Agnostic.com

29 8

LINK Prayer Doesn't Heal People—At Least I Hope Not

I'm an adult and atheist so I don't believe in prayer yet I do follow the author of this post and found it interesting coming from someone who believes in God... Thoughts?

DGJ0114 7 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Makes a lot of sense. If prayers can affect anyone it's the people praying. The worry is, as with all placebos, that it may displace a more useful activity.

I'm pretty certain there have been enough MILLIONS of people who, although they prayed, were NOT healed... that amount of empirical evidence pretty much ends this debate..

@ToolGuy , that's always my question. If they believe prayer can cure them, then they must also believe that more often than not their god just says fuck off.

Of course prayer doesn't heal people. It's delusional.

"A parent who denies his or her child necessary medical care could face the following consequences:

1. Loss of custody. The state may find that the parent is neglecting the child and place the child in state custody in order to protect the child.

2. Criminal charges. The parent may face child abuse, child neglect and / or assault charges for failing to provide the necessary medical care for the child.

Religious Beliefs are Not a Defense for Denying Medical Treatment to a Minor

"Adults have the right to refuse medical care for religious or personal reasons. However, they may not impose religious practices or personal beliefs which endanger the welfare of a child on minor children. Instead, most states require parents to provide a reasonable degree of medical care for their children or else face legal consequences.

[resources.lawinfo.com]

Applies to vaccinations also.

I reckon he’s on the slide towards rational thought and disbelief in God...the logical conclusion that it’s the human capacity for love and empathy that is needed in the kind of situations he talks of, and that the realisation that prayer only brings us together as people and has no other effect is already firmly implanted in his head. He has also realised that to accept that god is so uncaring that he isn’t moved to act is antipathetic to believing in a loving caring god. If he thinks prayer is useless in moving god to act, the next step should be to realise that it’s not prayer of any kind that makes people pull together in a crisis, but common humanity...and that an appeal human to human to show kindness and compassion towards each other may actually have an even more profound result than “praying” together.

Prayer doesn't heal people. Prayer is used to make people feel good for praying for someone. I think the pastor who wrote about pray is starting to doubt his belief in god.

Bingo!

He's getting there, but hasn't yet figured out that an absent god, an indifferent god, a non-interventionist god, and a non-existent god can't be told one from the other, because they all behave the same. Which is to say, identical to random happenstance.

He's just decided to stop cherry picking the countless, lavish, detailed scriptures promising various forms of grace and healing and even largesse for the faithful. Since he's at least honest enough to admit that god doesn't uniformly (or even statistically) "bless the righteous and confound the wicked", he's just going to let that go and pretend that all prayer is supposed to be meditative and devotional rather than petitioning.

He's above average for an evangelical preacher, but still can't admit to himself that it's ALL bullshit, all the way down.

I think it’s the start of a slide out of believing...he’s taken the first step.

Prayer is just one form of meditation. An inward looking and calming.

Meditations are subject to stupidity. But what matters is the individual's belief that healing is possible.

The science is clear, positive thoughts, and lots of laughs, do made people weller, faster.

i do not care if someone thinks they did not heal themselves. I only care that they don't proclaim a godly miracle and thereby can demand laws be changed.

the placebo effect does not work for terminal illnesses without medical treatment. If all the person has is positive thoughts or prayers, they will die of their cancer or other terminal illness (unless part of that rare portion of patients that experiences spontaneous remission for whatever reason).

@demifeministgal mmm it would be interesting to look into the reasons and mind frames of those that recover 😉

@girlwithsmiles I think it would be interesting to look at their genetics and DNA... something in their bodies is causing an elimination of cancer cells and if scientists could isolate it and recreate it, it'd do wonders!

Someone doest understand science "science is clear, positive thoughts". Science is based on facts, even if it makes someone feel bad.

@demifeministgal sure, if that’s the reason lols.

@demifeministgal, @SilentRage As hypnotism has recently been acknowledged by science, I think I’ll keep an open mind. Especially given that the world used to be flat and stomach ulcers and hepatitis incurable 😉

@SilentRage technically science is that which follows the scientific method and adheres to falsifiability.

@girlwithsmiles technically people have known the world was NOT flat for quite a long time.... there may be pockets of ignorant people in the dark ages proclaiming it was flat, but intellectuals from the distant past knew it was not flat. Also, I doubt any peer reviewed literature has shown the validity of hypnotism.

@demifeministgal interesting, and hep and stomach ulcers?
’Currently the UK’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence recommends hypnotism for Irritable bowel syndrome.
The UKs Royal College of Midwives now accredits hypnobirthing courses and funds training into it.
Some anaesthetists now include hypnotism in their toolkit.’
Are a few direct quotes from the New Scientist on 9 November 2019.
There have been, and are currently, many researchers working in this in the science world. James Braid, a Scottish surgeon kicked off the science in the 19th century.
Since 1992 hypnotism has been used for surgical procedures, biopsy, laparoscopy, breast cancer and plastic surgery included.
Guy Montgomery in New York has had positive results and did a financial breakdown of savings to the US.
David Spiegal at Stanford (psychologist) is also pro hypnotism. Faymonville, Mark Jensen and Laurence Sugarman are also associated with recent studies.

@girlwithsmiles So what exactly does the hypnotism do for these conditions and surgeries? Like calm the person down? Used as a type of meditative state?

@demifeministgal yes, and as suggested as a substitute for numbing the area chemically.

@SilentRage Recovery does occur. We don't know why. Incorrect diagnosis? The body responding appropriately.
Humor has been proven to help recovery. The human body is a wonder.

Sounds like reality and rationality is creeping into his thinking. The seeds of reason are planted. I'm betting he's struggling with reality. It's a difficult dilemma when a preacher realizes he has been preaching a lie. He may be middle aged with no other training no other way to earn a living, no home or other assets to speak of and maybe a family to support. What do you do? Keep lying to the congregation for your own survival or come clean.

I think of prayer as an attempt to communicate but in the wrong direction.

As an agnostic, I'm 99% sure there is no such thing as a "god." Gods are and always have been imaginary. However, "praying" to non-existent gods can have some benefit--to a believer's psyche. If a believer imagines that god will heal him, that can have a positive effect on his mind.

Instead of praying to something that doesn't exist, I've learned that by going deep within myself, I can get in touch with a deeper knowledge and power which--for me--actually does help me heal, grow, and stay happier than I otherwise would. Some people like to call that "the god within," but it's no god. It's simply a result of opening my conscious thinking mind to other parts of my mind that aren't normally accessible.

So rather than pray, I practice Zen meditation--where I almost always get real results.

I use this too only I call it self hypnosis, I know it is petty but I still find words like meditation, Zen and transcendentalism to have to many supernatural connotations attached to them.

@LenHazell53 Call it anything you wish, but the principle is still the same. Your non-conscious mind is at least 100X the size of your conscious mind...and it knows LOTS of stuff that you can't consciously connect with.

If prayer actually worked there would be no world, either consciously or subconsciously everyone would be the subject of another persons prayer for them to fail or die.
For every healing prayer their would be a prayer for genocide of one race or another, for every good thing that happened to anyone there would be a prayer for them to suffer as unworthy of that good fortune.
For everyone suffering as the answer to a prayer there would be a prayer to kill the god who granted it and the supplicant who asked for it.

Prayer is a way for priests to play the odds, if you pray and it is apparently answered, that proves god, if it is not, you're faith was not strong enough, or god said no for purposes of the greater good.
Win win win situation.

So the Christian God does awful things and doesn’t listen to the prayers of his followers either? Sounds like a great guy; where do I sign up?

That he’s talking about; empathy, shared experience and sacred kindness - very interesting, but he’s still cherry picking parts of popular culture and associating it with his, (confused/ ever changing and developing) religion. On the plus side he’s still got an open mind to change and questions 🙂

Prayer can have a placebo effect, which proves nothing.

Placebo is almost 70% as effective as the "pill" being tested. Dont trust me I ask you to look it up.

I read a lot of "belief" words, most could have been replaced by "think". I agree with other sentiments here that the author seemed to be struggling with facing reality.

The author has it exactly right."I believe prayer changes our hearts as we pray, it tethers us to one another, and it increases hope in otherwise hopeless situations." Of course the important thing here is how it changes our hearts. Many Christians pray for negative outcomes and it only increases their negative feelings toward themselves and others.. This is how we wind up with bigotry, racism, misogyny and overall ignorance in the Christian Church. Prayer can be used to reinforce negative or even fatalistic conformation bias as easily as it can open ourselves to our higher consciousness. Its like fire or any other form of energy. its good or bad depending how we use it.

It might have the same results as placebo. It all depends what’s meant by “heal”.

Gee whiz, he noticed.

If prayer worked as a healing agent. Then why has there ever been an amputee who grew back a limb.,,, ever?
There have, and will always be some kind of back and forth about the healing power of prayer. But that question is fairly paramount to me. There really is no argument against it. JMHO.

Prayer works on you and not the other person. Sometimes prayer makes you very unreasonable and it also is not logical.

If prayer did anything at all we would all pray and be healthy, rich, and influential. Since we are not, prayer does not work. It is that simple.

I'm sure it can help people die peacefully!

PatP Level 3 Jan 2, 2020

Prayer is a placebo. Sometime a sugar pill will cure an illness because the person believes it will. Same with prayer

Not as far as religion but do you believe there is any power in faith?

I heard a while back it did
I'd like to believe that and I figure it couldn't hurt

Prayer, the scientific experiment. Once up on a Time there was this undefinable infinite singularity of all powerful dot. Then the dot decided to no longer be all powerful so scientific myth says that the dot said "Bang" and began releasing it's all powerfulness pushing back anti-space creating the scientific space-time bubble.

Using the knowledge of good and evil, positive and negative, proton and electron the infinite power spred it's all powerfulness into those things as the power and energy transfered into the elements.

To make a long story short, let's say just few days later, the energy of the positive and negative protons and electrons along with neutrons built people with thinking ability.

So, as the once all powerful was transfering its powerfulness into existence it got to the point that it no longer had all-knowing capabilities because its knowing capabilities was spread thru out the brains of the people that started becoming created.

The once all-powerful was able to get the people to pray so that the once all knowing would hear what the people were thinking about to get an understanding of what it was like to be a person and what issues people would address to what they thought was an all-powerful, all- loving , all- present creator. It took a lot of work to get people to begin praying because people thought it was ridiculous to pray to what people thought was already an all knowing thing. People just couldn't believe that there was any reason why they should pray and talk to something they thought was all-knowing but little did people know that the all-power, all-knowing was in recession from being those all- things.

When those few people would pray the less-than-all-powerful would muster up a little whiz bang to tickle peoples fancy reassuring them to keep up their prayers. Then finally the once-all-powerful decided to finish up its existance and turn over exist to those that had the knowledge of how to manage human animals. Then the once-all-powerful said it was finished and made arrangements to float into the sky to once and for all be in non-existance with the non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God.

John 19:29-30 28 After this, Jesus, [a]knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” 29 Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. 30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

Acts 1:9 Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.

Word Level 8 Dec 30, 2019

Thats hard to read.I can't tell if its humor or not.

@SilentRage It has to be humor as for me it makes no sense.

Nope it doesn't

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 30, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:443876
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.