Agnostic.com

18 3

How good of a consumer are you? Do you buy all the gadjets, electronics, clothing etc. that we're bombarded with now?

Do you control your impulse spending?

atheist 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not really, I'm more of a necessities guy. I buy just what I need. When I need I try to get what I want though. The cooler the better. ?

I control my spending

I live what could almost be considered a monastic lifestyle. A dumb phone, a DVD player, and a few guitars are my extravagances.

Of course, there is a distinct lack of holy objects here. 🙂

I'm terrible at keeping up with the Joneses. I shop for material items as infrequently as possible. Most of my (very limited) expendable income goes towards vacation, fun activities, or dining out.

@atheist Agreed!

I get the ones that seem useful

yes it sure is

Hardly a consumer, don't get mass media, don't get advertising, rarely shop.

I can barely afford to eat these days

I buy only what I need. I ignore 99.0 of all advertising.

@atheist Ues, but I shift my attention to other things during commercials.

I watch very little network television and listen to almost no commercial radio programming so I am not so bombarded with product ads. My buying choices are based on needs and wants and the wants are not really influenced by advertising. With that said, I don't have anything against advertising in-general. This part of how business works. Ethical advertising is another discussion.

@atheist Sure. We loved Amazon. Yes we does.

I'm a terrible non-consumer - but a happily frugal one ! Not because I have to, just because I like it.
I abhor waste, and useless spending.
By choice, I get most of my clothes from thrift shops. Never follwed "styles".
I take good care of stuff, and use things till they have nothing left to give (I'll always try and repair something if I can), and have had many gadgets and household items for well over 30yrs.
My computer is old, and my stereo even older - way older.
Some of my very favorite things I've obtained at yard sales, or by dumpster diving, or curbside recycle.
I've never wanted a new vehicle - I prefer to let the first buyer take the depreciation hit.
I cook yummy, simple, affordable meals, and rarely eat out. I prefer knowing what's in my food.
If I truly need something, I'll shop around for sales and the best price before buying.
I easily say "no" to any saleperson - no matter how slick they are.

On the other side of all this, if there's something I really burn for - a different vehicle, a trip , whatever - the money is there, and I'll go for it without guilt !

I suck as a consumer cause I buy by what I like not by what they’re selling.

I'm a terrible consumer. The only electronic device you'll ever see me carrying is an mp3 player. I've never even had a cell phone.

no and I have a flip phone

I also, flip phone, I feel a smart phone would just be another electronic device to mess with head...lol

@buzz13 yeah I use my phone to make and receive phone calls

If it works, why replace it?

Poor. My iPhone4S is just a bit over 5 years old. I make sure my jeans and shirts are bought from shops that don't use child labour in Asia. I don't get my groceries from the duopolies of Coles or Woolworths. Instead, I go to IGA (Independent Grocers of AUS). Even my computer is 5 years old - which surprises everyone because I use it for work and play.

No one is getting rich off me. I'm a terrible consumer.
The only place I tend to be somewhat "impulsive" is the grocery store.

Oh heck no! My smartphone is three years old, I still have a CD player, and my car is 13 years old and still runs great.

Not since retiring. If I don't need something I don't buy it. I was a shopoholic and my closet is overstuffed and I have too much stuff. Time for spring cleaning.

My 50 inch projection tv has got to be close to 15 years old and still works.

My daughter's boyfriend found a red bulb for it at the dump when we lost color. Ingenuity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43790
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.