Agnostic.com

18 23

Don't abbreviate 2020. It's for your own good.

"There are several ways that could pose a problem. Rheingold * cited the example of a stale check, or one that was written more than six months or so ago. If you have an old check lying around that's dated 1/4/20 and someone finds it, they could add "21" to the end of that date, and voila, the check is no longer stale.

"Or, let's say you sign a credit contract — an agreement between a borrower and a lender — and date it 1/4/20. Say you then miss a month or two of payments, and the lender goes to collect the debt that's owed. Theoretically, they could add "19" to the end of that date and argue that you owe more than a year's worth of payments.

"We could go on, but far be it for us to give any scammers out there more bright ideas."

• Ira Rheingold, Executive Director of the National Association of Consumer Advocates.

[cnn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A real consumer advocate would demand GMOs be labeled on all food and all poisons used from seed to consumer...

Fake news sponsored by MonsantoBAYER and ExxonMobil

So this Rheingold guy is warning people to be careful with checks lying around....more fake news from cnn

Same applies to any year since 1010 except those ending 00

Forgery is forgery....most stores have cameras to catch forgers.....

@Larry58Feminist

You are assuming most checks are written and contracts signed in stores in front of security cameras. Not so.

@LiterateHiker have you had a burglar ? Purse stolen? Why would anyone keep a check made out for a year to be forged by anyone?? True someone might cash a forged check where there are no cameras but I don't get it how many people could be swindled this way unless it was a spouse or family member or employee with access to your checkbook

Good advice!

I don't even abbreviate it when talking, or, probably "abbreviate" is the wrong word. I pronounce the year properly, "Two thousand- twenty", rather than like an optometrist describing your vision. I can't help it. It's probably because of my disappointment in the lack of grandeur of the whole century so far; for example, 2001 came along and not only were we not exploring strange alien obelisks orbiting Saturn (or Jupiter, in the film version), we had even given up on the Moon. And where's my flying car? There were supposed to be flying cars!!

Pronouncing the entire year's name is about all I can do to make it seem suitably impressive these days.

I've read that a couple times or more now, and all the dates I've written have been 2020. I will take no chances.

Some good information. Basically, one needs to be aware. If it's a stale check (I just shredded one which I put the wrong amount on) get rid of it, pronto. Also, lots has come out that paying by debit card is not safe. In this day and age of scams and hackers we really need to be C A R E F U L!!!

People still use checks?

Right? And does anyone actually look at the date?

You bet and in this day when debit cards or other forms of virtual payments are often hacked this might be the best way. I don't buy anything from my computer and often go to our libraries computers to enter information.

@JackPedigo Yes, people still use checks, though I admit I use far fewer than ever before. My HOA gets a check every year. I know I wrote about 5 checks last year, and that is the only one I remember, mostly cuz it was written in December.

@MrDragon

Of course people still use checks. I write 5 checks each month. My hair stylist and nail salon do not take credit cards.

@LiterateHiker they don't take cash either. WOW.
I do all my business electronically, other than that it's a money order from my bank or it's cash and carry. Haven't used checks in years.

I rarely write more than one a month, pay everything I can electronically. I once had a mailed payment get chewed up in USPS sorting equipment, and got the identifiable scraps sent back to me a few months later. The biller still dinged me for a late payment.

@alliwant ditto.

Wow, I haven't used checks since the banks invented free billpay, but thanks anyway.

This is nice to know. These days I write only one check a month and that is because I refuse to pay a buck to allow that payment on my debit card. 🙂

As a software developer I've been conditioned to write four digit years since, like 1990 when I started getting out in front of the Y2K problem in the code base of all my clients.

But this is a social engineering hack I hadn't considered; thanks for pointing it out. My wife mentioned it this morning also. I'll be sure and pass it on to acquaintances and anyone else who will listen (both of them, lol)

I would imagine that if you had a contract with someone, you would also have a copy and could prove that they had added the date. That's the whole point of the contract. Checks also have additional records that should prove you meant 2020 not whatever date someone might add. It's not a bad idea to write the whole year out but I don't think you need to be too worried about people taking advantage of that.

Exactly! Nothing to panic over

Most banks will alert you to out of sequence check numbers and a one year old check might be rejected by bank computers in stores

I've always been fascinated by time when I apply the date I go overboard 01/04/2020 😉😁🙄

I bend over backwards to never write checks (my handwriting is so terrible it's kinda a favor to others). I'm still on check #6 on my personal checking account I opened about 6 years ago - #1 was to my attorney as a retainer, the other 5 because the dog groomer only took cash or checks for about 2 years.

2 things in the bible I agree with. Everyone should take a day of working off a week, and don't lend or borrow money. Hopefully I'll remember not to abbreviate if I do have to sign something, though.

1of5 Level 8 Jan 4, 2020

Thanks for the wise words and heads up

Interesting! I pay my bills online, but for the one or two checks I do write, I’ll use the full monty — 2020 it is! Thanks for the caution!

I heard about this on the news.. always have to be careful

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:445877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.