Agnostic.com

17 6

Are you superstitious?

Presumably, being superstitious makes as much sense as being religious, i.e not much. But I just signed paperwork for my car, which was totaled in an accident. This was my third accident in this car since it was new, over just 33 months. I’m glad to be rid of this car as it seemed to be cursed, jinxed, or have bad juju. So I ask you, if you are superstitious, how do you justify it?

• 6 votes
  • 58 votes
PhitDoctor50 7 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yep, I am. Only about certain things. Most are uniquely my own. And I toss salt over my shoulder if I spill it. It's absurd, I know.

If you know it's absurd then why do it?

@Katrik I don't have a rational answer ?

No, I wear my lucky socks to ward off superstitious nonsense.

that works for me too

Not superstious. knock on wood

A little bitty bit. I wear a chain around my neck when l leave the house. There is an item belonging to each of my parents on the chain. I left the house without it once and felt a little uneasy about it. It hasn't happened since.

Not superstitious at all. Will say knock on wood as a reflex.

Atheist brings with it the notion that rational thought should prevail. That anything outside the realm of observable, measurable, testable, falsifiable reality is unacceptable. I won't bother with listing all the things that fit into the irrational mold, but I will say that all things connected with superstition are in that category with the exception of those things which have a rational element that justifies the thought. Not walking under ladders is one of those. Agnostics can get away with carrying some of this baggage because they can always resort to the old, "There are things in this universe we cannot know," and make the assumption that has let them off the hook. They don't realize that the statement itself is irrational.

Not stitious at all. Not even a little.

Neither.
Yes, things and places can seem "cursed' by some sort of negative energy, which people can also make go away by various means, including ignoring it, discounting it, or telling ithe problem to leave, since we contribute to creating our own realities. But this has nothing to do with "superstition."

I am not superstitious, but I do believe in luck! When I have experienced this kind of situation, especially accidents...the first thing I wonder is, where did I go wrong? Where was my attention at the time of the accident? What was I doing at the time, that increased my risk of an accident? After that I would move passed it, asap! I do believe there are things that happen, from sheer luck! That makes it even more urgent that we evaluate to see where we dropped our attention, (even slightly for the situation).

No, I don't burden myself with bullshit, it's far better for growing plants.

I used to be superstitious. In fact when I was a kid I had a superstition about the 17th of June. Don't ask me what started it because I'm not sure. It might seem strange that I would have this fear of an arbitrary day but then again it's not any different from the fear of Friday the 13th.

No buyt anything that makes you feel safer in a world where a slate could come down on your head any minute is probably not harmful for peacefulness of mind. I daresay we all use little devices in order to cope with uncertainty -I like the phrase expect the best and ne prepared for the worst- but life would appear to be quite a fleeting affair so many unforseens.

I always say the "ions" will be the end of humanity (a bit dramatic, I know) ReligION, SuperstitION & TraditION ? Having said that no matter how much I chastise myself I have to exit the bed on the same side I got in because of my grandmother & her many superstition's ?

Yesterday would have been my deceased sons 34th birthday, when I looked at my facebook page I see he had updated his facebook picture, he has been dead for almost 5 years so I don't know how this happened. I am not usually superstitious but that was strange.

No I'm not, I think it's unlucky to be superstitious.

I am not, but a coined a phrase for my ex-wifr, "stupidstitious"....that was her....

An absurd reaction to irrational fears.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44114
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.