Agnostic.com

16 6

Agnostic vs. Atheist?

I have an honest question that I have wondered about on occasion for years. Christians say they know their is a God. Seems pretty silly to me..LOL..However how can Atheist say that they know their is no God? It doesn't matter to me a what others think but I have wondered about this. I decided many years ago that I was never going to know till I died, if then and I wasn't going to be dishonest about my beliefs with anyone for any reason. I live a really good life. I lucked out and got my head straightened out in my late twenties when I got into recovery from alcoholism and I'm about as happy a camper as one can be.

Freespirtflash 3 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not believe in a here after and have donated my body for scientific research.My ashes are to be spread in nature and that suits me just fine. Perhaps my ashes will promote some new life and that will be great.

I am an atheist because I do not believe in the God that most theists believe in which is a loving good entity that we should give thanks to and pray to .I believe there may have been a creator that created some level of the known universe but may have ceased to exist. If there is a creator why should I give thanks to it or pray to it ,so I would not put any labels on it.So maybe I am a cross between a atheist and an agnostic

Well, sir, that always appears to be a problem on the surface, but it becomes quite simple once one understands the actual meaning of the word, 'atheist'. When an atheist makes the statement that there is/are no god/gods, they are making a claim, just as the religious make a claim. There is a god. There is no god. When an atheist makes that claim, he/she has taken on the burden of proof. Unfortunately, there is no proof available for either side.

About the actual meaning of the word, 'atheist'. It really just means that one does not accept the god concept. They ... don't ... believe ... in ... god(s). He or she is then not making a claim, just stating a condition of being. If pressed for explanation and they feel it worth responding, they can say that because there is no compelling evidence for a deity they are not obligated to believe there is one.

Now, the 'I don't know if there is or isn't' line is fence-riding, but the 'there's no compelling evidence, so I don't believe' line is declarative without compromising. Of course there is a possibility that there is one, but that possibility is so low as to be reasonably considered nil, thus justifying the lack of belief.

I am quite comfortable with the word 'atheist' because of all this, but the word 'agnostic' bothers me a bit. I don't mind people using it (after all, it is true as well), but it just seems so wishy-washy and uncertain that I avoid it.

I am: Atheist. Evidentialist. Rationalist. Humanist to a degree. That all works well for me. Agnostic does not.

There is no God

You, of course, have irrefutable evidence to support this claim. I would love to see it, please.

Like many others have mentioned already, Atheists don't say that they know a god does not exist. All we say is that we are not convinced that there is one or more gods.

There are gods

We can say it with 99 percent certainty. However, as the rule goes, you can't prove a negative. If you think there's a little green man in the room, how can we definitively prove that little green man doesn't exist? It's a conundrum.

I can say I know there is no god in the same way I can say there is no Santa, no tooth fairy, no elves, no dragons, no Gandalf, etc. If you can say you know any of those, and any other obviously invented character, aren't real, then you can say it about any gods.

You could assert that there is a teapot orbiting the Sun and there is no currently available means of disproving it. Should I be agnostic in my belief of its existence? Technically, in the most pedantic sense I would be, but I would be wise to live my life as though this teapot does not exist and not waste my resources on it. So it is with the possible existence of a god singular or a host of them. As far as I am concerned, they might as well reside in that teapot.

I cannot even conceive of a universe that required the existence of gods there is only evidence based knowledge that we either know or will come to know at some time in the future.

As Atheist so eloquently stated: Absence of evidence, IS evidence of absence.
Absence of evidence where evidence should be, IS evidence of absence.

I'm agnostic because I don't think there is any way of knowing if there is some sort of higher power or after life that exists. I don't believe any of the current religions are correct (or at least I hope not, not a big fan of God myself) and I just, don't think we could ever prove it for sure either way. Just my opinion though.

I like Michael Gilbert's comment that there is not necessarily much difference between the two labels. I use and answer to both, though I admit a preference for Agnostic. I am an Atheist, because I see no credible evidence for believing in God and therefore don't believe. (I define God in this sense as a unified consciousness behind the force(s) running the cosmos.) I am an Agnostic because I realize in a global sense the existanse or non-existance of something so intangible as God is ultimately probably unprovable, and it is therefore a waste of effort trying to disprove it and is probably good to be honest enough to acknowedge that reality. I agree with the Neil DeGrasse Tyson school of Agnosticism. ????

I identified as agnostic for years for this very reason, I thought it was just as presumptuous to say that there is no god, as to say that there is. But I do now identify as atheist, because I don't believe in any of the man-made religions, or the gods that they have created. I do readily admit that I don't know what might be out there in the universe, it is a big place, and there could very well be some higher form of life. But if there is, I feel fairly certain that it doesn't have anything to do with all the ridiculous fairy tales, superstitions, and religious nonsense that humans have invented.

I am not sure that after death anything will be known. Is there an after life at all with or without a God.

Personally I consider myself agnostic because I am not sure about whether there is a God or not. But I do not believe in the religious books. If there is a God that passed on his word in these books I am not going to be worshiping it. I have not found one religious book that feels like it wasn't written by humans.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 2, 2017

I am not familiar with AGNOSTIC or ATHEIST. I have studied GNOSIS "Secret Knowledge" which teaches that there are many GODS...that which is capable of giving life, sustaining life and taking life is worthy of being called a GOD. I have come to believe every living creature is a result of that which is capable of giving life, sustaining life and taking life be it them "THE ELEMENTS of NATURE". Horus the "SUN" evidenced by the Doves, Sut the "MOON" evidenced by the Stars, Seb the "GREAT MOTHER EARTH" evidenced by Food and Renewal, Num the "WATER" evidenced by the fish, Khabsenuf the "FIRE" evidenced by the Flames, Shu the "WIND" evidenced by the panting lion and the "BLOOD" evidenced by the flesh. That which is not created by man, yet evidenced in our everyday life. It is only when "NATURE" rises up against mankind that they will call upon "her" by name. "Her" the nourisher.I

what about ISIS ?

I view Agnostics as people who have taken the stance of "I have no evidence of a god or spirituality/supernatural things, but I don't have evidence that they don't exist so I just say I don't know". Atheists on the other hand fall back on more of the scientific method default position of saying that God or Gods don't exist until we have some kind of observable evidence of their existence. Atheists can answer questions posed to them by Theists by saying "I don't know" without being considered Agnostic because they still lean towards the idea that God does not exist while as Agnostics are more of the mind of maybe they exist, maybe they don't. It's not a huge difference because any true Atheist would immediately no longer be an Atheist as soon as you could provide credible evidence for a God.

We do have some kind of observable evidence...The "SUN" beats upon the breast of the "GREAT MOTHER EARTH" alone with "WATER" thus providing mankind with FOOD and RENEWAL while quenching the body's thirst The "MOON" bring darkens upon the "EARTH" that man should rest his mind/body while the beast of the field hunts for prey. Then there is the "FIRE" which provides warmth from the cold/freezing nights, "The WIND" being that first and last breath taken by mankind and last but not least is the "BLOOD" known as the life force, loose too much and see what happens, contaminate the "BLOOD" and see what happens. What more observable evidence do we need... A tornado "WIND", a flood "WATER", "EARTH'quake, a hurricane "WATER/WIND', a forest
'FIRE", 99/100 degree heat wave "SUN" maybe eternal darkness "MOON" or a dreaded "BLOOD" disease.....Again only when 'NATURE" rise up against mankind will we both recognize and call her by name "OH MY GOD".

First of all, Atheist. I don't believe in god because of insufficient evidence. I consider myself an Atheist. The only thing absence of evidence proves is that there is an absence of evidence. Absence of evidence is not evidence that something does not exist, nor should it ever be considered as evidence to the power of the thing in question. At one point in time we did not have evidence for evolution, but now there are things we can observe to give it credibility. Did that mean that at one point evolution did not exist because there was a lack of evidence at the time and then it suddenly popped into existence? No. It was always there, we just didn't know how to observe the evidence for it until fairly recently in human history. I'm not giving the argument "evolution exists therefore god" I'm giving you an example of something to get you to rethink your stance that absence of evidence is proof that something does not exist.

Lewania, the only thing I'm seeing from your post is that you are taking examples from the natural world that have natural explanations and giving them the identity that they are somehow of some kind of deity status. If you want to pray to the natural world and see it as having some kind of mythic power or consciousness I'm not going to stop you. Looking at a tree however and calling it a god does not make it a god by any definition I've heard of so far. The only thing you've done with observable evidence is dress it up in mythic language. Doing so does not give it any special power than it already had through natural law

Well, I see that as the problem as to what people think atheists believe. The definition is "lack of belief in god(s)". It's not saying that an atheist makes a claim that there is no god(s), only that they lack belief in any. I look at it as them denying a fundamentalists claim that a god does exist. Making the claim that a god(s) doesn't exists always leads to the, "Well, PROVE He doesn't exist", and I know we've all been down that alley. As we all know, the scientific method must first prove a god exists before we can disprove gods exist. Can't prove a negative because lack of source and evidence.

As far as atheist vs. agnostic, I always say we all play in the same ballpark when it comes to our view on religion, we just play different positions in our personal beliefs. No reason we shouldn't all get along, as we do share a common core, but I have run into the militant atheist that have called me all kinds of names for being agnostic. I feel it's a childish approach, considering agnostics are actually an atheists best ally. When we start to divide each other that way, we're no better than the thousands of denominations of religions - each thinking they're the chosen ones and all else are wrong. Agnostics and atheists should be above that nonsense and quit worrying about the position you play on the field.

Just my two cents. 😉

Thanks Tim. Your 2 cents was worth $10 to me. I don't get to wrapped up in it all. One pet peeve I have is with some people in AA. I've been sober real close to 35 years now. Lotta people in AA are real bile thumpers. Whatever works for them is great but I get a slight attitude when some when speaking say they don't know/think people can stay sober without a higher power. I'm clear evidence to the contrary....LOL..Their is a small Agnostic/Atheist AA group in the area here. Alan

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.