Agnostic.com

42 6

What's your biggest fear or insecurity?

It could be a phobia or something you dread on a visceral level, but what is the one thing you're most afraid of? I think for me, it's the idea of being destitute without any way out of that hole.

resserts 8 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That Trump will be reelected in 2020.

MikeM Level 3 Mar 30, 2018

Heights. Not my greatest fear, but the one that affects me the most and the most dramatically.

For me it's the fear of being irrelevant for the rest of my life. The fear that nothing I do will ever amount to much.

I'm conflicted. Phobias and visceral fears aren't silly or fun. But, I'll play. I have two fears. First, that we are dead humans walking because of climate change. Second, I fear the US will become another Nazi state with a paranoid dictator in charge.

Perhaps not silly or fun, but somewhat random. I suppose it could have been filed under health & happiness? Dunno. I didn't really care about the category so much as the topic itself.

Being old, broke, and lonely.

Serious concerns, for sure. I'm quite introverted, which seems fine now, but I'm unsure what that will mean for me once I'm elderly, can't get around well, and have fewer and fewer outlets for occasional socialization.

Never finding the way I am suppose to help society.

I don't know that there's only one way. There are lots of ways to contribute. Do you do any volunteer work? Or advocate for any human rights causes? Or even just lend a helping hand when someone needs it?

@resserts - Helping hand I do a lot. Volunteering I have not. Human rights causes I should do.

@Nikonian I think it's entirely up to you how you contribute. In my case, my job takes up a lot of time and energy so I hadn't been too active in my community in recent years. But I decided I wouldn't ever have the time unless I made it a priority, so last fall I committed to training to be a volunteer mediator for the NYS unified court system. It's been a lot of work, and I'm still not certified with the state yet (three more co-mediations to go), but it's been a rewarding process and I expect to have many interesting cases in the coming months and years while helping people resolve their conflicts (e.g., magistrate cases, parental custody and visitation, child support).

ok well it is a fear & insecurity. I'm terrified of dying before my girl is safely set in life.

K I known I already commented, but I thought of another one that kinda goes along with the hospital thing. Since I was little, I've been afraid of becoming paralyzed. It seems like a random fear and everyone always told me its not likely 2 happen...I recently found out that I have had 2 broken bones in my neck for about the last 10 years. They want 2 do surgery. They say if I don't, I could wake up paralyzed one day. They say if I do and something goes wrong I could b paralyzed. I'm kinda freaking out. But it is what it is

Byrd Level 7 Mar 26, 2018

Fear and insecurity. 🙂 😉

Nothing to fear but fear itself. 😉

@resserts and now I've got fear of fear by Bauhaus stuck in my head. LOL

I actually don't have any. I have no insecurities or fears. I have already been through everything.
All you can do is to continue to enjoy your life to the fullest. 🙂

Dying a slow horrible death and my dogs getting treated like shit after I die

The latter is a real thing. Not to get too soap boxy but a neighbor's mom was hit and killed by a car while walking her sheltie. They were not the best to that dog after her passing. Shelties bark, a LOT, they put a manual (not automatic stim which graduated settings) on her dog to control it, they zapped the dog all day before winding up taking it to the pound, her beloved dog.
This would not have happened if she'd had a contract , a right of first refusal from a good breeder to insure her dog would be returned safely and properly rehomed.

yes, it is, I love my dogs more than anything including myself, id rather they were put to sleep than go through a load of pain and hurt. it's the reason I've gone from 6 dogs to two dogs, to be honest. I still think dying a long slow death is a very real thing too by the way.

my deepest darkest fear is the world going to shit, losing my kids, my savings, and suffering alone and for a long time.

Seriously now that it is out there I may never sleep again, especially since it looks like the world is rapidly going to shit.

One of my biggest fears is going 2 hospitals. The last time I went, I passed out before I even managed 2 sign in

Byrd Level 7 Mar 26, 2018

Being trapped in my own mind/body in such a way that I was completely dependant on someone else. And unable to choose to end my own life.

Yeah that's pretty fucking frightening.

Not being able to give my kid what she needs to be successful. Me having no help from the father, leaves me short changing her one way or another.

Being forgotten, abandoned, and alone

Yup that's me

My biggest fear is losing loved ones.

Well, I've fallen into destitution just recently at least for 24 hours of the unknown.
I'm a scrapper so I know I will survive. I'm not necessarily worried about companionship as I am about just becoming invisible. Alone in such a way that its solitude.

I'm getting back on my feet as we speak, thank you.

Get old timers.. can't remember shit. Once the mind goes, it's over.

@SteveB Priceless...

@SteveB exactly... that's what is so scary.. not remembering anything, even if you did forget it in the first place.

Confirmed acrophobe right here. I've heard it said that acrophobes don't fear falling but jumping.

Living my life alone, without someone by my side.

Alzheimers.

People rejecting me.

Not being able to log into agnostic.com

Well, now you're talking about a nightmare hell-scape.

@resserts lol

My biggest fears would be to be trapped inside a burning building or to be swimming in shark infested waters.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 26, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43919
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.