Agnostic.com

73 6

I am curious what some of you think. I had a man approach me in the supermarket yesterday morning... to make a slightly boring story less boring I will get right to the point... he asked for my number and I gave it to him... after I agreed to meet for coffee next time he was in town, he "explained" to me that the only cell phone he had was owned by his employer and that when he called me it would show up as Restricted...Aaaannnddd he can't text on it. He didn't offer his number to me.

Am I being too skeptical when I say I think he may be married?

• 127 votes
  • 2 votes
Valarina61 4 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

73 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What circumstances possessed you to agree to give him your number? Seriously, next time he is in town. Really. Not a good idea!

Let's turn this around: Maybe he just watched "fatal attraction."

Given the craziness of today, I am more reticent to even have any conversation with strange women, for fear of being accused of harassment just for smiling, and saying, "Hello."

"What if she decides i am "the one," and will not stop calling...."

I am not giving my number to strange women who just coincidently are in some of the same places that i go. That's called "pre-stalking."

This is why i have disposable email addresses. I use each one for specific purposes.

JacarC Level 8 June 11, 2018

Ive have alot of companies cell phone they careless who calls you. They only care if you excess there data plan. Second red flag who in 2018 doesnt have sometype of phone. So im thinking girlfriend or wife.

He could get a Smartphone for $29.88 at any Walmart, no plan, no contracts, just pay for minutes used. Married for sure!
And stop giving out your number to strangers! strangers at least have coffee first so you can get a feel about them. Unless you like being stalked, ax-murdered, or?

@AnneWimsey That why i recommend women use per paid phone for dating.

Shady at best.

Married, or a Russian spy that works for Facebook.

Geez, it could even be worse than being just married...he could be up to something flat out criminal. Take care in whatever choice you make in the end.

This guy being married could be the least of your problems. He ran 3-4 red flags up the pole during your first conversation, the biggest one after all the excuses was not offering you his number after you gave him yours. Please proceed with caution and pay attention to your guts.

Sounds sketchy. Even if he's not married, he's clearly hiding something. Did you get his full name? I usually Google the hell out of people. I also check the MN court system to see what, if any, records he has. If there is anything it's usually just divorce or speeding tickets. BUT, I did find one guy had multiple assault charges. Another guy with a a OFP against him.....but sometimes it's good to find out their side of the story too. That guy had a crazy ex wife who called the police on him without merit. It's also good if they have Facebook so you can see if you have any mutual friends to ask if they're psycho or not.

I've had guys get pissed about that but hey, it's not like the olden days where friends set you up with someone they knew. I'm not going to just go out with some random stranger without finding out as much about them as I can first. I fully expect them to do the same with me.

warning Will Robinson.

I've had company phones in the past. If it was the only one I had, it was only because I had unrestricted access with it. Otherwise, I'd always keep 2 phones, or use one with dual SIM's. Dude is probably married. At the least, he's bad news.

Any guy who gives an excuse for why they can’t take part in something basic like giving a number means he has something to hide. Maybe they wait to see if you will act without doing anything suspicious yourself, but if he’s going off on an entire story about a lowly cell phone that is supposedly not even his... I mean marriage may seem a bit far fetched, but it’s definitely something.

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 27, 2018

He definitely is married. I once met a guy who gave me a lame excuse of why I shouldn't call or text him. I later found out he was married.

He's married.

Something seems out of place, most people with employer phones have their own too. Most plans now a days have unlimited calls & texts, so why would company care.

He's hitched.

Married

If you want to find out if someone is married, find out the county they are in and go to the Clerk of Courts and do a search under their name. See if you can find a marriage certificate. You may also have to do the same under the state. If they are married you can find out.

No idea if he's married or not.

I do have a company cell that is not to be used for texting outside of contacts in our enterprise contact list.
The idea is to prevent access to our phones from outside.

Sounds dodgy to me

Red flags all over the place. In this day and age there is no reason why he can't have a personal cellphone, even if it's a cheap prepaid job he gets at the dollar store. He's probably got one just like you in every town.

GwenC Level 7 Mar 26, 2018

Sketchy

Gozer Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

That’s weird. I’d probably stay far away!

Hidding something, I would avoid at all cost

I can't possibly say wether he is married or not. It does sound fishy but I was in the same situation. The only phone I had belonged to my employer and I also couldn't text. I was trying to save money wherever I could so I would use that as my personal phone. Don't judge someone so quickly. You don't know their situation. I would still be cautious though.

I used to pick up on women at supermarkets, I would stand in the cake isle and ask the woman how to bake a cake as it was my son's birthday. This let's her know I'm single and needs a woman's touch. Usually I waited for the one wearing spandex, they usually have an agenda anyway. It worked a couple of times. I am a trained chef, so maybe I lied a little. As for your specific situation, no man in this day and age doesn't have a personal smart phone so he's probably taken-bacon. If he really doesn't have a phone of his own then his sh#$ is weak.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43916
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.