Agnostic.com

10 5

LINK Is America A Christian Nation? - Freedom From Religion Foundation

If we are a Christian nation, why doesn't our Constitution say so? Someone earlier said they knew nothing about the separation of church and state. Here's some knowledge πŸ™‚

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope, and it was never meant to be. Many of the Founding Fathers attended church because of appearances, but in general they truly believed in the Enlightenment and reason. There was pressure from extreme Protestants to declare the U.S. Christian even back then. This is why the First Amendment to the Constitution established boundaries for religions.

Great answer

I heard that Jefferson and Franklin were deists at best and this was pre Darwin. When asked about religion, Jefferson said β€œIt neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.” Religion in general picks pockets and breaks legs these days.

@Markus Regarding Darwin, he married the Christian daughter of Josiah Wedgewood, the wealthy pottery founder. Miserable marriage. No wonder he traveled a lot.

@hemingwaykitten
I read that they were divorced but still living together. His schedule was, and probably still is, crazy busy.

Based on my reading, I would like to see Thomas Jefferson use his sayings and try to get elected today.

It pretends to be

Thank you for posting this. I am an after-life member and attend the convention regularly. We need more on this site to become members.

The Christian nation thing is so full of hot air and is so easy to debunk. We have never been a Christian nation and the word religion is not exclusive of religions other than Christianity (and even Christian sects try to exclude other Christian sects).

christian as in kind , charitable and for the common good . NOT

I think when the Bill of Rights was ratified, the First Amendment did have a secular motion towards it. It's not too long:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

In time, I believe that mention of God will be removed from American currency.

I am afraid most of it is....the court systems sure are, "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you GOD (with your hand on the bible) As an athiest, I do not fear lying in court, this is their world, not mine.

In court I state my atheism and refuse to swear on a bible or to say "so help me god". Legally they have to respect that.

The threat of prosecution for perjury is sufficient to deter lying. In my State, witnesses β€œaffirm” to tell the truth and no Bible is involved.

No! As John Adams stated in the Treaty of Tripoli, this country is not in any sense a Christian nation. There are many other quotes that also support the fact that this is not a Xtian nation.

The last bit is really important. Truely the founding fathers never meant for religion to play a role in the governing of the country. I constantly hear criticism from quarters of the religious right that prayer is not initiated in public schools. That is what parochial schools are for to provide a religious context to education. Public schoos are for everyone. Now the RR use the argument that God is being taken out of education, that christians are being discriminated against. I believe that God should not be there in the first place

Why be concerned about the separation of church and state?

Ignoring history, law, and fairness, fanatics are working vigorously to turn America into a Christian nation. Right wing Protestants and Catholics would impose their narrow morality on the rest of us, resisting women's rights, freedom for religious minorities and unbelievers, gay and lesbian rights, and civil rights for all. History shows us that only harm comes of uniting church and state.

America has never been a Christian nation. We are a free nation. Anne Gaylor, founder of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, points out: "There can be no religious freedom without the freedom to dissent."

I share this, often, to educate the masses. (aka them asses)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44443
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.