Agnostic.com

11 6

QUESTION 11,000 years ago, our ancestors survived abrupt climate change - CNN

A sudden, dramatic cold front that lasted the next 100 years.

Aralt 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm good the ice field ended up the street.

Well if our ancestros didn't survive it we would look pretty silly. Of course many didn't. Many will survive the next one, many won't.

An interesting article to say the least.

Yes an interesting read - I guess they could have really said "Winter is coming!"

@marmot84 Hahaha! Yes. That would have worked just as well.

Our climate has been relatively stable since the last glaciation. This is obviously an exception. Still the interglacial is what has lead to our current civilization. Now, we are moving dramatically towards a much warmer climate. The planet itself will survive but not all of its ecosystems. Ours will be taxed severely in ways we have only begun to recognize.

That is not news.

Yeah. But most of us are soft as fuq now.

"The barista didn't put a smile on my Mistro and my day is ruined" ....soft.

If we skip everything else I wonder how many of us could survive the learning curve of adopting a hunter gatherer lifestyle

First and foremost unless more than 70%of the earths human population is wiped out and this is assuming that animals in the wild survive at their current rate, there will not be enough resources for the human race to survive on, and that 70% number is being fairly liberal.

Can we survive abrupt climate change like they did at Star Carr? Yes.

Luckily, only the poor will die.

I'm sure the 1% and 0.5% will be in domed cities, private islands, and orbiting or lunar estates by then.

Not so lucky if you happen to be poor.

@marmot84 They don't matter, and they'll be dead--so they won't care.

@WileEQuixote Nihilist much? The problem for me is that they will also suffer first. And the survivors along with them.

@marmot84 Life is suffering.

@WileEQuixote Apparently not for the rich

@marmot84 That's why they're not sharing or caring.

Climate change is not uncommon

One sentence I note, "This triggered large scale population crashes." Dying horribly is generally seen to be a bad thing, despite the optimistic headline.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43966
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.