Agnostic.com

10 0

Was there a historical Jesus?

I read a book about Saudi Arabia a while back where the author (Jewish) said there was only one contemporary reference to Jesus, but many think the document had been forged. He said it was odd that there were no existing records of the Jesus uprising, given that the Romans kept pretty good records. Anyone know of other contemporary references to Jesus?

GlyndonD 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know of none. IF there exists a historical Jesus, he spins off of a few stories of men, perhaps Yeshu ben Pandera and Jeshua bar-Abbas are a few. Stories turned to legends, and then the mystical stuff was grafted on, long after the real person was dead or forgotten.

Regardless of HOW it came into being, the story as it exists is preposterous at best.

I believe the the Jesus story is hysterical. I laugh every time......you said historical? Never mind.

Hi, GlymdonD. I"m also interested in the topic. I started a post "Historicity of Jesus" and there were some pretty knowledgeable members, like those in this thread, who left detailed comments. I learned alot. Not sure how to link you there but if you check out my profile you can see my posts. I don't have many so it will be easy to find.

On the one hand I only ever see his historical evidence based in the fact that the gospels exist along with the shroud of Tourin (however you spell that) on the other hand where did this offset of Judaism come from? It could have just been a bunch of people who were noticing how crappy their society was and wanted to try something new to rebel against their Roman oppressors.

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 27, 2018

The shroud of Turin was either faked or was the burial shroud of a Templer Knight.

There is no historical Jesus. And while the Romans kept good records, maybe 10% of those records survive. Modern archeology may well someday recover more contemporary information, but until then, who knows?

Highly Doubtful on historicity, though not 100% conclusive. For a thorough analysis of evidence look to Richard Carrier's book on the Historicity of Jesus why we might have reason for doubt.

Supposedly there are multiple burial shrines of Jesus. 3 in Jerusalem, one in India (Muslim area called Kashmir), and another in Japan. [uk.businessinsider.com]

There is one you may consider. Josephus in his history of the Jewish people does mention a man by the name of Jesus, if one could call him a man, he says. That however, has been proven a forgery.

Yep. It was most definitely added much later.

I watched a talk given by Dr. Hector Avalos, religion professor at Iowa St. U, and during the Q & A time he said he was an agnostic on the existince of the Biblical Jesus. I am at the point that I concur with what he stated.

Jesus wasn't a real person. There's no proof of his existence. Anywhere.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43986
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.