Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK Viral Video Shows Cadets Flashing Alleged ‘White Power’ Symbol On Live Television During Army-Navy Game

Trump was there. There's no end to the ugliness he has unleashed/emboldened out of the closest. smh

SeaGreenEyez 9 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, in the UK if someone makes that symbol behind someone else's back it means
"What a wanker (jerk off)!"

However it is a simple fact of semiotics that any sign or symbol can mean anything if two or more people use it in a common frame of reference.

For instance the "cornuta" or devil horn hand signal can mean
Metal (music)
Ward off the evil eye (in Europe)
I love you (in American sign language)
Illuminate member (Medieval Italy)
The sign of the Trinity ( in Ethiopian Coptic churches)
Satan (in The Church of Satan and Satanism)
and more

(This is with the thumb in, out or under the middle finger in all except ASL where the thumb must be out)

@SeaGreenEyez True but, it only has power because you give it that power. That was the point of my op. You see white power I see wanker, but all it actually is, is someone making a circle with their finger.
How people choose to see it is what makes it important, dangerous, foolish or MEANINGLESS.
The more you get outraged, the more power it has.

@SeaGreenEyez I AM SAYING NO SUCH THING!
I am saying that you don't give your enemies bullets to shoot at you. By accepting their definitions by recognising their symbology and reacting to it you are empowering them.
Fight racism on your terms not theirs.
We in europe made the same mistake in the run up to World war two, when Hitler co opted the Hakenkruis and renamed it the Swashsticker, he took a symbol that had for thousands of years been an heraldic and religious symbol of light in dozens of cultures and peace in Christianity and turned it into a symbol of evil and horror.
Instead of claiming it back, ridiculing him for his stupidity, the world instead turned on the symbol and banned it, making it a rallying point for the Nazis, it became their symbol of fear and power, that was a mistake.

It stops now get rid of trump who encourages this

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 15, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:438380
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.