Agnostic.com

10 7

What Makes a Good Life? What a 75-Year Harvard Study Found

What keeps us happy and healthy as we go through life? In this talk, psychiatrist Robert Waldinger shares three important lessons learned from the study. (12 minutes)

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was never good at long, satisfying relationships. I love my family, but I'm happy that I live three states away from them. I don't know if I will ever have that one big relationship, where everything falls into place. I only have a few good friends that I love them to the moon, but I'm still alone. I have my own little house, a good job, and my cats. I feel happy for the most part; sometimes I yearn for a relationship, but other times I cherish my solitude. I can't win.

We must be soul something... The only delta between your life and mine is your cats !!

My gratitude about my life is indeed well-placed. I have enough money, never wanted to be famous, and am blessed with some of the best friendships I could ever have. @mertheist

Health, family, friends, appreciation for beauty and connection to Nature.

Dr. Waldinger spoke for me. My goal is good happy relationships. Thanks for sharing this.

I am so glad that I found my second wife. I firmly believe that if I had stayed in my first marriage, I would have ben dead years ago.

Very nice. Money is OK, but friends, family, and healh are way more important.

jeffy Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

yep thank goodness for friends and our tiny family [ one of the pitfalls of emigration]

Riches and fame are fleeting and superficial but the young people have not the experience to understand this. The program, voluntary simplicity really shows how those goals can actually lead to dissatisfaction.

A British film series “7 Up” also tracked people (men and women) over long periods of time. One guy especially did not want to change because he thought change meant that his present way of thinking would be made wrong. He had a goal, p (to be a jockey) pursued and obtained his goal. But life got in the way and he hit some walls. In the end it was the changes forced on him that really made a difference. He met a woman with similar circumstances and they formed a relationship. Together they grew and succeeded in making for a fulfilling life. [imdb.com]

Social connections is totally true and an introvert like me can attest to that. How many times have I said it is about quality? (bigger – more, is not better, better is better). High conflict relationships are draining and yet a good, warm relationships are protective and empowering. I know I have had both and some in between. I also know bickering can be avoided. Frustrations often cannot but together one can make them surmountable.

Why is it so hard to get and easy to ignore. Because it is often too rare to get especially when one has their mind fixed on wealth and/or power. Nothing of value is easy to get and maintain and it always takes time.

I don't regret my choice to leave my marriage, I am sure it saved my mental health. I miss being in a relationship, but single and content is better than yoked and miserable.

Very well put. Relationships are hard to get into and hard to maintain. It takes work and patience and lots of love. This speaker clearly illustrates that through the 75 year research study. Love seems to be the glue that keeps everything together.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44414
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.