Agnostic.com

5 1

Does this seem racist?

Current anthropology and biology have proven (through DNA and dating) that the migration of all hominids that became "man" happened in waves. That is the current "homo sapien" is an amalgam of a few different hominids that migrated away from Africa in waves (with one exception). This is why we have such a wide variant of differences biologically between different cultures. We have DNA from homo sapien, homo neandertal, homo denisovan, and a few other hominids we have yet to identify.

The lone exception to this rule lies with a base core of Africans. They actually exhibit DNA free from the denisovan neandertal et al inclusions. This is because in Africa they outsurvived those hominids who became the rest of us. It's fact. White supremacists hate it when you point this out by the way. Africans are the only "pure" race on this planet.

It's not ALL Africans though. Mainly just those from southern Africa where Homo Sapien outfought and outlasted at least 5 other hominids who all coexisted at some point. From DNA and taxonomy they are the only pure homo sapiens on planet earth. The rest of us are mutts. This is also fact.

Here comes the interesting and potentially racist issue ... would the rest of us even be here without society? Homo sapiens kicked the ass of every other hominid group ether directly, indirectly or genetically and one would have to think absent intervening factors such would continue unabated until only homo sapien remained. That's simple biology. and Darwin. So the further back you pull you see the population homogenizing and those traits dominant from the Africans dominating statistically until the minor differences are gone.

But that's in NATURE. We have society to balance out the differences and our brains to compensate. I think we still eventually homogenize and the superior variant will take over - but without society we'd be toast. And if you look at our cultures now you see the dominance of those of original African descent. While their numbers overall are a minority, they dominate biologically and in many aesthetic categories. I think my days as a short, fat white guy clouding the gene pool would fade out quickly faced with superior genetics. You may prevail in one or two generations ... but eventually the stats and nature take over.

So is this racist? Accurate?

JeffMesser 8 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

...can’t say.. as it simply struck me as too much to read..

Varn Level 8 Dec 15, 2019

I don't see a racist connection to the content, but I do disagree with a couple of your assumptions. I agree that those peoples living today in what is currently considered to be the origin spot have not had their genetic line smoothed out by diversity to the same extent as others, but that does not indicate genetic superiority. Purity to some degree, perhaps, but genetic purity has negative connotations in a general sense. I find this notion doubtful though when we know that deep time has passed and that the more likely thing is that the gene pool has gone through considerable evening out throughout Africa and no 100% direct lineage exists anywhere in the world. According to my genetic tests, I am supposedly 100% white European -- but that's recent. We all came out of Africa and there ain't no such thing as 100% anything.

I also think that your assumption about kicking ass is a highly unlikely scenario. I find it doubtful that major migrations were spurred by folks running from some bully.

I don’t know about some of us being mutts. I thought there was supposed to be a continuous churning and selection of genetic traits through evolution. Particular traits are only superior relative to particular environments. Being able to survive and reproduce in a complex society is a valuable characteristic in today’s world and the only basis for fitness is survivability and reproduction.

What you are saying is sort of racist, but not in the commonly accepted sense of the word. It’s a good post.

I can’t think of a better way to judge basic human genetic fitness than through athletics. Athletic sports require strength, energy, agility, teamwork and intelligence. Look at about any major sports team in this country and what do you see?

I am racist in the same sense that you are, but I differ in that I think new genetic variations will emerge gradually and that whatever their genetic makeup, populations of the future will be strong, intelligent and beautiful. You suggest that a pure-blooded primal group will eventually dominate, but I don’t think nature works that way.

Think of the many, many varieties of pecan trees. Do you think that someday all those varieties will revert back to the original wild nut tree that was selected for domestication? Why stop there? There were even earlier types even more “pure”.

those are good points. I will have to think about that.

That is a common misunderstanding of Darwinian sellection. Darwinian genetic fitness in todays world is not winning a sporting trophy, but being a fat slow couple who are able to withstand a high fat low fibre diet, live on little exercise, and make lots of babies. Darwinian fitness, means not fit in the physical sense, but, 'best fitted'. ( Someone once joked, not to be taken too seriously, that. "Being stupid enough to not understand how to use contraception, will be the main qualification required for membership of the future master race." )

@Fernapple I get your point, however there are some basic requirements for functioning as a human animal. Long-term it seems to me that a group with strength, agility, intelligence and courage will prevail over those who are weak, sickly and slow-witted.

Those with Black African ancestry seem to be superior.

@WilliamFleming Maybe not. Plenty of animal have gone down the route of total dependency, many parasites for example have lots all ability to function outside their host and without its support, exchanging freedom for rapid easy reproduction. And as we become ever more dependent on our technology it will come on faster to us too. Agriculture alone certainly changed human evolution, until ten thousand years or so ago, human brains had been increasing in size, but during the last ten thousand they have started to shrink.

Perhaps to survive on a poor diet, brains are expensive, and a post agriculture diet, while more reliable is not as rich as a hunter gatherer diet, and also perhaps because we no longer need them to compete with many other species on the plains of Africa. And as we become ever more dependent on machines, we will no longer need such good social skills. While medicine takes away many of the dangers of aggression yet its benefits to the individual remain, so that we will probably become more aggressive and less social

We also have to take into account the new possibilities of genetic modification and engineering, which may only be available to the rich. Which will then deepen the rich poor divide, and perhaps in time create two human species.

PS. Jeffmesser. Is incorrect on one or two small points, especially that Africans are the most genetically 'pure' people. In fact genetic variation increases with time, and since humans have been living in Africa far longer than the rest of the world, variation has accumilated there. Meaning that Africans are the most genetically diverse group of peoples in the world. The rest of the worlds populations being only the decendents of a few who escaped from Africa, and despite inputs fromNeanderthals etc. are all very closely related, when compared to the vast differences betweeen Africans. But that can be seen as a strong point fro Africans, since genetic variation is a source of strength, preventing the effects of inbreeding, not 'racial' purity, that is an old outdated racist assumption.

Since evolution (change over time) doesn't stop "pure" is a kinda silly concept. What you have with humans are breed standards for appearance, basically, with small adaptations to climate/diet. A "pure" race would be one that is well adapted to it's environment, like populations that live at elevation, or in extreme heat or cold.

So a "pure" race in today's multi cultural society would be one of as much mixed heritage as possible.

1of5 Level 8 Dec 14, 2019

mmmmm, I don't agree. for taxonomy we do take a snapshot in time so pure has a meaning ... especially given that we have superarchaic DNA that other descendants of homo habilus don't share. I mean, you're asking to make a derivative for measurement which is precisely the concept some use to justify gravity in quantum space or I use to show consciousness exists. when you do have a measurable trait then for epistemology's sake you use it for classifying. those cultures you speak of are also fluid so any standards based on those would fall as well. that's why I point to a non-biased standard. but your point is taken. I actually encompassed that distinction with intelligence.

@JeffMesser except that a snapshot is just that - a single point disconnected from time. This is like the physicists joke where the punchline is "But it only works for a spherical chicken in a vaccumme". It only works for that particular instance in time, and we all know and need to acknowledge that. That our system is set as static is a major flaw in it, imo, and struggles with questions such as this.

To use a quantum example you can't know speed and location of a particle at the same time, the more precise one measurement the less the other. I think that's what you're running into here between genetics and sociology.

@1of5 time is not real. it is the lag between the big bang and its' ripple. some qualities are not individually available frame by frame but exist in the total. like a derivative.

Are you asking if the scienece of genetics, which by its very nature explores the diversity of humans, is racist because it explores the diversity of humans, by its very nature?

good point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:438276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.