Agnostic.com

44 5

What's the worst job you've had? Why?

Mea 7 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One time I did some office help for a guy and for a while it was going okay until we had to do an audit of this one business. It was a company that sold remote controlled toys and me and a friend had to inventory thousands of meticulous parts. We were expected to do a job that would realistically take a couple of weeks but only in a few hours. So naturally we never finished and we were told that we weren't worth the five bucks an hour.

I hated fast food in general. People don't seem 2 get how stressful it can be. But my all time most despised job was KFC, I understand there are gonna be things that maybe went a bit past hold time and you still serve it...maybe...but one manager I had there tried having me sell rotten chicken. It was turning kinda green, I knew he and I disagreed on what could be served already, so before he even came in for the day, I took it out 2 the dumpster and opened all the bags and tossed it. I figured if it wasn't in bags anymore there was no way he'd make me get it out...I was wrong, he told me 2 climb in and get it, said we couldn't afford 2 waste that much. This is all after I had told him when we did inventory that he was pulling out way 2 much chicken 2 thaw. Nope! Favorite jobs where landscaping (we dug 2000 ft of 6 to 8 ft deep trenches, that was fun!) And roofing

Byrd Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

I'm getting kind of neausus now thinking of all the times I ate at KFC

@Rudy1962 I'm sorry... I would like 2 add, I worked at the KFC in fife Washington, I also went 2 other KFC restaurants 4 meetings. The other ones I went 2 had much higher standards. So unless you went 2 fife I want 2 say you should be good

@Byrd wheew

Roto Rooter, I had a hose blow pumping a septic tank out needless to say that was my last day.

Pitchforking 12,000 rotting chicken corpses onto a trailer in the very hot sun in shorts with the juice dripping on me

Factory work.. always factory work. The mundane, work production that never ends.. all to keep "producing" things that enevitibly end up in the ocean somehow. But hey, least we have tilapia.

Teaching high school. Meetings for hours every night after school, an hour commute each way, weekends full of having to help with homecoming events, coach kids for free. If I was being paid by the hour it would be costing me to work for them.

So I switched to teaching college adjuct classes instead, despite the lower pay.

I have had a few but I think the worst was at university, cleaning out chicken barns to make some extra cash.

I did overnight at a homeless shelter. When I found my way thru the computer files and saw how much money they had, the conditions of the shelter, and my pay, I had to quit. It was disgraceful

The Army! The hours sucked! The pay was terrible! People wanted to kill you!

Industrial Relations Consultant in the disability accomodation industry, I gave it up, the employer was really trying to rip the staff and I don't play that way.

On one job, for a charity called Gateway to a Cure, I signed on just after the local newspaper did a series, accusing the head of the organization of skimming off money for personal expenses.

It was an uphill; battle, but we did make some decent sales.

I went off to another job, but I followed the news story about Gateway. It seems like a conviction was nearing for the owner. So he got on the roof of Gateway's building with a .38 caliber revolver. The rest you can imagine.

Next, I was a telemarketer for The Pisa Group. Now, sit back and picture a business that sold newspaper subscriptions over the phone-- in the age of the internet That was hurdle #1.

Hurdle #2: As an example, we had to sell subscriptions for the Dallas Morning News. Let me repeat: the DALLAS morning news. What was the one place in Texas we couldn't call? You got it.

So there we all were. Toward last, the boss told us that we had to keep selling until they hung up.

The place itself was a hellhole, with water damaged ceiling tiles,and exposed wiring.

I was soon fired from that venue, and went on to become one of the top salesmen at Thumbs Up Telemarketing.

Months later, I read about Pisa Group's Alton, Illinois office. They closed the place down and skipped town. They didn't bother telling any of their employees that, so people showed up at work, to see a locked door and a small card in the window with the words "Office Closed until further notice."

And yet, they still came. I got a call from someone trying to sell me a St. Louis Post-Dispatch subscription. "Are you with The Pisa Group?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Why don't you ask your employer about the Alton office? They shut it down without telling their employees. Nice bunch of folks you're working for."

The response was a most satisfying *CLICK."

The best job? Thumbs Up Telemarketing. We took inbound calls for a mortgage payment plan from Citi Mortgage. We were treated like kings: they brought in dinner for us, gave us all sorts of bonuses, and generally treated us like rock stars.

Then one week people started calling in: their payment plans were being cancelled. The next week, we heard that Citi had cancelled that plan, and hadn't told us. Thumbs Up lost Citi as a client, and went into a slow death spiral.

Weeks later, I heard a speech from a Citi bigwig: he was bragging about eliminating 2000 jobs. And mine was one of them..

Making 40km of fairy lights using a manual press. I lasted one day.

Last year, actually - doing my normal work.

I had to send them a letter of demand with a threat of a lawsuit to force them to pay me for the work I delivered back in late 2017. Still on-going. At least they are now drip-feeding me their payment - instead of simply delaying payment indefinitely.

I'm waiting for their debt to get to a certain amount and then I can take them to Small Claims Court. Only proof that someone owes someone else money is required in Small Claims Court. And I can represent myself in Small Claims Court. Legal advice is not required - although recommended, of course. And which I have access to - in case I really need it.

Production office in a plastic thermoforming plant. They made clamshell cases and whatnot. There was a constant particle haze in the air and I went home every day with a terrible headache. The office had only just enough ventilation to make it not lethal, and there was a literal 15-degree temperature difference between one side and the other. They measured it. I was cold all the time anyway, and was stuck on the cold side and they refused to let me move to the warm side. So picture it--it's June in Illinois. I'm wearing layers, I have a space heater, I'm drinking hot tea, and I'm still blue with cold. I step out of the office and my glasses immediately fog up because it is literally 120 degrees on the production floor. Again, they measured it. To top it off, I'm in a constant somnolent daze because of undiagnosed narcolepsy, and I had to stay at that job for over a year because if I quit, the abuse at home would have gotten even worse. I was miserable.

Aww, I'm so sorry. That all sounds awful.

I relate to your last sentence soo much, minus the narcolepsy and it fckng sucks :/

I sold guns at Cabela's. Big box retail, large amounts of paperwork, and I was doing hiring and discipline, but not firing. That was tough, especially with social anxiety and a different worldview than most others there.
7 years wasted on that.

There is nothing like worst jobs,it totally depends upon self interest.

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 27, 2018

@FAIZ I'm not entirely sure that's true after reading some of these comments

@Mea job is job,every job has its significance,only joy of heart regarding to the job matters.And behaviour of boss also relates

A pizza Hut where there was no dine in. So much shady shit and osha violations

No wait the stuckys that posted my social on the bathroom door, made me work until 2 am on school nights, paid me under the table, made me work 50 hours a week while going to high school. Had make table covered in drippage from the holes in the roof. Made me, 16 years old, sell beer and cigarettes, and only paid me 80 dollars for 5 weeks. Then fired me for calling in sick with pertussis.

Safe to say they have been shut down for over 10 years now, the owner is in prison for fraud, and owes 2m back taxes

All thanks to a vindictive teenager with a 1200 dollar reward 😉

The last job I had before my current one sucked shit. When I was interviewing for the job they insinuated that I would get hourly plus commission which turned out to be a lie, I had to deal with irate customers calling in all day because of their shady business practices and I had to pull teeth just to get $10 per hour with 0 benefits. I literally hated that job with a passion and didn't hide my feelings about it.

Second shift: 2 pm to 10 pm, 3pm to 11 pm when I worked at a local Walmart as a greeter while standing the whole full hours shift and greeting rude customers. Never again!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.