Agnostic.com

45 5

You're on a long flight next to a believer who wants to talk deeply about their faith/proselytize. What do you do?

• 6 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 15 votes
KingofHarts 7 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Debate ?

I tell them i like mythology though i tend to stick with Greek/Roman, & Norse mythos. Then i go into all the virgin births, gods hung on trees/sacrifices, resurrection stories, the similarities between christianity & egyptian mysticism...once they start getting pissed off, I smile, asked them to forgive me & spend the rest of the trip reading with my earbuds in.

Since I’m deaf without my processors for my cochlear Implant’s I’d just take them out and take a nap! Problem solved!

I ask the flight attendance for earplugs.

I don't particularly like to talk to anyone on the plane, and especially not someone who felt compelled to proselytize. Stick in the earbuds or sleep.

Test the waters to see if they are open minded, then sure.

I would kindly inform them that it must be a conversation not a sermon... I hated that... Being preached at with no right to cry... BULLSHIT...

Ask the question "What could a '' and religion possibly have in common?"

It really depends on my mood. I'll most likely ignore them. I am sick and tired of faith speeches.

Monad Level 4 Apr 3, 2018

Engage in conversation/discussion. I like discussing beliefs.

I'd make my own one up and argue that it's better than theirs 🙂

Probably something the TSA will frown upon...

Politely deter them and explain I have been there but I am not anymore

I usually avoid conversation, but once I chatted for hours with an evangelical Christian who was a sex-positive educator. Since I’m a secular sex educator, we had some things in common. By checking my assumptions, I was able to listen and learn from her.

UUNJ Level 8 June 22, 2018

Parachute out of the plane. Or as Jack Nicholson once said, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Intersting reading....many responders assume there are parachutes on-board. There are No parachutes on any commercial flights!

I would try to remind them of history but if that person gets too antagonistic and belligerent and refused to discuss rationally, I'd tell them to have a nice flight and ignore them.

Really depends on the individual. Is any real conversation possible? Are they so far gone only satire & depravity will shut them up? Are they just so boring &redundant that a coma is preferable? Decisions, decisions!!!

Shoot him if you can get away with it.

godef Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

I think I'd threaten violence

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.