Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK 'A Face In the Crowd' and the Unfulfilled Prediction of a Better America

"The sheer number of films released each year guarantees that some of them will appear to predict certain aspects of the future, but while Blade Runner (1982) foresaw digital billboards and Minority Report (2002) envisioned advertising targeted directly at individuals, other predictions reach beyond technology and consumer products. Network (1976) is probably the most often mentioned on that count as it forecast the rise of profit-oriented, yellow journalism, but Elia Kazan’s A Face In the Crowd (1957) deserves a similar recognition and respect. It not only anticipated the power television would have in influencing the public’s response to entertainment personalities and politicians but as mentioned in think pieces several times over the past few years, it also captures the rise and fall of someone like presidential candidate Donald Trump. Well, it predicted his rise anyway — the prophecy falls apart in its naive belief that the American people would turn their collective back on the man once his true face was revealed."

WilliamCharles 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree, half, if not most Americans, are gullible suckers.

Sadly accurate. While any of us can be manipulated on various levels, there are those seemingly impervious to facts and reality as revealed.

It's why I find Hitler's observation on crafting effective propaganda so chilling. He stated (paraphrased) don't worry about the intellegisia (smart people in general for the most part), there are not enough of them to matter.

Anytime I see poll numbers defying imagination of the national mindset towards a given issue built on entirely on fabrications drummed into the collective consciousness incessantly... I wince and think of just how right he was.

@WilliamCharles Guess I am a proud, but sad member of the intelligensia.

@WilliamCharles While there exists as many individual consciousnesses as there are people, I doubt the existence of a collective consciousness.
If a collective unconsciousness exists, does anyone know what’s in it? LOL.

@yvilletom

Was using it in the sense of what passes as the prevailing accepted narrative. Possibly a better, more precise term is available.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:445994
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.