has provided one. Maybe in the next session a person's wealth would all be in coin in a bag, and like Sisyphus with his boulder, they would have to endlessly have to push/pull it up a mountain.

Different people have different aptitudes and inclinations. Natural selection acts on variation, after all, and with 100 billion synapses each, there's bound to be a lot of variation in the brain. I have a fairly high IQ, but I can't drive very well. Guess I'm not that smart after all!

I don’t think of it as smarter, I think of it as more logical. The amount of knowledge one possesses, is not dependent on the ability to use said knowledge.

There are many kinds of intelligence. There is formal, adaptive, creative, social, musical, intuitive, environmental, and the list goes on.

Most people excel in one to four with a few exceptions. They are mediocre in most and uneducated in the rest.

Most people were brought up with religion. Go to any small town and count the churches, then imagine how many in big cities. Churches provide a function to the community they serve. Rummage sales, senior suppers, potluck suppers, Bingo, and a host of other activities.
Many businesses are involved in church activities such as charities and fundraising which are beneficial to the businesses. Networking is important in business.

As for Atheists and Agnostics being smart...We made a choice, we had questions that could not be answered and we chose to let religion go. That is one aspect of our lives and for us a smart move but does that make us smarter than anyone else? Not that alone.

Betty Level 8 Nov 20, 2017

@jwm03h When a business gets involved with a church-based charity, they do so for the tax receipt. Big business creates foundations and then involve themselves with church-based charities which allow the foundation board to pay themselves.

You ask what stops us? Money, and lots of it.

I think you're mistaking intellect as the only factor in success. There are successful people from all walks of life, and even though a high IQ and a good education certainly helps, that's not the be all in determining wealth, family, etc. Social skills, communication, perseverance, and myriad other traits all factor into how successful we are. And a degree of luck is involved, too.

And don't underestimate the power of community to make success easier for people. Churches are communities; they are social networks that people can tap and leverage for business and support.

Even people who are very bright can delude themselves. Happens every day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4359
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.