Agnostic.com

20 17

Datng site

I keep seeing posts about this not being a dating site. I guess I am off thinking one way of approaching things is to chat with a number of people for a while and if you find someone interesting then meet with them to see if you want to go further.
How do other people approach this?
Edit I see this as a dating site. I am not sure what people are expecting when they ask if it is or not or if people meet each other here. Talking to a variety of people over time and getting to know them enough to go to the next step sounds perfect to me. People sift and sort through these things in real life like this all the time. Eventually you might find someone but in the meantime there are a lot of other people you make connections with.

btroje 9 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find this site very informative and satisfying. Dating sites are not anything but a quicky. If they cared about you hooking up with someone compatible for your money you would have a steady person you are seeing. Most of the dating sites have scam people on who send you the same letters to you. I have experienced all of those sites.. At least here you can get to know people, at your own pace. If you are in a hurry and think you might die tomorrow I get where you are coming from......"If you want to go fast, go alone.If you want to go far, go together."

you never know where connections lead 🙂 @btroje

exactly

Good luck

I agree.

In fact, I believe it is ideal in terms of "getting to know" people through group conversations.

So and so might be a fine-ass mutha......but then you see that he or she hates liberals and would vote for trump given the choice between him and Warren. Or you are strictly vegan and through conversations here you find that the person you think is the hottest specimen alive is also spends his or her vacations going big game hunting in Africa.

Those kinds of things probably won't not come up in a "Hi, how you doin'" message exchange, but it would be important to many people. There are a thousand similar examples to be found in the conversations here.

What better way to get a feel for someone's personality, quirks, values, experiences, stability, hopes, family situations, etc. than to be a regular witness to all kinds of interesting and mundane information shared here?

Then, if one ever finds themselves saying "Wow, he or she is sooooo ____, and I'd love to spend some one-on-one time with them,....." there's already a jumping off point.

In my opinion, this approach is actually better than getting a message from, or sending a message to, somebody based only on a few pictures, a few answered questions, and a intro bio.

Perfectly said!

exactly 🙂

i joined this community, & only afterwards realised that this is also a dating site. if i would want to use a dating site, it would certainly be one closer to home, which for me is australia, not like here where my chances of meeting an aussie are 1 in 100. this here is just like real life for me: chances are, & then they are not 😀

I think people who have spent a lot of time on "traditional" dating sites that are really giant compatability filters that have been hijacked by men who are just looking for sex, now have an expectation. This site is different and the people here really engage and talk. Contact is free and open, and encouraged. Members are supportive, nice, intelligent. I have only been here a few weeks and have met some REALLY nice folks. Who knows where it will lead? I'm enjoying the ride.

same here.I tried a couple of dating sites very briefly a long time ago. They did not fit my interests. This does

@IAMGROOT me too

A long time ago I tried dating sites. They always want to talk sex, how big is your ass, how big are your boobs, do you do hook up? It is one sexual conversation after another. I got bored and turned off. The last time I met someone for coffee, he ask me is we were going to be ok with hooking up. I had to ask my daughter later what it meant. After he said It, I said I have to go. He tried to get me to go to his car. I ignored him. I continued.to my car, got in, locked up and left. I have never tried that again. If you have no more intellect than that, you got the wrong girl. Not that those things don't come up, but not before hello. I want more from a relationship than sex. I want that too, but I want to care about the person first.

I don't.

I am like you, I have not figured that out yet. I think people have a little more ethics and morals here and it is difficult to just stick yourself out there.

see my edit

This place includes features for dating but it's certainly not a dating site. It's a community first. I was open to the dating aspect for a while but there really were no members in my area at all so I abandoned that but I have met a very great woman with very similar ideals to my own last month and we really hit it off. I still am here for the social media aspect.

see my edit

@btroje I see what your saying. Chatting on here is not easy. I would almost sooner give my phone number and allow them to call me. I wish we had a group chat room to hang out and just talk to one another. I agree with you meeting friends along the way. I always love friends, so meeting and chatting is great. Why cannot admin make this happen?

@BettyColeman What I am saying is I am fine with the site. WHen people are asking if anyone ever gets a date here and it looks like the have only been here say maybe a week I am not sure how they would expect to meet and date someone that soon or what a date like that would be. For whatever reason I am more comfortable reading posts than talking on the phone with someone I have never met

@BettyColeman I'm pretty sure that a group chat room is in the works.

I think that is wonderful and the way this social site works is we share ourselves. We share life, what we like, our interests, hopes, dreams. For me this makes this a great place to come. People build on each others desires in this universe.

@ailurophile Reading posts is good. It is communication. I like it here and feel somfortable chatting with the men on this site It is so nice to listen or read their ideas on life. I enjoy this site, I am in no hurry, but if someone thinks they are attracted, wonderful. I would rather take time to know each other

It's likely just a Fundamentalist Christian phishing site, gathering info for the upcoming Purge.

in no way for me is it that.

Ha! ...and how would you know about such a thing, @WileEQuixote?

@ailurophile Oh, no reason....

I came here because I saw that it WAS a dating site. But shortly after being a member of the group, I realized it was a lot more than that, so I think most of us here just consider it a chat site more than anything, but, yeah, if you talk to someone for a while and you both develop an attraction, by all means, go for it. Life is short.

Meeting someone here can almost automatically take away one of the biggest hurdles in meeting someone, religious incompatibility.

Not having that issue looming is a big plus in getting to know a person, imo.

On a dating site you very rarely "talk" with the gender you're not "looking for." I love the community aspect of this site, I love talking to like minded ladies and gents. There are some gals here I think we could hang together and do some real damage. No cattiness, just friendship. And mostly there are some really smart people here, I've learned so much and gotten such great feedback. This is like (shhhhh, I didn't say this) heaven!

🙂

Meet someone who lives across the street? LOL
jk...when I figure it all out will let you know. I joined thinking I'd put myself 'out there' hoping to at least eliminate the god thing early on, because that's huge to me. I don't want to deal with that stuff. Atm think it's way harder than I thought it would be, then again, have learned some things about myself in the process of this new endeavor.

Even though I am only here for community, I've had my interest piqued by a couple of members.
Unfortunately, logistics are not my friend. Such is life.
I'm fairly certain that if dating is the goal for some, they're likely to be successful.
There are an awful lot of interesting people who've become members of this site.
I think as long as people's expectations are reasonably realistic, and they aren't in
an all-fired hurry, those looking to connect with someone should be successful.

Still getting used to the site so not really sure if it's geared for anything more then conversation between like minded folks ... If you meet someone who piques your interest beyond, great!

Gozer Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

It is, technically a dating site but I love that it's more a community. It offers an easier no pressure way to get to know people.

Yep. If I don't meet the love of my life here, at least I've made some friends 🙂

@WizardBill a shame there's no way to travel extended distances lmao

exactly

I spoke to a variety of people on messaging-then phone. Traveled to your not so fair city and spent time with fellow member. We were not compatible and there was no chemistry. Advice have them take a selfie. Some pics are more than 5 years old in their profiles. Good luck.

whose not so fair city?

Las Vegas? Stayed in North Las Vegas where homeless put their tents near cemetaries and on the side of the road-so sad.

I think it's far more natural way of finding potential partners than simply trawling through a ton of photos and profiles, and it gives you a far more realistic impression of what people are actually like.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 26, 2018

Agreed.

looks like you might be the only two that understood my post

@WizardBill good!I ended up editing it because it didnt look like I was clear

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43989
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.