Agnostic.com

11 12

Today's hike: Cougar kill and a Great Gray Owl.

Today Karen and I hiked with snowshoes above Squilchuck State Park. Heavy wet snow.

In front of us, a Great Gray Owl with a huge wingspan swooped down on the snow, coming up with a mouse in its talons. Thrilling! Gray owls hunt during the day. It's extremely rare to see an owl since most hunt at night.

Higher in the forest, we came upon a bloody deer leg on the trail. A full-grown deer was killed by a cougar. Eagle-eye Karen spotted the deer's rib cage in the gully below.

"Cougar drag their kill down into gullies and hide the carcass with branches," Karen said. "It looks like coyotes dragged the leg here and are stripping it of meat." We saw black coyote scat.

"I wonder if the cougar is still hungry," Karen said. We hurried away. Didn't want to hang around taking pictures.

We walked through an area that was selectively logged for fire prevention below a subdivision. To my delight, the loggers left Ponderosa Pine and Northern Larch. They high-pruned trees so fire will burn across the ground instead of in tree crowns.

Sledding kids shrieked, zooming down icy hills by the parking lot. Sounded like a pool.

Winter Solstice, the sun dropped behind mountain ridges at 2:30 p.m. This picture was taken during lunch around 1 p.m. Sunset was at 3:30 p.m.

Hunting owls:

[video.search.yahoo.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Today is longer than yesterday. Welcome the return of the sun. I look forward to spring.

it is good you had at least one more person with you. I hope you had walking staffs also.

@benhmiller

Karen and I always carry two hiking poles. Karen carries cougar spray and has never used it.

Dangerous Animals: Unleashed Dogs

In the past six years, I have been attacked by eight dogs while hiking and snowshoeing. It took six months for my knee ligament to heal after one terrifying dog attack. None of the dog owners apologized or controlled their dogs. Now I feel afraid of strange dogs.

To fend off dogs, Karen taught me to vigorously swing my poles, criss-crossing them at my feet. Dogs back off.

"Stop swinging your poles," dog owners protest. "You'll poke his eyes out!" "That's the point," I reply, amused. "Control your dog! Grab his collar." They never do.

Disrespectful, selfish dog owners.

@behhmiller

For safety, I never hike alone.

This is all part of nature. Mother nature is cruel. More proof of no gods

You said "black cougar" (Felis concolor). Did you mean panther? In the last two decades Panthers (Pantera pantera) have been moving up out of Mexico into Southern New Mexico (Guadalupe Mtn) and Texas. Part of their original range, but killed off historically. It is conceivable like wolves and Grizzlies in Colorado that they have worked their way as far north as Wash-Oregon.

@t1nick

Good catch. I meant "coyote." Fixed the typo. Thanks.

Gray wolves and grizzlies came to Washington from Canada.

Vivid commentary. Thanks for sharing.

@RoyMillar, @OldMetalHead, @Larry68Feminist, @GipsyOfNewSpain, @bobwjr, @ToolGuy

In winter, deer descend to valleys to feed and give birth. Cougar follow the deer.

In January 2017, I nearly stepped on fresh deer entrails, wetly glistening in the gravel parking lot by my car. A cougar had disemboweled a deer.

Like little kids, Karen and I foolishly followed a trail of fresh blood. Karen spotted the deer carcass in a gully below.

"Where's the cougar?" I asked, stopping. "It must be nearby. Let's get out of here!"

Hike with a metal cane even a sharp one.....defend from large animals attacking you two .....if the deer all get poisoned by TrumpOLINI predators will be hungry for you

@Larry68Feminist

Cougar attacks and sightings are extremely rare.

Over 44 years of hiking over 200 miles/year, I have only seen two cougars. They were together in Olympic National Park.

Karen hikes with her dog every day. She carries cougar spray and has never used it.

I never hike alone.

@LiterateHiker true most habitat destruction/poisoning is agricultural not forestry but TrumpOLINI is escalating species extinction and animals are bound to retaliate.....Grizzlies are a good example....dams have ruined salmon runs their prime food source so people wound up inside grizzly bear bellies

@Larry68Feminist

Grizzly bears are omnivorous, meaning they eat both flora and fauna. Although they are on the top of the predator list, their diet consists mostly of berries, roots, grasses, fruit, nuts, leaves, and fish. However, they do eat large animals such as moose and elk, as well as small rodents.

Human bodies are not their normal food source.

What do Grizzly Bears Eat?

[animalstime.com]

@LiterateHiker I agree about normal observation of Griz, but for weeks/months of salmon runs Griz yearly travel to the rivers and if human dams down river greatly reduce salmon, other animals including humans are ripe for grizzlies to substitute for missing fish

Beautiful Pic and another great hiking adventure ,Unfortuneatly we are going to have a green Christmas this year ,Yuck

@RoyMillar

Thank you!

Winter Solstice. Dusk fell in the woods at 2 p.m. as the sun dropped below mountain ridges.

@literate Hiker , Your right it was a beautiful Solstice day yesterday,Happy you enjoyed it in Nature

Thank you for the poetic duet.....I rarely "track" anymore as trained in Scouting....there not 5 cougars in Iowa but an over population of deer .....human "culture" destroys our symbiotic earth....Feminist Atheism restores the natural BALANCE of nature.....your cougar was likely female storing food for her 2 or 3 kits .....coyotes are not likely to take down an animal larger than a rabbit ...have Grizzlies wandered down from Canada where they were chased 100+ years ago ?

@Larry58Feminist

There are a few grizzly bears in North Cascade Mountains, WA. Ranchers fight against restoring wolves and grizzlies.

Historically, gray wolves were common throughout much of Washington, but were all but wiped out by humans by the 1930s. In 2008, Washington wildlife managers documented the state’s first breeding wolf pack in modern time

[wdfw.wa.gov]

@LiterateHiker what about morel mushrooms ? None in pine forests but could be in hardwood river bottoms ??

@Larry68Feminist

Morel mushroom are found in May. Professional mushroom hunters strip the woods of Morels, selling them in Seattle for big bucks.

Morels grow after wildfires. Here I'm covered in ash, hunting for Morels after the Chiwaukum Creek wildfire. We found a few. May 2015.

@LiterateHiker another example of capitalist greed....selling more morels than a family can eat

@Larry68Feminist

Morels grow are in coniferous forests, too. The most important thing is moisture. Morels are found at the base of dead trees on north-facing slopes. They proliferate after forest fires.

You know your wilderness... enjoy the season and celebrate heartly.

Currently here in India at my cousin's. Every morning I go out for 6-10k walks in her colony. It's nice, but also hot.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 22, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:440929
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.