Agnostic.com

1 0

What do you think of a US Constitutional Amendment that would modify Presidential Impeachment so that it would automatically invoke a vote of the electorate instead of a trial in the Senate?

One of the Republican talking points in the House's session for voting on the Articles of Impeachment against Trump is that it would be overturning the election of 2016. An article I recently read asserted that voters generally have discomfort about turning over this part of democracy to Congress.

So what about actually putting it to a national vote? Not involving the Electoral College, but the actual will of the people. I think it might work better. The only thing I'm not sure about is how much of a majority should be needed. I think a simple majority would be a mistake though.

• 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 0 votes
bingst 8 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would be too unwieldy. Besides that’s what your representatives get paid to do, make difficult decisions. In consultation with the electorate might be helpful though

Electoral college large is a bad idea anyway.

@Bierbasstard Some states have taken steps to do just that.

Unwieldy in what way?

@bingst in that asking the electorate to vote as if in a plebiscite or referendum would cost billions and logistically very challenging. It would have to be run in different lines to an election.

@Geoffrey51 I don't see how it would be any different to a general election.

@bingst probably not, but is the public purse going to accept the expense of what is ostensibly an interim election when there is one coming up in the next 12 months

@Geoffrey51 For the sole case of impeachment of the president, I think so. It's certainly something for which money could be set aside, just in case. And since it's a federal matter administered at the local level ultimately, the majority of funding for it should probably come from the federal government.

@bingst in that case sounds like a plan!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:440065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.